UFN 143 on ESPN+ 1 Cejudo vs Dillashaw

Jojo is generally solid. I suspect lipski will get taken down here when she throws a kick or just from a straight take down attempt, or maybe even some low IQ move like she did in a previous fight. She actually went for a takedown and got reversed. In her last fight she gave up her back straight away when taken down. She's been stopped by strikes before and wrestefucked to a decision. Pretty sure Jojo would beat all of Lipskis cans.

I do like Lipski though as a striker. She looks better than Jojo as a pure striker but Jojo has the experience and will come in with a good gameplan. I prefer a play on Jojo rather than paying juice on Lipski. Paying bigtime juice on a wmma fight is never usually a good idea. Just ask Cyborg backers. I backed Cyborg myself and I don't think I'll ever pay that kind of juice on a ML wmma fight again.
Definitely agree experience will be a big thing, Lipski doesn't seem that smart and has been in trouble with far weaker fighters far too often. Put 0.2U on Jojo KO at +1300 I think that lines pretty crazy when Lipski was dropped by an absolute can last fight and has been TKO'd by an even worse fighter than that before. Lipski does look good on the feet but as with Jojo I don't trust her defence and I trust Jojo's chin way more.

Good point on catching the kicks too, Jojo really does have solid Muay Thai trips and clinch work and overall defence in pure Muay Thai striking. She was checking Calvillo's leg kicks effortlessly, hitting slick trips on Letourneau and overall looked pretty impressive in most areas, she just seems to cruise a bit too much Masvidal style and then her weak boxing defences seems to distract from the less obvious aspects of her game.

I'll definitely be betting Hernandez over Cerrone.

Cerrone has been in the game for SO long. Hernandez has an obsession and drive right now that cannot be matched by Cerrone after all these years.

It sucks, because Hernandez seems like a tool, and I like Cerrone, but I like money more.

Roberson vs Glover

FDGTD easy $$

Hmmm, not sure Robertson is such a lock to stop the fight. Fair enough I can see glover getting the stoppage pretty easy if he gets his takedown with enough time left in the round.

Menifield vs Castro, Gillespie vs medeiros and Hardy crowder are all pretty solid locks to end ITD though.

I’m taking Cejudo for 1.5U @2.65, TJs weightcut is gonna be to much so I think Cejudo can drain him quick.

Perfect, more muscles to slowly gas him with. Liking my Dillashaw in Rd 3-4-5 minis even more.
Plus, ignoring his cornerman’s ‘pull my finger’ request in that pic screams to me there’s a rift in Cejudos camp. Rip Henry backers.

Perfect, more muscles to slowly gas him with. Liking my Dillashaw in Rd 3-4-5 minis even more.
Plus, ignoring his cornerman’s ‘pull my finger’ request in that pic screams to me there’s a rift in Cejudos camp. Rip Henry backers.
How the hell does Cujudo look like that... Isn’t he a big flyweight already?

How the hell does Cujudo look like that... Isn’t he a big flyweight already?
Lighting from above casting shadows, likely dehydrated, likely eating hardly anything, likely just had training, full out flexing.

Today I tortured myself by watching the last 4 fights of Paige VanZant and the last 3 fights of Rachael Ostovich, two fighters I had blissfully never seen before.

My conclusion? They're both awful and have no business being in the UFC, let alone as the co-main of this card. Does that mean there isn't no opportunity to make money? Of course there is!

In the stand-up, which I anticipate there being long stretches of, which most (sane) people will use to grab a beer, Ostovich actually has the technical edge, as she can throw a competent jab (!!!) and her leg kicks are thrown more accurately than VanZant's attempts. Unfortunately, she has the reach of a midget, throws a strike at a time, and doesn't come forward, meaning VanZant's longer limbs, higher rate of activity, and genuinely good circling away from the power will be enough to win on the judge's cards.

Let's also not forget that Ostovich has a horrendous chin and is badly bothered by even the mildest contact, whereas VanZant, if nothing else, is tough and has plenty of heart, taking a beating against Rose Namajunas.

Now lets look at the grappling. Despite her much ballyhooed judo and wrestling background, Ostovich sucks at both, and her takedowns are laughable. On the flipside, VanZant has horrendous takedown defense. And yet, I doubt VanZant gets taken down so easily. Why?

Well, when she stopped going for the idiotic head-and-arm throws in the clinch against Jessica Rose-Clark, she suddenly wasn't THAT trivial to take down, with Rose-Clark ending up once on her own back. Jessy Jess sucks, but she is bigger, stronger, and a better grappler than Ostovich, so that's an encouraging sign.

But let's say the fight does go to the ground. VanZant is easy to GnP, but considering Ostovich has none, it's a non-issue. Ostovich is even easier to GnP, but considering VanZant has none, it's a non-issue, too!

However, VanZant does have some sweeps, reversals, and is pretty good at kicking off the cage. Ostovich looked astonishingly awful off her back against de la Rosa, like someone on their first day of BJJ.

Essentially, Ostovich's grappling consists of a sloppy armbar and little else. Luckily, for those who have seen the Rose Namajunas fight, we know Paige VanZant has hyper-flexible arms, managing to roll out of two tight Namajunas armbars that would have fucked up many other fighter's arms in that spot. Needless to say, Namajunas' armbar is far more technical, with more extension, and more physical strength applied than the lousy crap we've seen from Ostovich.

It's also worth mentioning that Ostovich, in addition to having a weak chin, tends to fade in fights and give up. VanZant fights hard until the bitter end. In a match between two shit combatants, that can often be the difference.

There is some risk here, as VanZant can fight like an idiot, get put repeatedly on her back and lose rounds, or give up her neck when Ostovich takes her back (which she is decent at, even if she is easy to shrug off from there). However, I think we're assuming a level of competence from Ostovich she has never shown, including not folding to adversity, and an especially bad VanZant. (Who is improving from bout to bout, if far more slowly than she should be)

I bet 2u on Paige VanZant, a lighter bet than I would like, but again, there is some danger.

Paige actually showed good gnp against Felice Herrig, apart from that good analysis thanks for sharing

My biggest factors in deciding difficult fights is looking at who has the stronger chin/cardio.

I guess that would have to be PVZ here.

Any thoughts on glover vs roberson, it is a pickem now, roberson is moving up in weight and short notice.

Today I tortured myself by watching the last 4 fights of Paige VanZant and the last 3 fights of Rachael Ostovich, two fighters I had blissfully never seen before.

My conclusion? They're both awful and have no business being in the UFC, let alone as the co-main of this card. Does that mean there isn't no opportunity to make money? Of course there is!
Isn't Hardy in the co-main?

tj-cejudo.jpg

In the stand-up, which I anticipate there being long stretches of, which most (sane) people will use to grab a beer, Ostovich actually has the technical edge, as she can throw a competent jab (!!!) and her leg kicks are thrown more accurately than VanZant's attempts. Unfortunately, she has the reach of a midget, throws a strike at a time, and doesn't come forward, meaning VanZant's longer limbs, higher rate of activity, and genuinely good circling away from the power will be enough to win on the judge's cards.

Let's also not forget that Ostovich has a horrendous chin and is badly bothered by even the mildest contact, whereas VanZant, if nothing else, is tough and has plenty of heart, taking a beating against Rose Namajunas.

Now lets look at the grappling. Despite her much ballyhooed judo and wrestling background, Ostovich sucks at both, and her takedowns are laughable. On the flipside, VanZant has horrendous takedown defense. And yet, I doubt VanZant gets taken down so easily. Why?

Well, when she stopped going for the idiotic head-and-arm throws in the clinch against Jessica Rose-Clark, she suddenly wasn't THAT trivial to take down, with Rose-Clark ending up once on her own back. Jessy Jess sucks, but she is bigger, stronger, and a better grappler than Ostovich, so that's an encouraging sign.

But let's say the fight does go to the ground. VanZant is easy to GnP, but considering Ostovich has none, it's a non-issue. Ostovich is even easier to GnP, but considering VanZant has none, it's a non-issue, too!

However, VanZant does have some sweeps, reversals, and is pretty good at kicking off the cage. Ostovich looked astonishingly awful off her back against de la Rosa, like someone on their first day of BJJ.

Essentially, Ostovich's grappling consists of a sloppy armbar and little else. Luckily, for those who have seen the Rose Namajunas fight, we know Paige VanZant has hyper-flexible arms, managing to roll out of two tight Namajunas armbars that would have fucked up many other fighter's arms in that spot. Needless to say, Namajunas' armbar is far more technical, with more extension, and more physical strength applied than the lousy crap we've seen from Ostovich.

It's also worth mentioning that Ostovich, in addition to having a weak chin, tends to fade in fights and give up. VanZant fights hard until the bitter end. In a match between two shit combatants, that can often be the difference.

There is some risk here, as VanZant can fight like an idiot, get put repeatedly on her back and lose rounds, or give up her neck when Ostovich takes her back (which she is decent at, even if she is easy to shrug off from there). However, I think we're assuming a level of competence from Ostovich she has never shown, including not folding to adversity, and an especially bad VanZant. (Who is improving from bout to bout, if far more slowly than she should be)

I bet 2u on Paige VanZant, a lighter bet than I would like, but again, there is some danger.

Good post.

I agree by and large. But I'll tell you whats stopping me from backing PVZ.

I agree that Ostovich holds the slight advantage in striking and also in defense. There isn't too much between them in terms of size btw. PVZ has shown zero head movement in any fight and gets hit clean in every fight. Good thing most wmma combatants have pillow power.

So you gotta expect PVZ to take clean shots here every now and then. Her lack of head movement means her head bobbles a bit when she gets hit and its a clear point scoring thing for her opponent.

The other thing is that PVZ employs a lot of movement and kicking the air Theodorou style. Ostovich will be the one coming forward I expect, again this isn't a good look for judges. If PVZ comes forward shes not that difficult to take down.

The last thing I noticed is that Ostovich actually goes for takedowns quite a bit and gets them. This is negated by them both being sloppy as hell on the ground but still, it's not a good look getting taken down. When they are both on the ground I give the edge to PVZ even off her back but it's still a risky situation.

I've seen posts making out like this is a mismatch for PVZ. I don't see that. Shes got advantages here but Ostovich has some things that are naturally in her favour if they fight the way they always fight. You can't expect much of a change due to the absence of fight IQ from both fighters.

Now saying all that, I still might actually back PVZ here and for the same reasons you mentioned. The intangibles like heart/chin/toughness/athleticism and also recent mental health over the past few months are all on PVZ's side you'd think. She looks delighted with her new tits and boyfriend and lifestyle whereas Ostovich has been dealing with her bfs assault, etc. I'm sure they both get treated like queens in their daily lives because they are both dimes but still. Given two fairly similarly matched fighters, all those things are pretty big things to take into account.

Overall I'd say that I can definitely understand people hitting PVZ at her current price and I may do so also but mainly due to the intangibles she has over Ostovich. From a pure MMA style perspective, I wouldn't pay juice on PVZ here.

It's interesting to see such analysis from someone with fresh eyes, as I can barely recall not being familiar with both fighters, having seen both of them many times from Invicta, TUF and now the UFC.

Isn't Hardy in the co-main?

Maybe. I was just going off the bout order. Regardless, this is a putrid match that should be held in Invicta, not the 2nd or 3rd last fight of a significant UFC event.

Good analysis, and I largely agree; VanZant-Ostovich looks like a mismatch on paper, but once I watched their respective fights, I realized it was actually relatively close. I had to seriously think about whether to bet the line at all, and ended up going much lighter than I would like. From a handicapping perspective, I think the initial line of -200 for PVZ was quite accurate.

I'm not sure about Ostovich coming forward, though; she has a tendency to passively sit on the outside and doesn't have the tools to effectively get inside, something her father/cornerman yelled at her for. There is no reason she should have been bleeding rounds to de la Rosa either, and yet, her opponent was up 2-0 going into the 3rd.

On the bright side, the betting stake gives us a reason to be interested in this otherwise dreadful fight. Just don't go betting the house on this one!

I love Glover Teixeira at -105 vs short notice & going up to LHW Karl Roberson. Glover will have a big ground advantage too. Much more winnable fight for sure than his previous opponent.

Anyone else having an issue with the posts not being chronological? Got posts at 5:30am (4 hours ago) showing as more recently as something 6 minutes ago?

Well this is not a surprise Te Edwards is now a slight favorite.
I will betting Edwards for a KO 1st rd.

Back