• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC commentary "Moreno was up 3-0!"

Here is a better angle, should clear things up. Hits him with the side of his hand with the thumb out

thumb-poke.gif
Ok, So I think I see the problem here. What you're likely seeing is this, right?
URaruT5.png

Top knuckle is under the bandage, so the bit sticking out is extended thumb and nail. Problem is, that's not correct.

See the right hand as proof for a second.
ltK37pA.png

See how his thumb is bent after the tape? The tape only covers the base knuckle. And his thumb tip extends to the tip of his glove on his fingers.

So the original image is actually this
WHpRgm6.png

His thumb is tucked inward towards his fist, and the point coming at Fig's eye is his knuckle.

Focus on the hand in slow as it comes away from his face and turns towards the camera.
6lU3wPG.gif

That's either a closed fist, or Moreno is missing half his thumb

DC & Felder wanted Moreno to win super bad
Thinking he was up 3-0 is fine though

Nice followup poke to the other eye, too
No V
You should, he's right. Right hand wasn't an eye poke. Moreno was playing with fire pressing his hand out there like that, which can be called as illegal, but not a foul.

Also, the left hand wasn't a poke either, it was a punch.

*edit*
Here's the right hand. First gif shows a poke couldn't have happened with any of the 4 fingers.
qG8MNMz.gif

So the question is, where did the thumb land? Forehead
nkAZwSh.gif

Fig's already reacting and reaching for his eye while Moreno is still on his head.

Last edited:
One thing is clear: they are so evenly matched any of the two could win any given night. I'm happy Moreno gets to be the guy to keep the belt, since Figgy will be moving up. Moreno is a more exciting champion, and yes, he was winning the fight.

Had him up clearly in the 3 close rounds, struggle to see Figgy getting any round of the 3.

Figgy was slow and had nothing for moreno. The stoppage was a formality. Figgy was getting outclassed and if moreno got hit with 10 shots the hole fight that is generous. Moreno is better and has always been better plain and simple. Now he gets to avenge his loss to Pantoja who is a beats. Moreno is so great for the sport and i can’t see how anyone doesn’t love this guy…

Watching the fight live I figured things were being scored much closer than commentary was saying because of Figgy's sub attempts. Felt vindicated that he got round 2 across all three scorecards.

Figgy got his ass beat and the scorecards in their previous two fights that went to decision were as generous as possible toward Figgy too. Here's what we know for sure though. Moreno has finished Figgy twice, while Figgy got a very generous draw once, and won a razor thin decision in their other fight. Moreno > Figgy

completley agree…. Moreno is was and has always been clearly the better fighter.

I thought it was 3-0 Moreno. First two rounds were fairly close but I thought it was clearly Moreno

Wait, what? Yes you do get that much of a damage simply being punched. Punches can do a lot of damage. Punches close eyes often.

Its wild to see someone actually type out and explain that punches cause damage to faces in MMA fights. How in the world does that person end up here and say such a thing?

You are kind and patient sherdogger

Moreno was only up 2-1 on the scorecards when the fight was stopped so a Figueiredo win on points wasn't out of the question as the commentary suggested.

brandon-moreno-deiveson-figueiredo-ufc-283-scorecard.png
this should be included in the main post. never sure why it isn't when thread is talking about scorecards. thank ye.

Back