UFC 270 PBP/Discussion

A lot of people are acting like he just randomly dropped back for a leg lock though. I guess that's the point that I'm trying to make. Ngannou was on his way to sweeping. Obviously that can be countered, but I personally think Gane was on his way to being swept and decided to go for the leg. I think he figured he'd either get it or end up on top. He got outgrappled in my mind, plain and simple.

Yeah I get you. Him going for that leglock was absolutely a reaction to Ngannou clearing space and starting to get him turned. Gane definitely didn't just randomly decide to drop back for a leglock. I'm not sure he gets swept there if he shifts all his weight to the other side (like he did on Ngannou's first sweep attempt) but that's also a "feel" thing and Gane in that situation knows better than anyone else whether he's going to lose top position.

Sometimes it's just plain hard to hold a bigger, stronger guy down. We've seen Derrick Lewis straight up bench press guys off him using technique that would never work for almost anyone else. Technique is talked about nonstop when it comes to grappling, but sometimes just being stronger is the difference in positioning.

Back