PBP UFC 301 - Pantoja vs. Erceg Main Card PBP Discussion: Sat. 5 / 4 at 10pm ET

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys talking about how a 10 rank get s title shot

Remember Anderson?
One fight in ufc, beat Leben…. Title shot

I'm not complaining Erceg got the shot. What a fight that was.

But comparing him to Anderson Silva coming in and getting a title shot is silly.

He's been in the UFC for less than a year. A couple of months ago he wasn't even in the top 10, much less fighting for the title. That is the very definition of inexperience.

There's no need to be a dick.
You can be skilled but have low fight IQ. Plenty of guys like that. 125 is very shallow division so I guess he's still be in the mix.

Those kind of mistakes are more fight IQ than lack of experience. You've been outwresled most of the fight, but winning the striking. You know it's the last round in a close fight. Why would you go for a TD? Lol

Inexperience would be him rushing in and getting taken down. This mf went for a TD against a guy that was outwresling him lol

109604-4095317.png

Fun night
I told ya you be fans of Sleepy Steve after this fight
He’s the future

Time to bust the bong out and get blasssssted whiteboy stoned
Catch y’all at the next PBP

<respect>

Doesnt the winner and loser of title fights always both get an interview?
Really? My memory must be garbage if that's the case. I thought it was usually just in fights that were a draw, the one fighter retires or if the losing guy is like a legend and or it's their hometown. Do they really interview both guys after every title fight?

Edit: ok I wasn't remembering wrong, the winner and loser don't always get an interview, just the winner. At UFC 300 none of the title fight losers got an interview but of course 2 of them lost by finish. Hill wasn't knocked out so bad he couldn't do an interview tho. If a champ loses I think they are much more likely to get an interview tho. If Zhang lost they probably would have given her an interview.

Last edited:
I love Aldo, GOAT. He is super slick and accurate, he still got it, 4-1 in his last 5 UFC fights and the 1 loss was ridiculous, there was never an actual "fight". Should be 5-0 to be fair. You can't land zero strikes and get zero takedowns from 100 attempts and win in my mind. War Aldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! should be champ

Hey guys, I was at the event yesterday, it was an excellent experience, it was my second time at an event in Rio, the first being UFC 224 in 2018. I'd like to talk (a lot) about the event from my perspective:

- I live about 30km from the arena, but it took me only a few minutes to get there, the road was clear because many people ended up going to Madonna's concert in another part of Rio.
- The arena overall was quite crowded, but there were some empty spaces in the lower levels due to the average ticket price being around the country's minimum wage, understand our situation.
- Yeah, it was quieter during the fights, I think people seemed more engaged in watching. I even felt like I was at an event in Japan, lol.
- I wanted to see all the Brazilians win, but their losses were against really tough guys, and honestly, they were the three losses I expected given the level of the opponents. The only one that was kind of "surprising" because of the speed of the defeat was Petrino's against Smith.
- Aldo's fight was the most explosive from the crowd's perspective, which seemed to have drained the energy for the Main Event. We still tried to rally during Pantoja's fight, but the feeling was more like "mission accomplished" because Aldo's fight was the most anticipated due to everything he represents, plus the nervousness and the expectation to see if he could still fight at a high level again.
- And speaking of the fight, it was one of his best that I've seen in years, I've never seen him so focused, so sharp, everything was on point: the technique, the strategy, I literally didn't blink the entire fight.

Regarding the crowd leaving after Pantoja's fight, I'd like to explain my point of view:
Many people don't live in the area where the event was held, Barra da Tijuca is a great location, but for those who live relatively far away, it's not a good idea to be out and about late at night, it was already around 3 am. I myself waited for Pantoja to finish speaking and then rushed out.

You may have found Pantoja's way of speaking to the crowd a bit rude, but cariocas have that somewhat threatening style of speaking, many people laughed and waited for him to finish speaking because they understood the context.

For me, it was an excellent night, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next event.

And he did it right. He trolled Smith so hard it was hilarious. I honestly can't believe people think he was being serious.
Lol, no, buffoon booger buffer has said the wrong guys name in the past before if you can remember. He's even said the wrong outcome before. Like I said, he has one easy peasy job to do, I doubt he was trolling in Brazil, in fact I'm positive he wasn't.

Last edited:
Lol, no, buffoon booger buffer has said the wrong guys name in the past before if you can remember. He's even said the wrong outcome before. Like I said, he has one easy peasy job to do, I doubt he was trolling in Brazil, in fact I'm positive he wasn't.
I'm positive he was lol. That's why he and DC were both laughing. It was a trolljob that no one except a select few were in on.

Hey guys, I was at the event yesterday, it was an excellent experience, it was my second time at an event in Rio, the first being UFC 224 in 2018. I'd like to talk (a lot) about the event from my perspective:

- I live about 30km from the arena, but it took me only a few minutes to get there, the road was clear because many people ended up going to Madonna's concert in another part of Rio.
- The arena overall was quite crowded, but there were some empty spaces in the lower levels due to the average ticket price being around the country's minimum wage, understand our situation.
- Yeah, it was quieter during the fights, I think people seemed more engaged in watching. I even felt like I was at an event in Japan, lol.
- I wanted to see all the Brazilians win, but their losses were against really tough guys, and honestly, they were the three losses I expected given the level of the opponents. The only one that was kind of "surprising" because of the speed of the defeat was Petrino's against Smith.
- Aldo's fight was the most explosive from the crowd's perspective, which seemed to have drained the energy for the Main Event. We still tried to rally during Pantoja's fight, but the feeling was more like "mission accomplished" because Aldo's fight was the most anticipated due to everything he represents, plus the nervousness and the expectation to see if he could still fight at a high level again.
- And speaking of the fight, it was one of his best that I've seen in years, I've never seen him so focused, so sharp, everything was on point: the technique, the strategy, I literally didn't blink the entire fight.

Regarding the crowd leaving after Pantoja's fight, I'd like to explain my point of view:
Many people don't live in the area where the event was held, Barra da Tijuca is a great location, but for those who live relatively far away, it's not a good idea to be out and about late at night, it was already around 3 am. I myself waited for Pantoja to finish speaking and then rushed out.

You may have found Pantoja's way of speaking to the crowd a bit rude, but cariocas have that somewhat threatening style of speaking, many people laughed and waited for him to finish speaking because they understood the context.

For me, it was an excellent night, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next event.
Thats so awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you had a great time...

I'm super jealous you got to see Aldo fight live, I love Aldo.. never seen him fight live, actually I was very close to going to WEC 51 but couldn't get the free time as I was on vacation with family in Colorado. I regret it, I wish I had gone, and back then WEC tickets were between $22 - $45 (how much the world has changed now, thousands for UFC tickets)

I hope Aldo stays with UFC and gets a new contract, I think his "downfall" is way overblown and overrated, he looks great always, he should be 5-0 in his last 5 UFC fights because I have major doubts Merab won as he did nothing but get stopped at every attempt. Aldo never lost his lightning quick reflexes or his hand speed, he is still super fast and accurate.. saw that in his recent boxing fights too, he looked so slick. I'm not convinced he is finished like many on here did, not seen the evidence he is finished at all

War Aldo!!!!!! hoping for Aldo vs Cruz next....

Thanks for your description. Welcome here. Yeah watching at home I thoroughly enjoyed the event too. Glad you got to experience it in person.

Back