UFC/MMA hype is gone

all the hype surrounding most fighters is gone.
and yes, i have been watching since pride days.

ufc was extremely exciting these past few years (especially during covid) because everyone wanted to know who the best fighters were.

since 2018, we've had so many fights between top fighters and we roughly know who is left standing.
in my opinion, there are 4 hyped fighters left:

- islam makhachev (maybe arman tsarukyan)
- shavkat rakhmonov (maybe leon edwards)
- alex pereira (maybe magomed ankalaev)
- jon jones (maybe tom aspinall)

list of hype that died:

- khabib retired
- mcgregor is basically retired / washed up / exposed by khabib
- tony ferguson is absolutely washed up / should retire
- dustin porier and justin gaethje exposed by charles oliveira
- charles oliveira exposed by islam makhachev
- alexander volkanovski exposed by islam makhachev
- sergei pavlovich exposed by tom aspinall
- ciryl gane exposed by jon jones
- stipe miocic is basically retired / old / exposed by ngannou
- ngannou left ufc / approaching 40
- jiri prochazka exposed by alex pereira
- israel adesanya basically retired / exposed by alex pereira
- jan blachowicz exposed by old glover texeira and alex pereira
- magomed ankalaev keeps breaking mma rules and fighting dirty
- sean strickland exposed by alex pereira
- khamzat chimaev exposed by 12-days-notice usman
- usman exposed by leon edwards... twice
- aljamain sterling and petr yan exposed by sean o'malley
- sean o'malley is a mcgregor copycat
- no one cares about 125 lb flyweights

change my mind please (or don't if you agree)
Who gives a shit what you think? Didn’t read that long ass crap homie

Op is the worst type of combat sports fan. This is what that ruined Boxing. You lose, it means you got "exposed". It means you were never good and you hop on to the next bandwagon.

These type of fans should never be given a voice much less be allowed to make threads on forums like this.

Last edited:
lol at exposed ts doesnt even know what hes talking about

Man. We are entering another time. Pre GSP days, the GSP/Silva/Jones era, then the Conor/Usman/Volk.. and those days are almost transitioning into a new set. Wild

I never understand these types of posts. To me it's like someone saying music sucks. There's a lotta good music. There's a lotta good fights.

There's a lot of guys that are interesting right now.

OMalley is the champ with one loss

Khamzat is undefeated still

Ilia Topuria is undefeated challenging for a belt. He's super exciting..

Shavkat is undefeated 18-0 all finishes

Strickland has quietly risen. Look at his record the guy is a hell of a fighter. An early KO loss to Alex doesn't ruin the hype. He's a good champ

Edwards hasn't lost in like 12 fights.

Aspinal rising, tons of hype.

Dumb thread.

You might not be hyped about MMA currently.. but there's plenty for a fan to be excited about

Last edited:
I feel like it’s more or less the stagnation of talent in the UFC. This is the effect of the UFCs over willingness to recruit cheap labor via the contender series or recruit talented fighters from other orgs when they are 10yrs past their prime.

What a bunch of fuckin sissies the TS and anyone who thinks like him is

Who gives a fuck about hype. Ill watch UFC as long as UFC exists. Casuals leave the hall.

all the hype surrounding most fighters is gone.
and yes, i have been watching since pride days.

ufc was extremely exciting these past few years (especially during covid) because everyone wanted to know who the best fighters were.

since 2018, we've had so many fights between top fighters and we roughly know who is left standing.
in my opinion, there are 4 hyped fighters left:

- islam makhachev (maybe arman tsarukyan)
- shavkat rakhmonov (maybe leon edwards)
- alex pereira (maybe magomed ankalaev)
- jon jones (maybe tom aspinall)

list of hype that died:

- khabib retired
- mcgregor is basically retired / washed up / exposed by khabib
- tony ferguson is absolutely washed up / should retire
- dustin porier and justin gaethje exposed by charles oliveira
- charles oliveira exposed by islam makhachev
- alexander volkanovski exposed by islam makhachev
- sergei pavlovich exposed by tom aspinall
- ciryl gane exposed by jon jones
- stipe miocic is basically retired / old / exposed by ngannou
- ngannou left ufc / approaching 40
- jiri prochazka exposed by alex pereira
- israel adesanya basically retired / exposed by alex pereira
- jan blachowicz exposed by old glover texeira and alex pereira
- magomed ankalaev keeps breaking mma rules and fighting dirty
- sean strickland exposed by alex pereira
- khamzat chimaev exposed by 12-days-notice usman
- usman exposed by leon edwards... twice
- aljamain sterling and petr yan exposed by sean o'malley
- sean o'malley is a mcgregor copycat
- no one cares about 125 lb flyweights

change my mind please (or don't if you agree)

UFC's been dying since 2010
It still is
But it's all we got

This has everything to do with you and nothing to do with the state of the UFC.
I don’t think that’s always true.
There’s times where I’ve on outset immediately disagreed with people making posts like this.

But it’s hard to deny that the exit of guys like Conor, khabib and ngannou affects marketability. And while those guys had their downside, they did stall divisions and create log jams which does actually create more buzz around fights because you’ve wanted to see certain fights for so long while the divisions are stalled and held.

I agree with you that hardcores love the sport regardless of the state of it, but, that can fluctuate and that’s ok.

So in other words, TS has given us a list of fighters who have lost fights just like fighters have lost fights in the 20 years prior lol.

Conclusion is fighters lose in fights.

This is so utterly fucking stupid. Hurts my head, honestly. Why and how are any of you seriously entertaining this?

Sorry but of course that attitude will kill any hype. It's been an incredible year of fights. I've enjoyed it immensely. If you think a loss means you're exposed, you're doing it wrong.

If you’ve been watching since pride days then you’d understand we have down periods. It’s part of the game. Guys gotta fight and lose and win to re-build hype.

RELAX.

Give it 2 years and see how the landscape looks
What down period?

Last year we had 2 of the best fights of all time.

We have a champ who cleared his division AND chases superfights in the division above (the first guy to do it since BJ Penn). Volk incase you didn't know.

An exciting kickboxer with crazy KO power became a double champ.

One promotion with most of the top fighters at once (for people who have been around as long as they pretend, they should know how big of a deal this is).

The best talent across the board we've ever had....

What was the better time? When Conor was running around acting like a child/WWE superstar then getting his ass kicked in the ring/ducking Aldo rematch? GSP grapple fucking everyone and ducking the superfight we all wanted to see? Pride/UFC split so half the big fights never got made?

I have a hard time finding which period of MMA was better than now...yes you guys grew up so you realize your superheroes are beatable and there is less starry eyed hype than for you personally than there was before. But the sport is way way better now. Trust me.

I’ve always contended that the UFC actually sucks at fight promotion, and is particularly abysmal at fighter promotion. However, it is astonishingly, remarkably, extraordinarily, near impossibly good at self-promotion.

The UFC is always in the news. When Elon and Zuck are trading barbs about settling their beef in a cage, there’s Dana White. When Trump shows up at a PPV, they make that the story of the event as much as the fights themselves. When Gen Z tik tok celebs want mainstream media cred, Dana is there to roll out the carpet.

The UFC’s business is promoting the UFC. It’s akin to the old pro wrestling days when the ECW crowd would chant the name of the promotion after the guys in the ring committed some obscenely violent, dangerous, potentially career threatening and probably life-altering.

The logic then parallels what is likely the current logic. ECW was a smaller promotion whose talent was constantly being poached so why would they focus on promoting wrestlers who could bolt tomorrow? Meanwhile, the UFC trades in a sport wherein anyone, even the best guy in the world, can lose at any time with one slip. Why invest all that money into one guy when he could lose his next fight in 30 seconds? It’s a surer bet to reinvest in self-promoting the organization that can and will outlive the fighters. It makes perfect sense logically and financially but it sucks for the fighters.

To Vince McMahon’s credit, while he certainly promoted the WWF/WWE, he also promoted the shit out of Hulk, Stone Cold and the Rock because he still understood that the crowd was there to see the talent. Apples to oranges, obviously because it’s a hell of a lot easier to promote the hell out of the guy when you know he’s going over on the PPV but still…the UFC realllllly needs to get better at promoting it’s fighters bc there has been a palpable dip in general mainstream interest.

Back