UFC 265: Lewis vs Gane - Discussion Thread

Yeah, him engaging Dos Santos on the feet for longer than I'd like will probably happen, but I think Anderson is right around the ball park of guys Miles has been able to grind before. Might be underrating him a bit, but Anderson also reliying on his own wrestling game makes me think he'll give the fight away.

I'm not on Anderson either though. It's just one I wouldn't be too sure with Johns on. I actually like this one ITD. I think Johns may be able to break Dos Santos, but I also think Johns may get careless.

Chiesa is noticeably bigger than Luque. I don't know if I'd say it's a "massive" size difference, but it looks fairly significant.

Sandals vs. shoes... but man, Johns is listed as 2 inches taller =\

28069C0B-75A6-4D08-ABD3-5CB2F4C4DDDA.jpeg

Luque nsc -130.

Nice hedge to Cheisa action

think if it goes the distance it’s probably because Cheisa blankets him. If Cheisa can’t consistently take him down, luque is going to touch him

I just realised Anderson Does Santos is 36 at bantamweight, jeez.

Luque nsc -130.

Nice hedge to Cheisa action

think if it goes the distance it’s probably because Cheisa blankets him. If Cheisa can’t consistently take him down, luque is going to touch him

Agree.

Luque has won me a lot of money over his UFC tenure, whether it's coming from betting on him, or betting against him(against WB, didn't bet when he fought Edwards).

I think Chiesa is just going to be too much for him to handle though. We saw Luque in the past get taken down and controlled by Leon, granted, that was a long time ago and he's improved. But Chiesa has shown more improvements over the years than Luque has.

This is the same Luque that was losing to Barbarena before finishing him in the 3rd. The same Luque who barely won a split decision against Perry.

Even Randy Brown took him down a few times. And he slows down in every 3rd round.

Chiesa will slow down as well, but we saw Chiesa look like he was completely gassed and still take down and control a better grappler in Magny over 25 minutes.

I think Luque is just getting way too much love for beating the ghost of Woodley in the fashion in which he did. Chiesa @ +130 last week was the play, I'd still play him at the current odds, though. And his decision line being +3xx is insane. Chiesa said himself that a win is more than enough, when he was asked if he thinks he needs a finish.

I'm in the minority on Munoz as well.

I was all over Aldo vs Vera. Aldo tends to win almost every first round he's in. He beat Yan in r1, Vera, and Moraes.

In round 2 versus Vera, Vera worked his way back into the fight, and won round 2 after figuring out Aldo. However, for the first time in a long time, he relied on his grappling. He took Vera's back at the beginning of the third round, and the rest is history, he won 2-1. Vera is a fringe top 15 fighter(who I have a lot of respect for) but Aldo seems to be on a downward trend.

He looked tired af in round 3 versus Vera, but managed to secure the victory with his BJJ.

Munhoz has an iron chin, better grappling than Vera(I don't think there will be any grappling in this fight though). Aldo doesn't throw nearly as many leg kicks as he used to either, I would 100% take a side bet for up to $500 on who throws more leg kicks in this fight -- Munhoz or Aldo.

Munhoz will probably lose round 1, and pick up the pace in rd2/rd3 en route to a decision win. He'll be more active, throw more shots, and be able to absorb the strikes thrown at him. If this fight is finished though, I see Munhoz getting it, not Aldo.

Aldo has been in some fucking wars man, and has been around the game for a long time. They're the same age, but Munhoz has so much more left in terms of mileage than Aldo does.

Gane/Lewis

Born and raised in Houston, Derrick Lewis has been one of my favorite fighters to watch in UFC history. He walks out to "Tops Drop" by Fat Pat, a song I grew up to, and is your typical black guy from Houston. I grew up with dozens of people just like him, and they're just real down to earth people that like to smoke weed, BBQ, and will represent Houston until their death.

But Derrick Lewis isn't winning this fight unfortunately, which sucks because all the people I know are going to see him win, and legitimately think he has a huge shot.

If you look back at Lewis's resume, let's be real, he should've lost to Volkov. Vokov got complacent with 15 seconds left, and paid the price(I was on Lewis in this fight, watching it in Vegas -- it was on the Khabib/Conor card).

I was initially on Latifi versus Derrick, and then switched sides to Lewis. I think Lewis was -185, as it was Latifi's first fight @ HW. I'm gonna be honest, at the end of that fight, I thought Derrick lost. He landed I think FIVE shots that entire fight and was controlled for a lot of it.

Blaydes, can't take that win away from him. He lost round 1 and was out struck, but was patiently waiting for that uppercut and it paid off. Great win for him, best of his career by far imo.

But looking back even further, Lewis gets hurt a fucking lot, and yeah he's doing it to play possum a bit sometimes, but he legitimately gets damaged to the body/legs way too much. Browne almost finished him with a body kick, and then Lewis famously came back, once again, and took Browne's soul.

JDS pieced him up relatively easy, and this was JDS at the tail end of his career. I don't think he won a fight in the UFC after beating Derrick.

Gane is getting too much shit for being a decision fighter, when there's no fucking way he wins this by decision. Derrick Lewis isn't the type of fighter that wants to be in the cage for 25 minutes.

I've bet against Gane a lot in the past, but he's grown on me, and he's been growing tremendously as an athlete. His fight IQ is extremely high, and he'll start off slow, and find opportunities to slow Lewis down with leg kicks, body kicks, and maybe even takedowns. Blaydes wasn't able to take him down because that's the sole thing Derrick was focused on. With Gane, his striking will present and opportunity for the takedowns if he wants them.

I'm big on Gane ITD +115, Gane sub +1200, and Gane RNC +8000. I'm actually not playing Gane straight, as I'm that confident in the fact that he'll get the finish here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luque has won me a lot of money over his UFC tenure, whether it's coming from betting on him, or betting against him(against WB, didn't bet when he fought Edwards).

I think Chiesa is just going to be too much for him to handle though. We saw Luque in the past get taken down and controlled by Leon, granted, that was a long time ago and he's improved. But Chiesa has shown more improvements over the years than Luque has.

This is the same Luque that was losing to Barbarena before finishing him in the 3rd. The same Luque who barely won a split decision against Perry.

Even Randy Brown took him down a few times. And he slows down in every 3rd round.

Chiesa will slow down as well, but we saw Chiesa look like he was completely gassed and still take down and control a better grappler in Magny over 25 minutes.

I think Luque is just getting way too much love for beating the ghost of Woodley in the fashion in which he did. Chiesa @ +130 last week was the play, I'd still play him at the current odds, though. And his decision line being +3xx is insane. Chiesa said himself that a win is more than enough, when he was asked if he thinks he needs a finish.

I'm in the minority on Munoz as well.

I was all over Aldo vs Vera. Aldo tends to win almost every first round he's in. He beat Yan in r1, Vera, and Moraes.

In round 2 versus Vera, Vera worked his way back into the fight, and won round 2 after figuring out Vera. However, for the first time in a long time, he relied on his grappling. He took Vera's back at the beginning of the third round, and the rest is history, he won 2-1. Vera is a fringe top 15 fighter(who I have a lot of respect for) but Aldo seems to be on a downward trend.

He looked tired af in round 3 versus Vera, but managed to secure the victory with his BJJ.

Munhoz has an iron chin, better grappling than Vera(I don't think there will be any grappling in this fight though). Aldo doesn't throw nearly as many leg kicks as he used to either, I would 100% take a side bet for up to $500 on who throws more leg kicks in this fight -- Munhoz or Aldo.

Munhoz will probably lose round 1, and pick up the pace in rd2/rd3 en route to a decision win. He'll be more active, throw more shots, and be able to absorb the strikes thrown at him. If this fight is finished though, I see Munhoz getting it, not Aldo.

Aldo has been in some fucking wars man, and has been around the game for a long time. They're the same age, but Munhoz has so much more left in terms of mileage than Aldo does.

Gane/Lewis

Born and raised in Houston, Derrick Lewis has been one of my favorite fighters to watch in UFC history. He walks out to "Tops Drop" by Fat Pat, a song I grew up to, and is your typical black guy from Houston. I grew up with dozens of people just like him, and they're just real down to earth people that like to smoke weed, BBQ, and will represent Houston until their death.

But Derrick Lewis isn't winning this fight unfortunately, which sucks because all the people I know are going to see him win, and legitimately think he has a huge shot.

If you look back at Lewis's resume, let's be real, he should've lost to Volkov. Vokov got complacent with 15 seconds left, and paid the price(I was on Lewis in this fight, watching it in Vegas -- it was on the Khabib/Conor card).

I was initially on Latifi versus Derrick, and then switched sides to Lewis. I think Lewis was -185, as it was Latifi's first fight @ HW. I'm gonna be honest, at the end of that fight, I thought Derrick lost. He landed I think FIVE shots that entire fight and was controlled for a lot of it.

Blaydes, can't take that win away from him. He lost round 1 and was out struck, but was patiently waiting for that uppercut and it paid off. Great win for him, best of his career by far imo.

But looking back even further, Lewis gets hurt a fucking lot, and yeah he's doing it to play possum a bit sometimes, but he legitimately gets damaged to the body/legs way too much. Browne almost finished him with a body kick, and then Lewis famously came back, once again, and took Browne's soul.

JDS pieced him up relatively easy, and this was JDS at the tail end of his career. I don't think he won a fight in the UFC after beating Derrick.

Gane is getting too much shit for being a decision fighter, when there's no fucking way he wins this by decision. Derrick Lewis isn't the type of fighter that wants to be in the cage for 25 minutes.

I've bet against Gane a lot in the past, but he's grown on me, and he's been growing tremendously as an athlete. His fight IQ is extremely high, and he'll start off slow, and find opportunities to slow Lewis down with leg kicks, body kicks, and maybe even takedowns. Blaydes wasn't able to take him down because that's the sole thing Derrick was focused on. With Gane, his striking will present and opportunity for the takedowns if he wants them.

I'm big on Gane ITD +115, Gane sub +1200, and Gane RNC +8000. I'm actually not playing Gane straight, as I'm that confident in the fact that he'll get the finish here.

Good stuff. My only counter-point would be that Barbarena and Perry are strikers and Chiesa isn’t. It’s a completely different stylistic match up and I think whoever wins the fight will look like they should have been a much bigger favorite than the odds indicate

Good stuff. My only counter-point would be that Barbarena and Perry are strikers and Chiesa isn’t. It’s a completely different stylistic match up and I think whoever wins the fight will look like they should have been a much bigger favorite than the odds indicate

Luque is a monster, and is Chiesa's biggest threat by far since his jump to WW. Anyone taking a stab on him, especially at the current odds, I don't blame at all.

If Luque goes out there and stuffs a few takedowns, he may look like a -400 favorite due to how big the discrepancy on the feet is.

It's an intriguing fight because Chiesa is huge, and hasn't had a problem taking down anyone at WW.

But Magny, the ghost of Diego, Condit(lol) and RDA don't have the greatest TDD.

Luque's previous match ups have been almost all against strikers, so we don't know how his TDD in 2021 is. Aside from seeing him taken down but not controlled I think once by Randy Brown.

Great stylistic matchup that's going to set up the winner to fight a top 3 opponent.

Neither one of them have a good chance against Usman imo, but that's a conversation for a later date.

This is going to be a diffuclt card to bet and sports fantasy on sites like FD on for sure. I do see Gane winning but i dont hate if some are going on Lewis Ko line is Lewis option of winning.

I just re-watched Vera & Aldo. Aldo definitely gassed after 1.5 rounds.

He'll be able to punish the body heavily, especially because the way Pedro blocks.

However, unless that gets Pedro out there or makes him gas faster than Aldo does...

Frankie gave a much higher pace than Aldo can give and for longer to get that win.

Off topic but one thing that makes this sport...unique/fun/ interesting is Dana as an overweight billionaire who wears faded jeans and a wafflehouse t-shirt to media day and also thinks he's going to hold back Derrick Lewis if a fight breaks out on stage.<45>

Simmons-KO1
Morales-Dec
Gatto-Sub1
Johns-Dec
Kape-KO2
Karlolina K-Dec
Meinfeild-KO1
Green-Dec
Kenney-Dec
Hill-Dec
Luque-KO2
Aldo-Dec
Gane-Dec

A quick tip-if someone is on Gane DEC you have GANE uninanimous decision at 3.50(+250) which is better than just the decision line and I don't see it going split

For those betting Gane decision based on him fighting safe, etc---ask yourselves: do you REALLY think Lewis is gonna hang in there for 25 minutes??? REALLY? Do you think he even WANTS to?

He's gone into the 4th round a couple times in his career but against a skilled, accurate guy like Gane he's going to be eating a ton of strikes. I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that we don't see either Lewis fold at some point (likely) or find that home run shut and put Gane away (less likely). I like paying juice on u3.5 or u4.5 way WAY better than rolling the dice on a decision prop in a fight that involves an overweight HW who's never gone 25 minutes one time in his life.

For those betting Gane decision based on him fighting safe, etc---ask yourselves: do you REALLY think Lewis is gonna hang in there for 25 minutes??? REALLY? Do you think he even WANTS to?

He's gone into the 4th round a couple times in his career but against a skilled, accurate guy like Gane he's going to be eating a ton of strikes. I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that we don't see either Lewis fold at some point (likely) or find that home run shut and put Gane away (less likely). I like paying juice on u3.5 or u4.5 way WAY better than rolling the dice on a decision prop in a fight that involves an overweight HW who's never gone 25 minutes one time in his life.

Agreed. Gane Sub

This is going to be a diffuclt card to bet and sports fantasy on sites like FD on for sure. I do see Gane winning but i dont hate if some are going on Lewis Ko line is Lewis option of winning.

My contrary lean of Lewis over Gane is my best chance on DraftKings this card.

Back