UFC's sh*tty matchmaking has given rise to 4 shadow champions (so much for being the 'premier league')

What makes you think he "turned them down?" He's been open about not wanting to fight Aljo. But the UFC also has a history of shafting fighters like Merab. I highly doubt the UFC would have given Merab a title shot over TJ, Henry, or O'Malley. As far as I can see, there was never even an opportunity for Merab to "turn down." Don't be fooled by Dana's narrative.
You are blinded by your Dana hate, he literally turned them down and now he doesn't deserve shit

If the UFC wanted Merab to fight for a title that badly they should have given him the first crack at O'Malley. Everyone knows he was more deserving of a shot than Chito.
I reckon the UFC giving Chito the title shot was a big 🖕🏻to Merab for turning it down all these years 🤣

Dana has spoken publicly about how he doesn't like that Merab won't fight Aljo but one of them - i think it was Aljo - did an interview or a podcast recently where they said there was never an official offer on the table for the two of them to fight each other.
Said that on his YouTube channel. He said he told Merab to publicly call him out and force the UFC's hand in actually offering a fight, instead of just this narrative, believe after the Aldo or Yan fight.

Think I was the only one who actually read OP and his reasoning for listing Merab and Belal, when people are questioning why he listed them (and not refuting the reasons actually stated lol)

Hill definitely deserves the shot over Anklaev. That Anklaev gets continuously shafted is a laughable notion. He has had his shots and screwed them up.

They gave Brock Lesnar a title shot after 1 win and 1 loss, did Matt Serra also really deserve his shot against GSP or half the bums Anderson Silva fought?
Its a business, get a grip.

I am sick..............

Sick of the state of UFC's shitty matchmaking.

What makes UFC the standout MMA promotion? They're supposed to have the best fighters on the planet. The best fight the best. The champion = the bestest. Being a champion used to mean something. Now it's been watered down so much that fighters with 0 defences are begging Dana for a second strap.

I cannot recall a time when the belt meant so little. I'm a true MMA fan. And I don't mean that it in an egotistical way. Sure, I like fighters who can 'make some noise', but that don't necessarily mean I want them fighting for the strap.

8 divisions, and 4 of them have shadow champions (WMMA doesn't count). What's going on? Why are Cheato, Colby, Stipe, etc. getting title shots? This is a joke. I don't even get excited for championship fights no more.

What is a 'shadow champion'? A shadow champion is essentially a non-champion with a championship-esque run, i.e., fighters with a similar amount of ranked wins as the current champ. I've identified 4 shadow champions:
  • Merab - In this goblin's last 3 bouts, he beat Cejudo, Yan and Aldo in dominant fashion. He upgraded from no. 1 contendor status to shadow champion status the moment O'Malley decided he wanted a gimme matchup against Cheato.
  • Belal - 2 top 5 wins and 2 top 10 wins in his last 4. Which elite fighter has Leon beat besides Usman? We counting Colby now?
  • Anklaev - Potent has been gifted so many favorable match-up fights. 0 title defences at MW despite being the biggest middleweight in the history of the sport. We all know Anklaev is the top dog at LHW. Anklaev beats Potent any day of the week. Easy money, Ali.
  • Aspinall - Put aside by the UFC so Jon can get his gimme fight against Stipe. We all know it.

Personally, I like the belt to mean something. Whether a fighter is boring or not is completely irrelevant. If you want the belt to mean something it should be completely based off merit.

(Usman, the supposed greatest WW of all time, has 2 title defences against Masvidal. Let that sink in.)
the only one that really bothers me is the bones situation. its just a big "Fuck you" to all the intermin belts in the past and to the meritocracy of the sport. belaal is getting cucked badly too but can't exactly seethe for a rub n tugger. anko does not deserve the title shot over hill considering he vacated the belt but i bet he's next on the list. and the merab thing is next up for sure. his best win is against yan and ufc 299 was too close to his cejudo fight for it to make sense. i don't put much stock into his aldo win considering aldo is geriatric.

don't get the usman comment. GSP is universally thought of as the goat WW and masvidual is not a scrub either...even if he acts like a complete dunce nowadays.

I mean sure you can argue that Magomed Ankalaev is the best fighter in the division (probably is), but there has been some really strange circumstances why he hasn't fought for the title. Meras is also probably the best in the division, but he didnt want the title shot for a long time, so of course the UFC is gonna make him jump some extra hoops.

For the rest of them, you don't have a case.... Belal? Please.

It’s the weakest lineup of champs in modern UFC history. Very few of them feel like they are the best in the world. They just feel like they won because the division is weak, they had a good night or were hot shotted to the title.

I can’t say I’m a fan of Belal but he deserves a title shot and due to his win streak, you could at least make a case that he might be the best in his division if he wins.

We can go further with belal.

Maia and Brady were top 10 when he beat them

Burns, Thompson and Luque were top 5 when he beat them

Maia 29-28, tko’d Brady in the 2nd round, 30-27 over wonderboy, then beat both burns and luque over 5 rounds

No title contender has ever deserved a title shot more than Belal in the history of MMA

You’re forgetting the genius idea of matching up Gaethje vs Holloway, thus depriving 2 champs of their natural next up contender. 2024 has been abysmal for UFC match making
Not to mention that despite JG/Max, the UFC wants DP/Islam, saying DP deserves it more...after being KO'd by JG

Shaddow champ = #1 contender? Are we mad that there are contenders now?

Ankalev had a title shot 2 fights ago and shit the bed. He's had one win and one no contest since then. I'd only consider him a #1 contender due to lack of options.

Aspinal is literally holding a belt right now. Jones is out on injury and we don't actually know what happens when he gets back. The Stipe fight may be what he's pursuing, but it is speculative at this point.

Back