UFC is still disrespecting Jose Aldo's legacy till this day

I don't see it as disrespect, I think they are just trying to drum up interest and conversation.

C'mon man, Aldo isn't a PPV headliner at this point he hasn't fought in the UFC in years. Pantoja is a defending champion. Of course he's going to headline the card.

Aldo has always been treated MORE than fairly. He never got the LW title shot because he's unreliable. this cannot be debated, there is no long reigning champ that is less reliable than Aldo. He pulled out of events CONSTANTLY (caused the Second Event cancellation of all time) during his title reign, Can't imagine why they would EVER want someone like that to have one title. Let alone two.
Calling him the least reliable champ is an exaggeration. I remember Aldo having the injury issues, but he also defended the belt 2x per year 4 out of the 5 years he was champ and once the other year. Jones, RDA, hell the whole LW division at that time (remember how often Khabib would get hurt back in the day?), Cain, Cruz, etc.. We have had plenty of champs who were more oft injured/less active than Aldo who got multiple chances. Aldo didn't make them big money, that's why they've never cared about pushing his legacy or getting him bigger money fights. He should have beat Conor, it would have changed everything for him. Oh well.

All I know is, it was an awesome time when WEC was winding down and Aldo was coming into his own.

He defended 5x. Aldo defended the belt 9x if you count the WEC.

Max could move up in weight and hang with the top from LW while Aldo was forced to move down from FW to go for the title.

Max has a bigger frame and is 5 years younger... him beating Aldo takes nothing away from Aldo's FW greatness
you know you can say someone is better than someonelse and still think they are a great fighter. just because i think jon jones is better p4p than gsp that doesn't mean that i don't think gsp is a unit and one of the best to ever step foot in the octagon.

also, you have to account for the game evolving. those lower divisions (below lhw) have really evolved in terms of well-rounded-ness. legends like matt serra and even jens pulver would likely get pieced up by most of T5 fighters in their weightclass, its just nature of the game. there's not many vintage fighters that would hold up if summoned in their primes in this climate/era: fedor, bj penn, gsp, silva, sakuraba, etc.

but even saying that is speculative because they did not fight nor will they ever fight in this current era so we don't know how they would specifically adapt. anyways, my main point is that most of this powerscaling and GOAT talk is painfully guess work and estimations especially when comparing people to different eras.

Calling him the least reliable champ is an exaggeration. I remember Aldo having the injury issues, but he also defended the belt 2x per year 4 out of the 5 years he was champ and once the other year. Jones, RDA, hell the whole LW division at that time (remember how often Khabib would get hurt back in the day?), Cain, Cruz, etc.. We have had plenty of champs who were more oft injured/less active than Aldo who got multiple chances. Aldo didn't make them big money, that's why they've never cared about pushing his legacy or getting him bigger money fights. He should have beat Conor, it would have changed everything for him. Oh well.
are you seriously saying that aldo deserves the headline when he has not fought for a title in 4 yrs?

at what point do we draw the line then? if royce gracie were to fight some plumber, do you think he should deserve the headline over a current champ because of past accomplishments superseding the current champ?

are you seriously saying that aldo deserves the headline when he has not fought for a title in 4 yrs?

at what point do we draw the line then? if royce gracie were to fight some plumber, do you think he should deserve the headline over a current champ because of past accomplishments superseding the current champ?
Not at all. Nor did I say that. I just disagreed with claiming the UFC was too good to him because he was the most unreliable champ ever. Thought it was pretty clear.

This is all happening because he never wanted to promote his fights and instead was a silent killer.

Not great when you're contracting with a fight promotion, that makes all their decisions around their ability to promote fights.

This is roughly like saying "Aldo never wanted to take control of his career instead the promoter controlled his career".

And Aldo had a few big fights. One HUGE fight. Aldo vs Conor did 1.2 million buys with Aldo in the main event as the defending champ. They filmed probably the biggest commercial the UFC has ever done to promote it.

Not at all. Nor did I say that. I just disagreed with claiming the UFC was too good to him because he was the most unreliable champ ever. Thought it was pretty clear.
gotcha, my bad. yeah for locking down a division like he did without embarassing the already messied promotion that the ufc is makes me feel like he deserves all the good the things that the ufc feeds him.

i think jones is a much more unreliable champ as great as he is, he comes with a lot of baggage (coke, domestic abuse, drunk heckling, etc.).

This is all happening because he never wanted to promote his fights and instead was a silent killer.
I remember that he, like Stipe, was openly critical about his pay in his post fights and other interviews. The UFC were DELIGHTED that Conor took the belt off him. They were drooling over the prospect long before.

Once he lost the belt though, I thought the UFC used him well and he had no complaints any longer.

Not great when you're contracting with a fight promotion, that makes all their decisions around their ability to promote fights.

This is roughly like saying "Aldo never wanted to take control of his career instead the promoter controlled his career".

And Aldo had a few big fights. One HUGE fight. Aldo vs Conor did 1.2 million buys with Aldo in the main event as the defending champ. They filmed probably the biggest commercial the UFC has ever done to promote it.
i swear to god, this is the only sport on earth where athletes have to play a cartoon character in order to make a living. even boxing has less tomfoolery and it is a joke of a sport nowadays. the purpose of being a ufc fighter is to win fights and dominate your division, you shouldn't have to be a south park character to be respected or kis dana's greedy pink ass to be in the Hall of Fame.

Aldo has pulled out of 50 percent of all title fights he's ever been booked in. (at FW)

he is the worst champion ever in this regard, only behind Nicco Montoya. Even Cruz who was always injured wasn't booked and pulling out. The only time I think he pulled out was Barao vs faber 2 and he got stripped.

I like aldo, but we have to be realistic about his promotability. he's not reliable.

i swear to god, this is the only sport on earth where athletes have to play a cartoon character in order to make a living. even boxing has less tomfoolery and it is a joke of a sport nowadays. the purpose of being a ufc fighter is to win fights and dominate your division, you shouldn't have to be a south park character to be respected or kis dana's greedy pink ass to be in the Hall of Fame.

You don't. He got his belt. He was allowed to defend it until he lost a fight fair and square. They promoted him. They put him on TV. He had tons of great fights and great opportunities. He will certainly be in the Hall of Fame when he retires.

However, in every sport, and in every business. Opportunities, negotiating power, and compensation all derive from the ability to drive sales. The UFC is a business.

And they don't care how a fighter drives their sales. GSP wasn't a cartoon character, and he was a huge star. Mir was pretty generic in terms of promotion and he headlined the biggest card in history to that point. It would be impossible to be more of a silent killer type than Alex and he just headlined UFC 300. Khabib and Islam are hardly in contention to host the tonight show.

You're just making excuses for Aldo and I don't think you need to. I think he had a fine career that speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Does Aldo have the best FW resume? Yes. But of course the UFC will market the current guys as the GOATs...it's called promotion.

But the UFC definitely did Aldo dirty with the double-champ opportunity. They insisted that he had to give up his FW belt before fighting for the LW belt, then they let Conor do exactly what they insisted Aldo couldn't do. Aldo likely would have beaten either Frankie or Bendo at LW, and his star power would have skyrocketed.

Back