Unpopular opinion: 2nd half of Tarantino's career is better than the first half

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Firat half of Tarantino's career, 92' - 08': Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1&2.

Second half of career 09 - to present: inglorious bastards, Hateful eight, Django, Once upon a time in Hollywood.

In my opinion I favor the second half of Tarantino's career based on the fact that I still watch those films, whereas I almost never watch the films from the first half of his career. Obviously Pulp Fiction is a bonafide classic but after 2 viewings there's not much pleasure to be had from additional viewings. On the other hand I can watch any film from the second half of Qt's career and still love it even though it's like the 9th or 10th viewing.

He fell off of a cliff after Death Proof and never recovered imo. After that everything just felt like parody or a challenge to see how many other films he could reference before the film ran out.

Not sure what you're smoking.

I enjoy his movies immensely and have all of the movies on bluray but I do feel like the second half of his career he rests on his laurels and isn't as original and risk taking as he was with his earlier works. He identified what his audience likes and make similar things in different settings. I still like those films but I rate the first half better.

I don't think first half/second half matters.

Kill Bill is my favorite, but a close second is hateful 8.

Death Proof is the worst, but a close second is Jackie Brown.

There's greatness throughout his career, but he's not perfect.

speak-english-pulp-fiction.gif

Hard disagree here.

But also you are ignoring the films he wrote which would fall in the first half

True Romance - my personal favorite QT flick
Natural Born Killers
Dusk Til Dawn

I don't think it would be particularly close even with the list as written in the OP, but add these in and there is nothing to talk about, it's a blow out.

still watch those films, whereas I almost never watch the films from the first half of his career. Obviously Pulp Fiction is a bonafide classic but after 2 viewings there's not much pleasure to be had from additional viewings. On the other hand I can watch any film from the second half of Qt's career and still love it even though it's like the 9th or 10th viewing.
I think that's a you problem

Hard disagree for me as well. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are the best things he ever did imo. I enjoy all his films, but I like the films in the first half of his career more by a considerable margin.

Firat half of Tarantino's career, 92' - 08': Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1&2.

Second half of career 09 - to present: inglorious bastards, Hateful eight, Django, Once upon a time in Hollywood.

In my opinion I favor the second half of Tarantino's career based on the fact that I still watch those films, whereas I almost never watch the films from the first half of his career. Obviously Pulp Fiction is a bonafide classic but after 2 viewings there's not much pleasure to be had from additional viewings. On the other hand I can watch any film from the second half of Qt's career and still love it even though it's like the 9th or 10th viewing.

I lost all faith in qt with kill Bill. I absolutely hate Django to a point where watching it makes me angry but I loved once upon a time in Hollywood to a point where I have forgiven the trash period and look forward to his final film.

I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Other than that, his first part of his career is definitely better. Django and Inglorius were solid though.

I agree with you random Seahawks fan! But thats because I only watched the history related ones.

The problem with Pulp Fiction is it inspired JJ Abrams with the briefcase becoming the model for his stupid mystery boxes. So fuck it.

The one Tarantino movie that genuinely disappointed me was "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".
The others I do like.

Wasn't crazy about Kill Bill but there you are.

Inglorious Basterds is fantastic, definitely one of myu favorite Tarantino movies -- my favorite scene in that is the basement bar scene in the town of Nadine. Great cinema and I love it that Tarantino doesn't rush those scenes. Around 20mins I think it was, and the opening scene in the French farmhouse was also around 23 or 24mins by memory.

Quick recc.... go watch Fury (2014) if you haven't already seen it. 5 men in a Sherman tank, Brad Pitt is the tank commander.
It's superb.

resevoir dogs : mid
pulp fiction : very very good
jackie brown : good
kill bill 1 & 2 : cringe movies made for fat virgin otakus

you might be onto something

In my opinion I favor the second half of Tarantino's career

mec.gif

Obviously Pulp Fiction is a bonafide classic but after 2 viewings there's not much pleasure to be had from additional viewings.

giphy.gif

I promise you, there are dozens of things that you've never noticed before in that movie. Watch it a third time with an eye toward spotting things you never noticed before and then thank me when you're done.

QT-728812.jpg

Back