UFC announces TUF China

"《终极斗士》节目面向羽量级(66KG)、轻量级(70KG)及次中量级(77KG)的全球华人选手"

<The Ultimate Fighter> program is directed at fighters of Chinese descent from across the world in the featherweight (66KG), lightweight (70KG) and welterweight (77KG) divisions.

Can you clarify what this part means? Because that could be taken two ways; either that fighters have to be from China (makes perfect sense, being TUF China and all), or that fighters can be from anywhere around the world as long as they are ethnically Chinese. I'm guessing it's not the latter, because if it is, well that's a powder keg.

ah okay. Chinese MMA is still really small in the mainland and I don't follow it much. There is huge untapped potential there and I think they need to involve some people who know the language/culture but also know MMA. Maybe I should apply for a job :)

i think you hit it on the head, huge untapped potential and im sure the ufc wants a piece of china as soon as they can get their hands on it

I heard Marcus "The Chinese Hand Grenade" Davis just requested a spot on the show. Apparently his grandfather is 1/8 New Yorker who visited Chinatown.

I can't lie, I laughed a bit. Those never get old.

Can you clarify what this part means? Because that could be taken two ways; either that fighters have to be from China (makes perfect sense, being TUF China and all), or that fighters can be from anywhere around the world as long as they are ethnically Chinese. I'm guessing it's not the latter, because if it is, well that's a powder keg.

I do believe it is open to anyone of Chinese descent who speaks the language and not just Chinese passport holders.

China got many great sanshou fighter

we might see the next cung lee.

I think this may be the best season yet. You would think that out of the entire China population, the chosen TUF one will be most competitive.

There are plenty of point fighters and full contact sanshou, so hopefully some of them will try their hand at MMA. The US to yuan exchange rate is still okay, so it wouldn't cost too much for Zuffa to flash some money around to attract talent. There are Chinese MMA fighters but not many.

Youtube shows off some decent Chinese MMA fights, so I'm excited to see where this goes. It will take years, but this could be the solution to fill the 115-145 divisions with more depth.

Can Andy Wang try out? What are the chances he wins the season based on possibly a more advanced MMA game?

I think it should just be Chinese people only, not people with a little bit of Chinese blood.

You hit upon a very interesting topic. I'm no expert (there are people who study this stuff for a living), but I will give it a shot. The term "&#33775;&#20154;" (used on the UFC website) usually refers to ethnically Han Chinese people of any cultural background and of any citizenship. But the PRC government would like it to include the 56 officially designated ethnic groups of the modern PRC (the government actually defines it that way). On the other hand, common people might have a hard time accepting the use of the term "&#33775;&#20154;" to describe, e.g., ethnically Mongolian people who are born outside of China.

The two big-name Chinese (i.e., PRC citizen) fighters I know of are Zhang Tiequan &#65288;&#24373;&#37941;&#27849;&#65289; and Jumabieke Tuerxun.

Zhang is officially ethnically Mongolian (the Chinese national ID card includes ethnicity as one of its entries), so under some definitions of &#33775;&#20154; he wouldn't count---but then again he speaks native Mandarin. In my opinion he could also easily pass for a Han Chinese.

The latter is from the western XinJiang province and is ethnically Kazakh. He doesn't look like a Han Chinese. He understands Mandarin but doesn't seem to speak it with much confidence.

Here's what I believe the UFC will do with TUF. Allow all PRC citizens 18 and over to compete. Allow Han-looking people from overseas to compete as long as they speak passable Mandarin. This might include Andy Wang types.

I wonder if they'll jerk off in each others food. Who will be the first Asian Junie Browning?

I hope the camera operators have macro lenses.
(I know it's a terrible joke but I couldn't resist)

No thanks fight master is more appealing imo.

Tuf is like watching mtv's "real world" with fighting added to it.

I don't really care about the personal lives of fighters/sports figures, I'd rather watch them fight and have coaches interact.

we haven't even seen the real episodes of Fight Master, jackass. not to mention TUF actualy makes rising stars. Fight Master is a bunch of Bellator losers who couldn't win on their show. The contestants for that show are ridiculous, stfu

I think this may be the best season yet. You would think that out of the entire China population, the chosen TUF one will be most competitive.

The population of the country means nothing
How many chineses in the UFC?
How many chinese champions in the UFC?

Can Andy Wang try out? What are the chances he wins the season based on possibly a more advanced MMA game?

How's his Mandarin? Probably spoke it at home, so I bet he qualifies.

Back