UFC 279 PBP/Discussion

i cannot believe he survive olives and dariush on the ground then gets insta tapped by that guilly from diaz. had tony parlay ender hedged with +400 nate dec disgusting

+$744 total across 3 accounts.

I hedged some, but this one kind of sucks. But Nate hitting the 4rd sub of the night also won me $86.

Li/DRod DEC @-125 V
Chimaev Sub @+280 V
Tony F @-135 X
25 to win 272.67

Diaz@+130 V
72.67 to win 94.47

Just need Tony to close this out! Dropped a free bet on Diaz too so I'll be up for the night regardless. :)

View attachment 942881

Welp didn't go like I expected but still profited about the same, fun night fellas. Glad Tony didn't take too much damage.

+ $130

click thumbnail for betslip

Screenshot_20220911-003925.jpg

That's a good main event. Respect to Tony and Nate. Sick submission win

Tony's style has always been a bit awkward and unorthodox. The kind of guy who people would say wasn't really fundamentally sound with his striking but could be effective. He relied a ton on instinct, unpredictability, and using odd angles. And he had good reflexes and a feel for when to throw which strike. He shoulder rolled a lot of strikes so they didn't land flush. In some ways (I'm NOT saying he's the MMA equivalent but there are some stylistic similarities relative to their sport) he reminds me of Roy Jones Jr.

The problem now is, at his age and where he is in his career he can't get away with the stuff he did before. Where he used to shoulder roll incoming punches and make his opponent pay with return fire, he now spins all the way around and turns his back to reset halfway across the cage. It was bizarre to watch, and it shows just how far he is from his peak.

Tony thinks he's "back." I hope he gets more of his fans to believe the same, that way his future opponent(s) in the UFC won't be super juiced like they really should be.

I think it was actually the Gaethje fight that did him in.

He cut weight twice in a month leading up to that fight too. Just to prove he could. Because...he's Tony. And then he ate a crazy amount of bombs from Gaethje that put almost anyone else to sleep. And even at the end of that fight when he was getting blasted, he shook his head and wanted to keep fighting. People don't take those shots from Justin and continue, and Tony wanted the fight to go on so badly that he went after the ref.

That fight was the effective end of El Cucuy. The Boogeyman was gone. He never should have cut weight twice. Maybe that wasn't what did him in, but he looked sluggish even vs Justin compared to his previous fights and then he took an insane amount of punishment.

He cut weight twice in a month leading up to that fight too. Just to prove he could. Because...he's Tony. And then he ate a crazy amount of bombs from Gaethje that put almost anyone else to sleep. And even at the end of that fight when he was getting blasted, he shook his head and wanted to keep fighting. People don't take those shots from Justin and continue, and Tony wanted the fight to go on so badly that he went after the ref.

That fight was the effective end of El Cucuy. The Boogeyman was gone. He never should have cut weight twice. Maybe that wasn't what did him in, but he looked sluggish even vs Justin compared to his previous fights and then he took an insane amount of punishment.

That fight eerily reminded me of an old boxing match between Emanuel Augustus and Ray Oliveira. Oliveira kept shaking his head almost in a nervous tic this guy is about to die kind of way that Augustus exclusively went to the body the rest of the fight of and refused to hit him in the head.

I always wondered if that head shaking was an involuntary physiological reaction or just him trying to shake the cobwebs, but it looked disturbing as hell. Reminded me of Chandler reacting very similarly in his TKO loss to Brooks in Bellator.

Back