UFC Title Trivia Thread

You are correct with Barnett.

<JackieThumbsUp>

Yuki Nakai... yup. What a fuckin warrior.

On the flipside, fuck Gordeau.

I love the honor and moral code of old school traditional martial arts. I had a karate teacher growing up that I have written about on here numerous times and actually recently got back in touch with to thank him for his valuable LIFE lessons and focus on respect and character, etc.

I love that MOST of the fighters even in this "barbaric sport" are respectful and do not wish harm to their opponents beyond what is needed to win.

But it sucks that a single bad apple can spoil things so much. Some folks are just wired wrong. Psychos.

Yep, agreed on it all. Back in the day especially, you had legit psychos like Gordeau and Gilbert Yvel. You also had people like Gary Goodridge who would do wild shit to win---Big Daddy infamously reached into a dude's shorts once during a fight and moved his cup aside to squeeze his nuts 😨

But for the most part, it's the savage bad asses who are the nicest and the humblest.

You are correct! I didn’t think you would be the one with that answer because first off you say you don’t know any modern day info and second off you are not particularly interested in small weight class fighters. But you got it!

Like I said, it encroached on my old school knowledge and added a cool factoid that puts it in company with one of my all-time favorite fights. Gotta respect that :cool:

Here's a nice combination of old and new directly related to Mighty Mouse:

Q. Matt Hume, who is famous for coaching UFC champions Josh Barnett and Mighty Mouse, was a fighter himself. On paper, his 5-5 record might not look that great, but Hume finished his career 3-0 and was undefeated outside of Pancrase, which included back-to-back victories over Erik Paulson and Pat Miletich. What is significant about Hume's victories over those two, i.e. what did both Paulson and Miletich share in losing to Hume?

Like I said, it encroached on my old school knowledge and added a cool factoid that puts it in company with one of my all-time favorite fights. Gotta respect that :cool:

Here's a nice combination of old and new directly related to Mighty Mouse:

Q. Matt Hume, who is famous for coaching UFC champions Josh Barnett and Mighty Mouse, was a fighter himself. On paper, his 5-5 record might not look that great, but Hume finished his career 3-0 and was undefeated outside of Pancrase, which included back-to-back victories over Erik Paulson and Pat Miletich. What is significant about Hume's victories over those two, i.e. what did both Paulson and Miletich share in losing to Hume?
I have no idea and have no way of even guessing. But I will take a blind stab in the dark and say that it was significant because they were coaches of big camps (which is probably not the case with Paulson, I have no idea who he is)

Yep, agreed on it all. Back in the day especially, you had legit psychos like Gordeau and Gilbert Yvel. You also had people like Gary Goodridge who would do wild shit to win---Big Daddy infamously reached into a dude's shorts once during a fight and moved his cup aside to squeeze his nuts 😨

But for the most part, it's the savage bad asses who are the nicest and the humblest.
There was a fight, I think one of the guys was called "(something) Hulk" like Maestro Hulk or something like that (I could be wrong or conflating two things together...)

But my memory is that one dude was using his foot to reach into the other dudes "tighty whitey" size/style shorts to try to squeeze the poor bastards nuts with his toes. It was so fucking weird, and one of those things where you just can't even comprehend how someone would do that, and you wind up having his internal dialogue of "so did we really need to have a written rule saying you can't squeeze testicle with your toes??!"

Edit: it was Gary Goodridge. And he seems proud of it. :oops:

In depth reddit thread:

Screenshot_20231217_220546_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20231217_220521_Brave.jpg

I have no idea and have no way of even guessing. But I will take a blind stab in the dark and say that it was significant because they were coaches of big camps (which is probably not the case with Paulson, I have no idea who he is)

Haha, Erik Paulson is a legendary catch wrestler. He was the first American champion in the Japanese org Shooto. You're right, all three of them became legendary coaches, but I'm referring specifically to them as fighters. I don't care if people look shit up, do Fight Finder, etc., because it's a deceptive question, but there's something significant and shared about where Paulson and Miletich were in their careers when they lost to Hume.

There was a fight, I think one of the guys was called "(something) Hulk" like Maestro Hulk or something like that (I could be wrong or conflating two things together...)

But my memory is that one dude was using his foot to reach into the other dudes "tighty whitey" size/style shorts to try to squeeze the poor bastards nuts with his toes. It was so fucking weird, and one of those things where you just can't even comprehend how someone would do that, and you wind up having his internal dialogue of "so did we really need to have a written rule saying you can't squeeze testicle with your toes??!"

Edit: it was Gary Goodridge. And he seems proud of it.

In depth reddit thread:

View attachment 1018109View attachment 1018110

Yup, that's the fight. And Pedro Otavio has my favorite nickname ever: The Pedro. His name was Pedro "The Pedro." But unfortunately for him, not only was he infamously the opponent whose nuts the monstrous arm wrestling champ Gary Goodridge squeezed, he was also infamously the opponent who lost to Mark Kerr by submission in PRIDE but without actually tapping. He screamed when Kerr locked up a kimura and the ref jumped in, but The Pedro never tapped, so he just starting doing the Babu Bhatt finger wag and lost his shit on the ref.

I'm calling it a night, too, so, @doozer, here's the answer to my question.

Both Paulson and Miletich were undefeated. Miletich was legit undefeated, and he always had nothing but respect for Hume, who he said was miles beyond what he'd experienced to that point in his career and who kicked his ass so bad that it inspired Miletich to reach the next level in his own game. Paulson, meanwhile, was the undefeated Shooto champ. Now, technically, Paulson had lost in competition before, but it was in a different org and it involved some bullshit shenanigans where he was a submission fighter entered into a "striking only" bracket of a tournament. He should've just not competed with rules prohibiting him from using his submission skills, but he was such a hardhead that he tried to win anyway, and he lost big. In an infamous fight with boxer James Warring, Paulson had really long hair (he was a Hollywood stunt man at the time and couldn't cut his hair) and Warring didn't just grab his hair like Royce/Kimo: He legit dragged him around the cage by his fucking hair, and he used his hair hockey style to punch and better than any MT clinch to knee and kick. He even held Paulson to the ground by his hair to stomp on his head. And through all of that, Paulson never went out and he never gave up. The fight was stopped when his corner threw in the towel. Bonkers fight. But that insanity aside, Hume was Paulson's first fair defeat.

If you want to see some real old school craziness, I've timestamped the vid where Warring first realizes that he can grab Paulson's hair (and yes, that's a young Cecil Peoples reffing):

However, speaking to what @jeff7b9 and I were talking about previously, and karma being what it is, Warring got his a couple of years later when he entered the K-1 1997 Grand Prix. Like a lot of early MMA strikers (Maurice Smith, Pat Smith, Igor Vovchanchyn, Ryushi Yanagisawa, even Kimo), Warring tried his hand at both MMA and kickboxing, but when he entered the K-1 GP, he ended up across the ring from The Dutch Lumberjack, Peter Aerts, the greatest high-kicker in K-1 history and already a two-time (back-to-back!) Grand Prix champ (1994 and 1995). Since Warring was a dirty fighter, and because he knew he was overmatched, he tried to KO Aerts on the glove touch: Instead of touching gloves at the start of the fight, Warring tried to parry Aerts' outstretched hand and land a haymaker. He failed, and ultimately, like many of The Dutch Lumberjack's other victims, he was chopped down and felled by a monster HK, one of Aerts' most brutal finishes:

The first one would need Khabib to fight someone other than the interim champ, but that is a proper clusterfuck in the general spirit of the thread. You could argue that fight was the interim interim since it was a title fight with:

A) Reigning champ Khabib
B) Tony who never lost his interim belt
Then
C) another title fight facing neither of the above.

The 2nd one I like it...
**technically** the UFC stripped Colby the day of TWood vs Darren Till

But you could make a strong argument that was political horseshit and that fight was for a disputed belt while Colby still held an interim title he never lost in the cage.

Given the spirt of the question targeting the disputed vs undisputed nature of a title and the fact that you identified a circumstance that had a valid dispute to the title, I will accept the answer.

<JackieThumbsUp>

Feel free to drop if trivia question if you'd like.
It took me awhile to come up with a trivia question that I wanted to ask, which was also title related. Here we go:

Who has the most title fight losses in the UFC and how many?

I don't see any open questions so I'll throw one out there.

Which fighter debuted in 96 and built a record of over 50 wins without hitting double digit losses until two decades later, going to decision only 9 times in that timespan?

Edit: Suppose this is just a general trivia question as opposed to UFC title trivia. Oops.

Which fighter debuted in 96 and built a record of over 50 wins without hitting double digit losses until two decades later, going to decision only 9 times in that timespan?

Edit: Suppose this is just a general trivia question as opposed to UFC title trivia. Oops.
There was 1 question all out there from me, but so far buried I wouldn’t expect anyone to see it.
Q: only twice has a fighter in welterweight or a smaller weight class over the age of 36 won a title fight, what fighter won each of these two title fights?
But the question from the tick was just 2 paragraphs up
It took me awhile to come up with a trivia question that I wanted to ask, which was also title related. Here we go:

As for your question I’ll just take a stab in the dark, there are a few wild guesses I could take I guess I’ll go with fedor

I'm calling it a night, too, so, @doozer, here's the answer to my question.

Both Paulson and Miletich were undefeated. Miletich was legit undefeated, and he always had nothing but respect for Hume, who he said was miles beyond what he'd experienced to that point in his career and who kicked his ass so bad that it inspired Miletich to reach the next level in his own game. Paulson, meanwhile, was the undefeated Shooto champ. Now, technically, Paulson had lost in competition before, but it was in a different org and it involved some bullshit shenanigans where he was a submission fighter entered into a "striking only" bracket of a tournament. He should've just not competed with rules prohibiting him from using his submission skills, but he was such a hardhead that he tried to win anyway, and he lost big. In an infamous fight with boxer James Warring, Paulson had really long hair (he was a Hollywood stunt man at the time and couldn't cut his hair) and Warring didn't just grab his hair like Royce/Kimo: He legit dragged him around the cage by his fucking hair, and he used his hair hockey style to punch and better than any MT clinch to knee and kick. He even held Paulson to the ground by his hair to stomp on his head. And through all of that, Paulson never went out and he never gave up. The fight was stopped when his corner threw in the towel. Bonkers fight. But that insanity aside, Hume was Paulson's first fair defeat.

If you want to see some real old school craziness, I've timestamped the vid where Warring first realizes that he can grab Paulson's hair (and yes, that's a young Cecil Peoples reffing):

However, speaking to what @jeff7b9 and I were talking about previously, and karma being what it is, Warring got his a couple of years later when he entered the K-1 1997 Grand Prix. Like a lot of early MMA strikers (Maurice Smith, Pat Smith, Igor Vovchanchyn, Ryushi Yanagisawa, even Kimo), Warring tried his hand at both MMA and kickboxing, but when he entered the K-1 GP, he ended up across the ring from The Dutch Lumberjack, Peter Aerts, the greatest high-kicker in K-1 history and already a two-time (back-to-back!) Grand Prix champ (1994 and 1995). Since Warring was a dirty fighter, and because he knew he was overmatched, he tried to KO Aerts on the glove touch: Instead of touching gloves at the start of the fight, Warring tried to parry Aerts' outstretched hand and land a haymaker. He failed, and ultimately, like many of The Dutch Lumberjack's other victims, he was chopped down and felled by a monster HK, one of Aerts' most brutal finishes:

I had been thinking of my next guess and I was going to guess that Paulson and miltich were champs in other organizations, sounds like Paulson was, though that wasn’t the answer you were looking for it was closer to the mark.

Hmm…. I think Joseph benavedus might have 6. 2 to Dominic Cruz, 2 to Mighty Mouse, 2 to figararo. Quite possible my count is off (Not 100% sure he fought Cruz twice), or maybe someone has more than 6
Edit: some of the Cruz loses would have been in WEC, probably both of them.

Last edited:

Oleinik? Not sure how many times he went to decision but I think he fits the rest.

I'd guess this is still Randy. He lost to Ricco, Vitor, Brock, Chuck x2 and Barnett.

Q: only twice has a fighter in welterweight or a smaller weight class over the age of 36 won a title fight, what fighter won each of these two title fights?

Not sure. Maybe Woodley?

I'd guess this is still Randy. He lost to Ricco, Vitor, Brock, Chuck x2 and Barnett.

Not sure. Maybe Woodley?
Woodly is the correct answer.

I was thinking of Randy too but for me it was much more of a guess. I knew the losses to vitor, brock, and chuck *2 and I thought there were more but I didn’t know any of them.

Renan Barao moved up and, though he lost ALMOST all his post title reign fights, he did manage a W against Felipe Nover.

Conor was NOT who I was thinking of... however technically I guess that answer is also correct.

Max won a UFC fight at 149 pound catchweight and Volk won a UFC fight at 150 catchweight. These are technically considered and recorded as "catchweight" even though they fall within the range 146-156 of lightweight, so you are correct. (Though I suppose you could make an argument that 150 pound catchweight is a weight class above FW)

<JackieThumbsUp>

As such, the floor is your to ask a question. And Kudos for a good answer which I had not thought of. I am learning a lot of cool stuff in this thread.

There is another champ, which is the fighter I was initially thinking of, who is the only UFC champion in his weight class to ever win a fight in the weight class to win in the weight class above his title winning weight class, including catchweights, as in that instance there were no catchweight victories by any other champion.
I checked Barao. He did move up but not until after the Nover fight

This fighter defended the belt multiple times and was undefeated in the UFC up to their last successful title defense. After this defense, they fought multiple times in the UFC but lost each fight.

This fighter defended the belt multiple times and was undefeated in the UFC up to their last successful title defense. After this defense, they fought multiple times in the UFC but lost each fight.
The answer that you are probably not looking for is Ronda Rousey. She only fought 2 times but that is multiple times.
Not sure if Chris Weidman has won since his loss.

The answer that you are probably not looking for is Ronda Rousey. She only fought 2 times but that is multiple times.
Not sure if Chris Weidman has won since his loss.

Ah shit, I should have worded that clue a bit better. Yeah Ronda is an answer. Good call.

I was thinking of someone else and there might be others since I wasn't specific enough. Chris has won since he lost the belt.

Ah shit, I should have worded that clue a bit better. Yeah Ronda is an answer. Good call.

I was thinking of someone else and there might be others since I wasn't specific enough. Chris has won since he lost the belt.
That’s the challenge. To be specific enough that only 1 person fits but not too much that it narrows down the question and makes it easy.

Hmm. I’ll have to think who else it could be

Back