UFC Fight Night 172 Eye vs. Calvillo

After rewatching it I will say Choi is lucky Jourdain was throwing kicks from southpaw. This could have been a whole lot worse if not. I think the Ko/tko was only a matter of time once the adrenaline wore off.

Calvillo had a 2 week training camp... and said the first week back she felt like throwing up, I need to listen to Eye interviews now. Did Eye also have a 2 week camp?

She also said it's a win even if she loses, since she's going up in weight and fighting the #1 contender, just grateful for the fight. (she still says she'll win) And says she'll win because of her gas tank.

Listening to another interview - she wanted to fight in July. but couldn't pass up main event. Did 3 weeks at AKA before the shut down. It's been closed since Khabib left. Only one fighter there now training with her.

[edit] Eye was training in her garage with fighters during the lock down, says she's in shape for her weight cut.

Last edited:
Eye must be feeling confident planning to compete in SUG next week. Wonder if she tries her grappling offense on Cavillo.

Decided to listen to a few of her interviews. If this chick talks about here pms one more time I swear. Fuck wmma and dana for this mess.

He's 3-1 and at evens

I'd get it if he was +200 or something, but I'm not sure you can call a guy with 3 pro wins a 'steal' at less than 2.0
remember when Aaron Pico closed around -1000 for his professional debut, and then got rocked by the first strike and finished seconds later? not directly related but it makes me smile

Calvillo had a 2 week training camp... and said the first week back she felt like throwing up, I need to listen to Eye interviews now. Did Eye also have a 2 week camp?

She also said it's a win even if she loses, since she's going up in weight and fighting the #1 contender, just grateful for the fight. (she still says she'll win) And says she'll win because of her gas tank.

Listening to another interview - she wanted to fight in July. but couldn't pass up main event. Did 3 weeks at AKA before the shut down. It's been closed since Khabib left. Only one fighter there now training with her.

[edit] Eye was training in her garage with fighters during the lock down, says she's in shape for her weight cut.

I was just thinking today "where has Card been with his interview breakdowns?" Always appreciate em sir.

remember when Aaron Pico closed around -1000 for his professional debut, and then got rocked by the first strike and finished seconds later? not directly related but it makes me smile
Picco is done, such a talent wasted because of glass chin

Jake Shields against Ray Cooper was even juicier too. Something stupid like -1250 too.

Not gonna lie either. I tried to make an "easy" $100 off that fight too......

Jake Shields against Ray Cooper was even juicier too. Something stupid like -1250 too.

Jake Shields? you damn old bro I don't even think I was born when that fight took place lol

Jake Shields? you damn old bro I don't even think I was born when that fight took place lol

He’s not talking about the fight with Cooper Sr. from the early 2000s. He fought Jr. fairly recently.

I was hoping they wouldn't notice, but the bastards canceled my +600 Eye decision bet
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 07.38.31.png

Calvilo is overrated, I woudlnt bet her at this odds. Eye faced much better competition too. Pass for me

Wow really??? A lot of us here were on Cooper +900, +800, etc.

I mean, I think most (all probably) of us that bet Cooper didn't think he'd win (and definitely not so easily) but man that was arguably my best long shot bet ever (straight bet).

Wasn't even 2 years ago haha.

I think Roberson is probably one of the more live dogs on this card, I favour Vettori to win but it isn't going to be the wash out the line indicates in my opinion, simply because Vettori seems to be missing that next gear so far in his career, which probably explains his lack of finishes.

I'd give Roberson a power and speed edge and he's probably the slightly better technical striker.

Vettori's path is clear, apply the pressure in boxing range, and grab takedowns and control where opportunity presents itself.

The issue with Vettori is he's hot headed, and I would expect even more so in this fight after Roberson's failed weight cut last time out. If he's not got his emotions under control, comes out fast and hard he could walk into something and get hurt early.

It Roberson can keep the distance and in the process stab at Vettori with kicks he could accumulate damage and potentially steal close rounds also. Vettori seems to be improving fight to fight and I think at his best he could very well be top 10, but until he can turn up the dial and really put a stamp on rounds he will continue to be in close fights.

I see Vettori as a less threatening, less dangerous, less pressuring Paulo Costa. A big, tough, bully who works best in close range.

In the larger cage I'd consider a small stab on Roberson, but in the small octagon I think there are enough things swinging in the direction of Vettori's strengths that he is the pick.

Pressure forward, take away space, cut off the cage and don't allow Roberson to rest or establish the mid range.

I feel the line could be closer, but that Vettori does enough to get the win, if we see a total shut out or better still a finish from Vettori here I would have to think he has turned a corner and is ready for a step up.

Back