uncoordinated partners

killedsirius

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So my coach has been patiently working with this new lad (who never intends fighting). He's a real nice guy, but sometimes some of us at the club stay behind and do drills and tonight he did too. I've never ever experienced anything like drilling with this guy. He was literally totally uncoordinated, and he's been doing it a few months now. He also skips like a lunatic, moves about 20 feet across the studio when skipping lol. I was doing just the most basic catch the jab and return drill and he couldn't get it still after 5 rounds.

So question, are some people just too uncoordinated to actually learn even the basics?

Yes.^ I trained a guy once who was a paper genius, some kind of nuclear mathematician doing top secret work or whatever. Yeah, he was so uncoordinated it was embarrassing. I know enough about physics to describe boxing training to a nerd, and he lit up when I used that link. Still swung his punches like a muppet.

So my coach has been patiently working with this new lad (who never intends fighting). He's a real nice guy, but sometimes some of us at the club stay behind and do drills and tonight he did too. I've never ever experienced anything like drilling with this guy. He was literally totally uncoordinated, and he's been doing it a few months now. He also skips like a lunatic, moves about 20 feet across the studio when skipping lol. I was doing just the most basic catch the jab and return drill and he couldn't get it still after 5 rounds.

So question, are some people just too uncoordinated to actually learn even the basics?

Just send your partner to this guy. He knows how to deal with such folks.

[YT]syhb3z4pTFQ[/YT]

if nerds are so smart why dont they lift and dress good so they can get girls

There's a couple, give it time they'll get better

Wish I was a rich douchebag then...

Wish I was a rich douchebag,
Wish I got jet lag,
Wish I wore armani and inherited all of the swag,
Wish I had a rolex anna yacht anna girl with a saint Lauren handbag.

Edit. Hey, proof of concept in 5min on the John. Fixed.

Last edited:
if nerds are so smart why dont they lift and dress good so they can get girls

Because they're busy making 1000 dollars a day.

Let me guess, you don't know any of them?

Wish I got jet lag,
Wish I could sail and had friends that would hooray,

I wish you could rap.

The white version of "I wish"...hey, someone notify MC Chris, he could pull it off.

Yes, some people aren't cut out for it really, but I've found there are ways to help a person get the most out of whatever thier natural abilities may be, even if it's not much.

Of the the two student's I have right now, one of them just flat out can't seem to get the timing right on his straight lead (jkd version of the jab) when hitting pads/the bag, because he literally can't feel when one part of his body is moving in comparison to the others.

But when I charge him while I'm wearing protective gear, all of a sudden it fixes itself...

If he's the one attacking me, then the timing gets broken again...

Sometimes it's just a mindset sort of thing. This student lives in sort of a rough area and has seen his fair share of people getting hurt, so tapping into his defensive instincts seems to work very well. But the moment he doesn't feel like he's going to get hit, the timing just dissapears.

It's something I'm still working on with him, but more and more I'm finding that the timing just won't be there unless we can somehow get him in the mindset of actually defending himself/someone else.

If the guy you're describing is like those "wall street" guys in that video linked, then probably the biggest challenge is going to be getting him to train as if he is in a fight during the training itself. If he can get into that mindset, then eventually he can learn. Otherwise, well... It doesn't look good.

Wish I got jet lag,
Wish I could sail and had friends that would hooray,

boy that shit is fucking wack
boy you need to catch some flack
and I hope you're not black
better raps from *****s on crack

What can I say. I'm really, really fucking white

PS fixed..

Control of ones body or more specifically proprioception is something with a genetic component. Say you have a predetermined range or speed of development potential and your lifes activities, mediated through this determines how coordinated you are.

I believe experience is the absolute effect but that speed of learning is what separates the best from the best and the worst from the worst.

Most uncoordinated people simply lack athletic experiences and any reflex training.

The athletically inexperienced have a really hard time relaxing and also slowing down activities to train the muscle memory.

I don't believe some people are or aren't cut out for martial arts, everyone can benefit... There are a lot of people who have a hard time or difficulty with training and performing though.

The older one gets with minimal athletic experiences the harder and smarter you have to work to gain proficiency.

This comes from personal training and coaching people just like this. Some people have developed mentalities that need to be overcame to let themselves train effectively. Anyone can put the work in. Individuals who have experience making their body perform will always out shine those who do not.

Back