UFC: WORLD CUP

ILove4MinutesHyuna

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of my favorite UFC PPV's was the USA vs Canada card.
220px-UFC58.jpg

The UFC already has global events where they just stack a bunch of fighters from the country they are in to compete. A world cup like the one in soccer that runs every 4 years can actually be done. The entire inaugural tournament structure I propose below would take up 15 events. The UFC can still run its other cards through out the year. Any current UFC champion that fights on a world cup card would not be in danger of losing his title, so yes some divisions would be on hold for a little while. You put on a UFC fight night in Poland, you get maybe 2 million viewers. You turn that into Poland vs. Russia, RO16 in the 2019 UFC NATION WARS. You will easily get 5 million. You can even sell that as a PPV.

The format would be as follows:

• 16 Nations would compete over a year long tournament.
  • 5 fights on the card, the country that wins the most fights on the night advances.
  • The divisions represented would be LW, WW, MD, LHW, HW
  • Each country would have a panel, who would select 15 representatives. You have to have 3 fighters representing each competing weight class. All the fighters would weigh in. Those that make weight would be eligible to be sent out on the night of the fight. Each country would then submit its line up an hour before the event.
  • Each fighter would be guaranteed show money. Say $200 thousand for making weight. Plus another $300 thousand if they are selected to compete. So each card to run would cost the UFC $9 million in fighter salaries.
  • Each event would be held in one of the competing countries that night. The visiting country selects the order of fights. Ie. having the HW match the main event
  • The entire RO16 would be held through Jan-Feb. So 8 cards in the first two months, one card every Saturday. You then have another set of cards run through May-Jun for the Quarter Finals. Semi Finals in August. Finals in December.
  • The UFC would have to run a total of 15 events.

First ever world cup winning team.

USA
LW: Ferguson/Lee/Holloway
WW: Thompson/Covington/Lawler
MW: Weidman/Rockhold/Gastelum
LHW: Jones/Cormier/Texeira
HW: Miocic/Lewis/Arlowski

Last edited:
Think you're forgetting about WMMA here, buddy.

I quite like the idea but injuries no doubt would fuck it all up.

Too many bigots that hate on WMMA in here it seems.

Shame.

The pay is a little too high for UFC sophisticated taste.

USA (DC) vs Croatia (Stipe)
Mexico (Cain) vs Cameroon (Ngannou)
Ireland (Conor) vs Russia (Khabib)
Australia (Whitaker) vs Cuba (Romero)
England (Till) vs Brazil (Machida)

Make it happen. 500k ppvs easily

I thought they had U.S. citizenship's

They might. But I know when NHL'ers go to the Olympics they don't represent what country they have citizenship in (although they can if they choose), but their country of origin. It's not unheard of, just uncommon (and heavily criticized when it does happen, such as when Brett Hull played for Team USA).

Back