UFC 299 - First UFC Event - What to expect

If you have a decent pair of binoculars carry them around your neck, they'll come in handy.
I actually did bring one, and felt like a jackass when I realized I should've stayed home and ordered the ppv.

I actually did bring one, and felt like a jackass when I realized I should've stayed home and ordered the ppv.
Really? I enjoyed watching them that way, I could see the blood & sweat flying off their heads when hit, it was almost like being in the octagon. The environment & the energy also made it really fun. I did catch Rogan scrolling his phone during the fights a couple times.

Of course this was for 218, 225, & 238 which were all pretty epic cards. Shitty fights could change everything.

Last edited:
Expect lots of drunk idiots who in 2024 still have no idea what they are watching

Greetings!

I am somewhat new fan to the UFC, been casually following for a few years now and have really got into it the past year or so.

My wife and I just bought our tickets to go to go to Miami for the 299 card, she actually enjoys watching the big fights.

It will be our first event and we don't really know what to expect. Anyone care to share some tips and advice on what we can expect being at the fight?
The atmosphere is crazy at live events. Have fun, Sherbro!

Really? I enjoyed watching them that way, I could see the blood sweat flying off the heads when hit, it was almost like being in the octagon. The environment & the energy also made it really fun. I'd did catch Rogan scrolling his phone during the fights a couple times.

Of course this was for 218, 225, & 238 which were all pretty epic cards. Shitty fights could change everything.
Brother I was at 149 close to the nosebleeds. I can only imagine the awesome things you witnessed. To this day that experience ruined live events for me.😅

I went to both Mcgregor vs Khabib and Mcgregor Porier 3. The biggest piece of advice I can give is to buy the cheapest tickets, than go on a ticket selling site to see which tickets haven’t been bought yet and sneak down to sit closer. Did this at both of those events and ended up with AMAZING seats and even met Paul Pierce

Greetings!

I am somewhat new fan to the UFC, been casually following for a few years now and have really got into it the past year or so.

My wife and I just bought our tickets to go to go to Miami for the 299 card, she actually enjoys watching the big fights.

It will be our first event and we don't really know what to expect. Anyone care to share some tips and advice on what we can expect being at the fight?
Greatly appreciate all of the responses, my concerns are being able to actually see the fight and if its worth it or not compared to watching it on TV. Im most excited about the energy and buildup for each fight. We really went back and forth on if we should go or not but decided that if we have the opportunity to do so, we should! We are treating it as an extended weekend vacation to Miami and also going to a big fight. I will report back on our experience and be sure to share some pictures.

We are trying to figure out what time to get there, if it was up to be i would be there from the start but we are planning to do dinner and then go. My goal is to get there for the Pereira vs Oleksiejczuk fight

I like watching all fights, that card is definitely worth it live. Just remember its mostly guys at events so bathrooms get really backed up, plan ahead accordingly, its like a girls restroom with the lines. Especially if you're drinking a bunch of beer.

Greatly appreciate all of the responses, my concerns are being able to actually see the fight and if its worth it or not compared to watching it on TV. Im most excited about the energy and buildup for each fight.

Some may disagree but I would say watching it on TV is the best way to really follow the action because the camera angles give you the best views. But even though it’s not the most optimal viewing situation, the experience is absolutely something every fan should do at least once.

Greetings!

All events are amazing to go to, even the backroom Ammy ones, but you choose 299 as your first? Very lucky indeed OP. Enjoy your time with the old lady, get there a little early to grab parking on the outskirts so you can be among the fist out.

Congrats on becoming a newer MMA fan, welcome to hell enjoy your stay :)

Greetings!

I EXPECT that you paid entirely too much for your tickets.

Get there early to watch the prelims. Know where the bathrooms are and expect that your wait will be longer that your wife's.
Time your bathroom breaks so that you don't miss any action.

Depending on where you sit, you may see a lot of fighters there. They're mostly very friendly and will be cool with photos, but don't hound them too much.

Expect a really good card and enjoyable experience.

DON'T BLINK!

Get there early. Don't skip any fights. The first UFC event I went to was UFC 83 in Montreal and the 2nd prelim was some HW that was 2-0 and nobody had ever heard of named Cain Velasquez!!!! I had heard he was really good and had so much trouble finding opponents willing to fight him but seeing him move like a WW and destroy his opponent was amazing. Then in retrospect being able to say I saw Cain live is kind of cool.

Don't drink too much too early or you may not remember the Main Event!!! Also it can take forever to get to piss if you wait until in between fights as there is lots of beer flowing and the lines get long.
Three things stand out from UFC 83. GSP really fucked up Matt Serra, Velasquez was a beast, and that was the turning point for me with Nate Quarry. Was never really a fan of his until that night. I can't recall a single fight where I have ever actually laughed out loud as much as that one. Except for maybe rock 'em sock 'em Sanchez vs. Ross Pearson (I think). At one point Sanchez was chasing Pearson across the octagon spamming one-two's, caught nothing but air, and got countered every single time. Fuck that was funny, and to be fair it could have been Matt Riddle. I was hammered at the time.

I have attended two live events, and yes, the atmosphere is electric and the energy is wicked. I was very close on the floor both times, and it really was worth attending live just for the experience. That being said, I actually prefer to watch at home now. Better view, I can do or say whatever the fuck I want, food and drink is way, way cheaper... and I don't have to worry about all the heroes hopped up on liquid courage.

Also, Bruce Buffer could have played a hobbit or dwarf in Hollywood. Damn that guy is some short in real life. Hit up a bar with Jeremy Horn after Rory MacDonald vs. Tarec Saffiedine, and man... that dude was fucking hammered. He could barely speak, his eyes were going in different directions, but he was really cool. A hot chick would walk by and it was like Charlie Brown's parents were speaking beside me, it was just one long slur with rising tones, lol.

Brother I was at 149 close to the nosebleeds. I can only imagine the awesome things you witnessed. To this day that experience ruined live events for me.😅
Wow that's notoriously one of the worst cards ever. I remember the initial card had Aldo, Bisping, Shogun vs Thiago Silva, & some other shit. Did you buy tickets before all the fallouts?

What an awesome event to go for your first one!!! I’ve only ever been to one event as I live in Perth, you’ll have a great time!!!

I EXPECT that you paid entirely too much for your tickets.

Get there early to watch the prelims. Know where the bathrooms are and expect that your wait will be longer that your wife's.
Time your bathroom breaks so that you don't miss any action.

Depending on where you sit, you may see a lot of fighters there. They're mostly very friendly and will be cool with photos, but don't hound them too much.

Expect a really good card and enjoyable experience.

DON'T BLINK!

Yes i know for a fact that we paid entirely too much for it but we also have nothing to compare it to. Ill only know if it was worth it or not come Sunday!

Yes i know for a fact that we paid entirely too much for it but we also have nothing to compare it to. Ill only know if it was worth it or not come Sunday!

UFC 205 was the first PPV I saw live, what you paid was probably nothing to what I had to dish out lol. End of the event it was definitely worth it and i regret nothing.

But just enjoy it, I would say time your beer/food/restroom breaks like if you know a fight is going to decision you can rush to get food or go to the restroom while they announce the winner since you'll beat out people who are waiting to hear the decision.

Wow that's notoriously one of the worst cards ever. I remember the initial card had Aldo, Bisping, Shogun vs Thiago Silva, & some other shit. Did you buy tickets before all the fallouts?
Got them at a huge discount after all those you named dropped out. Still wished I never bought them.

Enjoy brotha! Take a lot of photos and share with us when you get back.

Greetings!

Update* we have arrived and are pumped for tomorrow night! I’ll post pictures etc on Monday once we make it back home, should be a crazy night!

Back