UFC 299 - First UFC Event - What to expect

UFCNoob2024

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am somewhat new fan to the UFC, been casually following for a few years now and have really got into it the past year or so.

My wife and I just bought our tickets to go to go to Miami for the 299 card, she actually enjoys watching the big fights.

It will be our first event and we don't really know what to expect. Anyone care to share some tips and advice on what we can expect being at the fight?

LOL and without great seats by Dana and them, you'll be watching most of it on the big screen.

make a follow up post on how it went.

personally, i can't imagine it being better than watching from home. i've been to some live pro sports events and found them boring. especially without good camera angles or commentary. terrible bathrooms. bad food.

LOL and without great seats by Dana and them, you'll be watching most of it on the big screen.

i was wondering about this. do most people without cage side seats just look up the entire night lol?

It’s going to be a long night but I highly recommend arriving at the start and watching the card in its entirety. How many chances are you going to get? Best to make the most of it.

It is not the best live spectator sport. You’ll likely end up watching the screens more than you expected. Just hard to get a good view a lot of the time no matter where you sit. But the atmosphere is a good time regardless.

I don’t know if it’s like this every where but drunken idiots trying to be tough guys has been a thing when I’ve been. They’re annoying but best to just ignore. In my experience they seem to disappear at some point so I presume they get tossed out but that may differ depending on the arena.

And as with all live events, expect to pay out the ass for food and drinks, Long lines for the bathroom, etc.

Edit: One more tip. The earlier a fight ends the longer the break between will be typically, especially on the prelim portions. Best time to go to the restroom, get food/drinks etc.

Last edited:
Expect a lot of drunken idiots.

My absolute favorite UFC event happened over a decade ago with Hughes vs Penn 3. A bunch of Hawaiian dudes flew into to Detroit to support BJ and they were flying the Hawaiian flag sitting 2 rows in front of me. Well in the row between us was a bunch of drunken dumbasses who started to boo them and told them "go back to your fucking country".

The Hawaiians were understandably extremely confused and responded with "we're from Hawaii you dumbass" which somehow just did not click with the drunkards. After they attempted to get a USA chant going they threw a beer at the Hawaiians and then fists started flying with me having front row seats to the whole spectacle.

It was amazing.

Last edited:
Ronda and her brothers are at every event, so look for them in the front row

z9tbh.gif

i was wondering about this. do most people without cage side seats just look up the entire night lol?
No, even nose bleeds aint that bad (I mean unless youre at one of those huge arenas or stadiums). Up to 15k is fine, granted the times I stayed on nose bleeds, it was like first row or close.

Cage side (unless first row which is impossible and/or expensive to get) is horrible. Ive been one time at the floor and it was shit. Cage is high but you cant see shit with people in front of you.

Greetings!

I am somewhat new fan to the UFC, been casually following for a few years now and have really got into it the past year or so.

My wife and I just bought our tickets to go to go to Miami for the 299 card, she actually enjoys watching the big fights.

It will be our first event and we don't really know what to expect. Anyone care to share some tips and advice on what we can expect being at the fight?
Get there early. Don't skip any fights. The first UFC event I went to was UFC 83 in Montreal and the 2nd prelim was some HW that was 2-0 and nobody had ever heard of named Cain Velasquez!!!! I had heard he was really good and had so much trouble finding opponents willing to fight him but seeing him move like a WW and destroy his opponent was amazing. Then in retrospect being able to say I saw Cain live is kind of cool.

Don't drink too much too early or you may not remember the Main Event!!! Also it can take forever to get to piss if you wait until in between fights as there is lots of beer flowing and the lines get long.

Watch TS is probably like 6'9" with a kickboxing background and a black belt in Judo

As far as what to expect, definitely get ready to go heads up with me and BoxerMaurits for Sherdog poster of the year should you take a fan pic or two.

If you have a decent pair of binoculars carry them around your neck, they'll come in handy.

Bring a power bank, phone is gonna drain really fast between video, pics and just browsing during the Boring fights.

3 things have stood out to me from the 2 FN cards I've been to here in NC.

1. Fighters are much bigger on fight night. I was absolutely amazed that Michael Chiesa could make 155. He looked big for 170.
2. The impact of the shots is wild to hear in person. Watched my old HS teammate, Nate the Train, take one on the chin from Herbert Burns in his debut and the sound of the knee landing was scary.
3. You can literally feel the energy in the air. Watched Short Hair Pooh Bear put out Gabe Green and from the moment Battle walked out, the arena just had an electricity to it and it only built from there. Can't imagine what it will be like with the card that you get to see!

Should be a heck of an experience, that card is absolutely loaded! Enjoy the experience, it'll be a long day, but should be an amazing memory for you and your wife to share!

Depends on where you sit, it's really hard to make out what fighters are doing, especially the smaller weight classes. Half the time you'll be staring at the big screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back