Underrated mma win streak of 37-0-1

I’m not saying you’re wrong because MMA really was the Wild West back then, but the ref actually did a damn fine job in stopping the Varelans fight when he did. Compare that stoppage to the Turner - Green fight from a few weeks ago and it’s pretty sad actually.

That fight, I agree, but there's another fight of Igor's where he kicks some poor dude's skull in. And then they make him fight the same guy again.

cos Fedor beat everyones ass and Igor would lose to Tra Telligman and Mario Sperry in his prime.
The tra telligman loss was one of mma biggest upsets in mma history at the time. Goes down as one of prides top underdog wins

Ice Cold bless. Can't recall anybody watching from that timeframe not being a huge fan. The early tourneys were just brutal and he carried that success well to the upper echelon. Literally a bloated MW fighting behemoths his entire career. What's not to love?

He was a psycho. Those fights were just brutal, people getting kicked in the head on the ground, and then made to fight again the same night. He'd fight guys who were 260 pounds even though Igor probably had to drink a ton of beer to even make 220. Barely any rules, no commissions, no fucks given by the referees whether the fighter lived or died.
Sounds good to me

Attachments

• images (20).jpeg
    images (20).jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 1
cos Fedor beat everyones ass and Igor would lose to Tra Telligman and Mario Sperry in his prime.
Kind sir that is just rude. Would love to see it if it didn't happen yet

Best fighter of the 90s. He would be a MW by todays weightcutting standards and he was knocking HWs dead.

What makes Igor's streak it even more impressive is that he had so many BJJ black belts in that streak:
Adilson Lima, Castelo Branco, Edson Carvalho, Francisco Bueno, Carlos Baretto, Akira Shoji.
It was at the time when Brazilian jiu jitsu was seen as dominant force in MMA, mystic skill which hardy anyone can confront, that brings victories and huge edge to it's masters.

What makes Igor's streak it even more impressive is that he had so many BJJ black belts in that streak:
Adilson Lima, Castelo Branco, Edson Carvalho, Francisco Bueno, Carlos Baretto, Akira Shoji.
It was at the time when Brazilian jiu jitsu was seen as dominant force in MMA, mystic skill which hardy anyone can confront, that brings victories and huge edge to it's masters.
Them butt scooters ( and shoji) never stood a chance ahahahhaha

Last edited:
Apparently in his village in Ukraine when Igor was growing up, the villagers would ring the town bell whenever Igor was angry to warn the townspeople to stay inside

Igor actually denied this. It’s just a bit of folklore.

Also to anyone saying he could cut down to lower than MW, I doubt it unless he lost a bunch of muscle mass.

Igor already had a bunch of hand injuries among others by the time he got to Pride from all the bareknuckle tournaments. That’s why he retired relatively young. He also was only knocked out once in his career of 60+ fights and it took a clean Cro Cop headkick to do it.

And now this legend is helping with the fight in the Ukraine war. What a warrior.

Also to anyone saying he could cut down to lower than MW, I doubt it unless he lost a bunch of muscle mass.
People just throw these things out there with no basis in reality.

In this fight in 205 and that looks honestly like the perfect weight for him.

LOL @ someone saying he should be 155 lbs. Yeah im sure anorexic igor sets the world on fire. Lets lose all the muscle and see if he has any of his power left.

That fight, I agree, but there's another fight of Igor's where he kicks some poor dude's skull in. And then they make him fight the same guy again.

Oh dear god, that’s bad! Fighters may be more skilled now but I don’t know how many are wired in the same way that the old guard was. Equip that old mindset with contemporary fighting acumen and training methodologies and you’ve got a terrifying person.

Back