UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Sakai

Why are you insulting me bro?
Fuck you for making fun of people losing money.
I wasn't making fun, my friend. Just ribbing you. I was disappointed along with you! I wish you the best. I think the tone of my post was lost in writing.

It was more of "Hahaha no way, what the fuck are you doing man, you had it!"

I wasn't making fun, my friend. Just ribbing you. I was disappointed along with you! I wish you the best. I think the tone of my post was lost in writing.
No problem bro, English also is my third language, so maybe I was the one not getting the tone of your post and feeling insuted.

sadistics rnd 1 call for muniz was money - shot brother!

If your willing to bet on Sakai it means they’ve tricked you by setting the odds correctly. Sakais most notable “wins” were controversial split decisions. This is not a world beater. And 5 rounds is tough on every heavy weight who hasn’t been there before. If you think his durability is the key to victory your gonna regret your bet right around round 3

One of the biggest things we learn when a “tentative” heavyweight gets to a 5 round fight is if it’s because they need to pace themselves, or it’s truly their fighting style. Overeem will get that out of him.
<Moves>

Really? Sakai had Overeem in trouble multiple times throughout the fight, was up 2-0 and thoroughly beating Overeem in the first half of the third round, came back and was beating him up again for the first half of the 4th round, and was as high as a -250 favorite in the live-betting, and you gloat about a -160 favorite managing to come through?

Really? Sakai had Overeem in trouble multiple times throughout the fight, was up 2-0 and thoroughly beating Overeem in the first half of the third round, came back and was beating him up again for the first half of the 4th round, and was as high as a -250 favorite in the live-betting, and you gloat about a -160 favorite managing to come through?
It was exactly as I had said. There’s a difference between 5 round cardio and 3 round cardio. I don’t know that I “resurrected” anything as I someone else had posted in here 1 hour prior. But feel free to keep taking jabs.

It was exactly as I had said. There’s a difference between 5 round cardio and 3 round cardio.

Interesting that @Sadistics, widely considered the most successful gambler here, had a solid $1500 combined pre-bet on Overeem but decided to buy out at a considerable loss in round 3.

But apparently you maintained perfect confidence in Overeem after Sakai largely dominated him for the first 14 minutes, with Overeem being out-struck, having zero grappling success in the clinch, and looking very, very tired. Is that your argument?

Fun fact.

In Overeem's long and legendary career, he has gone past the 3rd round exactly twice. First was against Rozenstruik (where he looked awful, with almost nothing to offer in rounds 4 and 5) before being knocked out before the buzzer, and the second was yesterday against Sakai, where he had enough to get the two takedowns and execute his GNP, but was so badly tired that an utterly exhausted Sakai was still beating him up badly in the striking for the first 3 minutes of round 4.

For anyone claiming that there was more reason to believe in Overeem in the championship rounds than Sakai.

Overeem was desperate and then went for the takedown and then he found out that Sakai has very shitty takedown defence and an even worse ability to get up from the ground. Probably Overeem could have taken down Sakai already in the first and finished the fight much earlier. So it is hard to say anything abiut this fight. Sakai was superior on the feet and there was little evidence to suggest he had such awful takedown defense and such bad grappling skills, also the Reems takedowns vs Rozenstruik were very labored and he didnt really do much on the ground vs Rozenstruik. So all in all it is hard to say in hindsight if the reem at -200 or sakai at +170 was the right side.

I think most of us though Overeem was gonna win but none of us saw Sakai actually outstriking Overeem in the early rounds, and specially none of us imagined how bad Sakai's take down defense and cardio were going to be going into the championship rounds.

Interesting that @Sadistics, widely considered the most successful gambler here, had a solid $1500 combined pre-bet on Overeem but decided to buy out at a considerable loss in round 3.

But apparently you maintained perfect confidence in Overeem after Sakai largely dominated him for the first 14 minutes, with Overeem being out-struck, having zero grappling success in the clinch, and looking very, very tired. Is that your argument?
I’m not an incredibly successful better, I just placed an incredibly successful bet.

Of course I didn’t have 100% confidence. But I did feel like momentum was shifting at a few points. It felt like Sakai was not picking his shots well. If he had been hitting the body instead of Overeems guard I would have bailed.

The first time I felt good about my bet was late in r2 when they showed overeems accuracy.

I think most of us though Overeem was gonna win but none of us saw Sakai actually outstriking Overeem in the early rounds, and specially none of us imagined how bad Sakai's take down defense and cardio were going to be going into the championship rounds.
No, I literally placed my entire bet based on my belief Sakai would gas late. I said it in my quoted posts...

Overeem was desperate and then went for the takedown and then he found out that Sakai has very shitty takedown defence and an even worse ability to get up from the ground. Probably Overeem could have taken down Sakai already in the first and finished the fight much earlier. So it is hard to say anything abiut this fight. Sakai was superior on the feet and there was little evidence to suggest he had such awful takedown defense and such bad grappling skills, also the Reems takedowns vs Rozenstruik were very labored and he didnt really do much on the ground vs Rozenstruik. So all in all it is hard to say in hindsight if the reem at -200 or sakai at +170 was the right side.

Sakai is one of those guys whose takedown defense starts out very solid but continues to degrade over the course of a fight. Overeem DID try to take Sakai down in rounds 1 and 2, but Sakai was plenty strong in the clinch. Late in round 3, he had weakened enough to where a solid double underhook into outside trip put him down.

By round 4 and 5, Sakai was so weak that a very sloppy, tired single-leg from Overeem was enough to get him down, with minimal resistance.

We saw this to a small extent against Ivanov, too. Ivanov was actually being moved around in the clinch by Sakai early, but late in round 2, he had softened up enough to where Ivanov took him down off a kick, and by round 3, Sakai was holding onto the cage for dear life.

Zebra Cheeks said:
I just placed an incredibly successful bet.

Wow.

Fun fact.

In Overeem's long and legendary career, he has gone past the 3rd round exactly twice. First was against Rozenstruik (where he looked awful, with almost nothing to offer in rounds 4 and 5) before being knocked out before the buzzer, and the second was yesterday against Sakai, where he had enough to get the two takedowns and execute his GNP, but was so badly tired that an utterly exhausted Sakai was still beating him up badly in the striking for the first 3 minutes of round 4.

For anyone claiming that there was more reason to believe in Overeem in the championship rounds than Sakai.
I thought the fight could go to the later rounds based in Overeem's last performances, he has become a more conservative fighter and doesnt take as many risks or has been as aggresive in his latest fights. That, combined with Sakai's style of being overly tentative made for a fight likely to go to the championship rounds. Unfortunately, my bet was for the fight to go the distaance.

Alonzo was one of the biggest case of beach muscles I’ve ever seen as of late. Can’t believe he was over a -150 favorite over a seasoned veteran like OSP. I think OSP has a style that might get a lot of hate because he isn’t the most active, but he is a freak athlete with submission skills similar to aleksei oleineik. I thought he didn’t look to bad against Roth well and only struggled cause rothwell is a true giant HW. Honestly, Alonzo is not UFC caliber. Paul Craig would beat him in a rematch. Make him vs Khalil rountree a comain to a fight night so we can get one good fight before he goes back to working at GNC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back