UFC 217 - Bisping vs GSP - NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
He took Berger down

He had a zombie in front of him in the 5th and still couldn't commit

He even fought conservative against Cote after getting hit. I think he's totally showed he can turn conservative after eating shots.

I really can't believe anyone would bring up the Twood fight to show WB will turn it up to win a fight

He did not take Jake down during the same sequence. Jake dropped him, WB popped back up, secured an under hook and pressed him against the fence. The takedown came over a minute later when they had already separated.

I never said he turned it up to win the fight. I said he had his best (and most active) round in the 5th, which is true. He easily could have tapped to the guillotine if he wanted out of there in the 4th, but he fought his way out of it and finished the round on top. You're original comment made it sound like Wonderboy gives up when he gets hit, which I don't see any evidence of.

Not to mention, how many times have we seen Mas go into cruise control and lose a split decision?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not advocating a bet on WB. I just think some of the criticisms I'm seeing aren't totally fair.

I literally do not see a single advantage in GSPs favour here

Obviously people will say wrestling but I don't think that's an advantage vs bisping who will make George work to the death for every takedown and to keep him down. With GSPs added weight this could equal gassing early

Gsp is without advantage

Bisping all day
GSP mixes his TDs very nice with his striking and Bisping is def hittable. I see GSP taking down Bisping after catch him with something. And if GSP takes him down, Bisping is in serious trouble.

He did not take Jake down during the same sequence. Jake dropped him, WB popped back up, secured an under hook and pressed him against the fence. The takedown came over a minute later when they had already separated.

I never said he turned it up to win the fight. I said he had his best (and most active) round in the 5th, which is true. He easily could have tapped to the guillotine if he wanted out of there in the 4th, but he fought his way out of it and finished the round on top. You're original comment made it sound like Wonderboy gives up when he gets hit, which I don't see any evidence of.

Not to mention, how many times have we seen Mas go into cruise control and lose a split decision?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not advocating a bet on WB. I just think some of the criticisms I'm seeing aren't totally fair.
Hold on. Why are reading something not said? I NEVER NEVER said anything about giving up. Why are you even saying this?

You are arguing something not even being said dude.

If you don't think WB goes conservative when things heat up I don't know what to say. And how u got that I or anyone was saying he's a quitter out of that is crazy

I agree that Mas can put it in cruise (more in past) when he thinks he's in control. And you saying that doesn't mean u are calling Mas a quitter

Hold on. Why are reading something not said? I NEVER NEVER said anything about giving up. Why are you even saying this?

You are arguing something not even being said dude.

If you don't think WB goes conservative when things heat up I don't know what to say. And how u got that I or anyone was saying he's a quitter out of that is crazy

I agree that Mas can put it in cruise (more in past) when he thinks he's in control. And you saying that doesn't mean u are calling Mas a quitter

You said: "I do think WB will be the 1 to be conservative if he gets rocked while Mas will still try to win." Maybe I'm taking that the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you're saying that WB has quit in him if he gets hurt.

You also referenced the Cote fight as an example of this. Cote landed almost nothing of significance in that fight and the vast majority of the strikes he did land were leg kicks. WB was countering him hard the entire fight and the third round was easily WB's best round. He dropped Cote with a left that might have finished a guy with a lesser beard. Again, I don't see how this fight is relevant to your point.

WB fought ultra-conservatively in both Woodley fights, no doubt about it. People can make their own judgements about why this was the case, but it wasn't like his output dropped off after Woodley hurt him. Like I mentioned before, it actually increased after he was nearly finished in the first fight.

Fighting conservative is not quitting. Let's just stop with that.

Cote did land a shot in the first and WB was backing up after. Yea, he countered after but he didn't pressure.

Once again the 5th rd with woodley was Wood a walking zombie. He STILL didn't go after him in fear of getting hit! He tends to be conservative when he feels the danger even if the fight is in the balance.

I stand by my belief that if these 2 have a shoot out that WB will likely be the one that goes into conservative mode.

Masvidal may coast if he thinks he's in command like he has before even though he seems to have changed that on his move up

Fighting conservative is not quitting. Let's just stop with that.

Cote did land a shot in the first and WB was backing up after. Yea, he countered after but he didn't pressure.

Once again the 5th rd with woodley was Wood a walking zombie. He STILL didn't go after him in fear of getting hit! He tends to be conservative when he feels the danger even if the fight is in the balance.

I stand by my belief that if these 2 have a shoot out that WB will likely be the one that goes into conservative mode.

Masvidal may coast if he thinks he's in command like he has before even though he seems to have changed that on his move up

I guess I took what you initially said too literally. Agreed on all of these points.

I think this is a super close fight, both guys have had their moments of inactivity for sure and I can understand a play on Mas as the dog.

GSP mixes his TDs very nice with his striking and Bisping is def hittable. I see GSP taking down Bisping after catch him with something. And if GSP takes him down, Bisping is in serious trouble.

Ok

Gsp mixed his striking and wrestling the best of anyone ever at his peak

That was a long time ago, his last few fights in the ufc he looked sluggish and wasn't able to completely dominate very physically weak fighters like diaz and condit. That was how he looked like 3 years ago, since then he's had 0 fights and has obviously not been training as if he was an active fighter so it is fair to assume he has regressed further.

Bisping is much much stronger than diaz and condit and defo will not get muscled by gsp. Gsp may time a good takedown but bisping has some of the best defensive wrestling in the sport and is a bigger man, I certainly see him getting back to his feet rather easily if taken down, he always does

As for saying bisping is in big trouble is gsp takes him down ? I'm amazed you think so, bisping is in no trouble on the ground, Gsp doesn't have wicked ground and pound or wicked submissions. There is minimal threat on the ground

Gsp in my mind poses such little threat anywhere. His only real hope is to jab and move and get a late takedown to win rounds and eek out a decision

I have a bet on Bisping as well but...GSP surely has better spots than Bisping.
Fight iq? Agility? Wrestling? I dare to say than he is even stronger. He is a very thick and muscular guy, Bisping does not have even close to the muscle mass that GSP has.
Also re the cardio issue on GSP due to added weight. He specifically mentioned that he gained the weight slowly before fight camp so that he can get used to it, not fast bulk as others do.

Gsp isn't agile he is stiff and cumbersome, this will be amplified with the added weight

I'd say bisping is lighter on his feet and moves better than gsp.

Gsp won't be stronger than bisping. Bisping was a 205er he's a big thick strong dude who gave a rounded to the gills bull like chael sonnen all he could handle in the grappling and strength department.

Gsp was flagging and slowing down at his 170 weight class vs diaz and condit. He won't hack it at 185. He uses ge wrestling as a get out if jail card. Get tired and score a takedown and relax. Bisping won't allow him to relax for one second

Bisping holds very close to every advantage here

I have seen MANY people on Bisping and read most of the reasons were on what they think gsp will be like when he comes back. I dont think there is really any tape watching that can help out in this fight, its going to be going all on feel. I think i will put more trust in GSP, I think he was burnt out, no real challenges and i guess some kind of stuff going on outside of fighting. I trust that he is always in shape, always has a game plan and he sticks to it. he is a very, very intelligent fighter and always fights to win no matter if its boring or not. I think he has been training for years, he always said he wanted time to put on the weight properly when they were talking about fighting anderson. I think he has done that, he has been training and for a good while putting a gameplan in for bisping. Its not in his nature to be unprepared. Bisping is a very good fighter, but despite the ko of rockhold does not have 1 punch ko power so he will have to win at least 3 rounds and i just dont see him doing that....unless GSP is indeed done which is possible but I dont think he is. If GSP is even 80% of what he was he will be EXACTLY the GSP we remember. doing enough on the feet to suck bisping close and get sneaky takedowns and controlling him on the mat long enough to take round after round. In short i believe in GSP's sacrifice to get himself into proper shape, get the right gameplan and execute. He is not old by any stretch and always has kept himself in great condition, i do not see why that would change now. I am going to put a fairly high bet on gsp and more than likely some on ends in dec, as i dont see a finish here. If gsp comes in not prepared after this long layoff then i will take my loss as i think he will and if he does then bisping is not beating him.

As for saying bisping is in big trouble is gsp takes him down ? I'm amazed you think so, bisping is in no trouble on the ground, Gsp doesn't have wicked ground and pound or wicked submissions. There is minimal threat on the ground

Gsp in my mind poses such little threat anywhere. His only real hope is to jab and move and get a late takedown to win rounds and eek out a decision
I didnt ment that Bisping will be smashed and KO`d if this hit the mat. GSP doesn`t have wicked gnp but look what he did with Condit on the ground. Carlos ate a lot of punishment from GSP`s elbows and got cut. He can hurt Bisping pretty bad with his gnp and british is not the tough motherfucker who he pretends to be.

I didnt ment that Bisping will be smashed and KO`d if this hit the mat. GSP doesn`t have wicked gnp but look what he did with Condit on the ground. Carlos ate a lot of punishment from GSP`s elbows and got cut. He can hurt Bisping pretty bad with his gnp and british is not the tough motherfucker who he pretends to be.
Bisping is a MUCH stronger wrestler than Condit

I didn't realise GSP had been out four years. I am really liking Bisping here.

Haven't they both had multiple knee surgeries? Bisping more recently with the torn meniscus this year I believe.

Such an unpredictable fight, IMO. So many unknowns.

Yes, GSP has had more knee surgeries than Bisping, but Bisping hasn't fought since he had his last surgery.

I thought i'd like Bisping at + odds, but then I remembered my intelligence is #elite and when your brain is at such a high level you don't bet a fight with guy who has been out for 4 years vs guy who barely beat a 55 year old in his last fight.

Might throw some coin on the over since they're both decision machines and bookies seem to have forgotten that, but no one should have any confidence touching a moneyline here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back