Urban takes a dedicated shot at weight gain

Urban, how have your eating and training habits changed in light of your recent medical advisement?

Ya the Michael Phelps thing caused quite a stir at work, one guy saying that's it's impossible to take in that many calories.

When I was trying to gain weight a little more than a year ago I was hitting 8k with ease. I can't imagine what someone with the time could do to their diet.

Good luck in your weight gaining shenanigans Urban.

Since august, A couple months went by where I hovered in the 195-200 "eating like a bitch" range.

none of this other shit works for me. Eating 6 small meals, annabolic diet, eating a shitload of supplemental protein disguised as water, perfectly balanced blender bombs, none of it could be sustained long term. I get sick of doing it, don't miss meals, can't stand the taste, or just lack the discipline... so I have a new gimmick: lots of food.

This one's working. Every day meets the following prerequisites:
2 lbs of meat (turkey, chicken, 90% lean beef, buffalo, bison, ostritch, fish, alligaor, mongoose, rattlesnake, I don't care, 32 oz or more)
1 lb vegetables
.25 lbs spinach
.5 lbs fruit (half berries, half medley)
1 cup oats
1 quart milk
165g (1000 Calories) mixed nuts
and about 40-60g of net protein through shakes.

206 lbs and rising. I've never been this heavy before, and it's surprisingly cheap to maintain this diet I'm eating for about a hundred bucks a week.

- Buy in bulk (thank you costco), cook once for the week, freeze about 3/4 of it in portioned packages, and thaw/reheat as neccessary.

- Some days I eat a 7 egg scramble (3 whole eggs and 4 egg's volume in whites) in place of a .5 lbs of the day's meat.

- Veggies included in the dishes i make (like the tomatoes in meatloaf or chili) don't count towards the 1lb quota. Nor do those sparse in nutrients like lettuce or cellery

- most veggies are turned into soup and most fruits are turned into smoothies (and include a scoop of vanilla protein) via the vitamix.

- I'm trying to get in touch with a grassfed buffalo (or was it bison?) farm around here which will bring my cost up to about 130-150bucks a week, but I think it'd be worth it.

- I've lost my 4-pack and gained a bit of a fupa, but fuck it, you gotta break some eggs to make an omlette. between 20 rep squats and this dietary regimen I feel like I'm finally making good headway (having written that out I feel like I've said that before). any definition in my midsection was basically just skinny bitch abs anyways.

- It's hard to eat this much food at first and is still kinda difficult 3-4 weeks in, but always having food on hand < always having food in your hand < always having food in your mouth. I work with a home made oat/protein bar in my hand or a vitamix full of goodness right next to me.

1320 total @ 220 here I come

Negative, I was missing breakfast. It wasn't a conscious desire to skip, I just didn't have food ready. Time to fix that.

Get you some oatmeal with flax seed mixed in their, a banana, and a protein shake and you are ready to go.

Go with me on this for a second.

Don't some of the posts in this thread (like hardhearts) kinda disprove the cal in/cal out thing. If hardheart was eating 8k cals and even given a very high basal rate of 3k and lets say 3k worth of exercise (which is pretty damn ridiculous unless you a pro athlete who does nothing but train), he should be gaining a pound of fat ever 42 hours. I'm guessing he wasn't, so what gives?

You post just inspired me to microwave another bowl of ground beef.

Since august, A couple months went by where I hovered in the 195-200 "eating like a bitch" range.

none of this other shit works for me. Eating 6 small meals, annabolic diet, eating a shitload of supplemental protein disguised as water, perfectly balanced blender bombs, none of it could be sustained long term. I get sick of doing it, don't miss meals, can't stand the taste, or just lack the discipline... so I have a new gimmick: lots of food.

This one's working. Every day meets the following prerequisites:
2 lbs of meat (turkey, chicken, 90% lean beef, buffalo, bison, ostritch, fish, alligaor, mongoose, rattlesnake, I don't care, 32 oz or more)
1 lb vegetables
.25 lbs spinach
.5 lbs fruit (half berries, half medley)
1 cup oats
1 quart milk
165g (1000 Calories) mixed nuts
and about 40-60g of net protein through shakes.

206 lbs and rising. I've never been this heavy before, and it's surprisingly cheap to maintain this diet I'm eating for about a hundred bucks a week.

- Buy in bulk (thank you costco), cook once for the week, freeze about 3/4 of it in portioned packages, and thaw/reheat as neccessary.

- Some days I eat a 7 egg scramble (3 whole eggs and 4 egg's volume in whites) in place of a .5 lbs of the day's meat.

- Veggies included in the dishes i make (like the tomatoes in meatloaf or chili) don't count towards the 1lb quota. Nor do those sparse in nutrients like lettuce or cellery

- most veggies are turned into soup and most fruits are turned into smoothies (and include a scoop of vanilla protein) via the vitamix.

- I'm trying to get in touch with a grassfed buffalo (or was it bison?) farm around here which will bring my cost up to about 130-150bucks a week, but I think it'd be worth it.

- I've lost my 4-pack and gained a bit of a fupa, but fuck it, you gotta break some eggs to make an omlette. between 20 rep squats and this dietary regimen I feel like I'm finally making good headway (having written that out I feel like I've said that before). any definition in my midsection was basically just skinny bitch abs anyways.

- It's hard to eat this much food at first and is still kinda difficult 3-4 weeks in, but always having food on hand < always having food in your hand < always having food in your mouth. I work with a home made oat/protein bar in my hand or a vitamix full of goodness right next to me.

1320 total @ 220 here I come

wtf, if anything throw out the whites so you can eat more yolks.

A few huge meals a day works way better than frequent smaller meals.

The eating the 24 cheeseburgers thing was good, and interests me as maybe this is why i am always hungry. I used to eat massive quantities of food, family packs of tacos 2 baconators and a jr. bacon etc. (yes i know this is junk and why i got fat) but i think it stretched my stomach to much and this is why my hunger is constant and insatiable, i can eat a large meal and without fail be hungry less than 2 hours later, sometimes 30 mintutes.

Anywho this relates to you in that i think once a week or more you could try a very large stomach stretching meal, not necessarilly junk but maybe a ton of beef and beans int he form of chili with a loaf of wheat bread? just a thought.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-72zR2Lm_g&hl=sv&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-72zR2Lm_g&hl=sv&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Learn from Magnus Samuelson who gets 8000 calories a day.
Keypoint to get up in those numbers liquid calories as in "gainers" are your best friend since it dont make you as full.

Malto is your best friend...

Go with me on this for a second.

Don't some of the posts in this thread (like hardhearts) kinda disprove the cal in/cal out thing. If hardheart was eating 8k cals and even given a very high basal rate of 3k and lets say 3k worth of exercise (which is pretty damn ridiculous unless you a pro athlete who does nothing but train), he should be gaining a pound of fat ever 42 hours. I'm guessing he wasn't, so what gives?

Cal in/out isn't a theory so there's nothing to disprove. A couple of things... there's a variable called NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis) which can be a huge wild card from one person to the next. Some lucky freaks have the ability to jack up NEAT to very high levels while in a hypercaloric state.

The other thing is that this is the internet and people tend to exaggerate (please, no flaming :D. I'm not pointing any fingers here are accusing anyone of lying in this thread... I'm just saying). Also, research has shown time and time again that fat people under estimate and under report how much they eat every day. Under weight people tend to do the exact opposite. This is also why survey based weight studies are meaningless.

I guess I should rephrase it then. What I meant was, it's not as easy as taking the number of calories you eat from food and subtracting your BMR+an estimate of your activity (which I guess is what your saying with NEAT).

On an off topic, I guess I just think that calories aren't an exact measure of the energy in food, or at least of how our bodies use it. I'm sure you probably know this, but the amount of calories in a food is determined by lighting it on fire and measuring the heat it gives off. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing this is the right way to measure it. I know it's the best we have right now, but there are too many outliers for me to believe it's reliable. I don't even know if this makes sense to anyone else, I guess I'm just rambling on.

It makes sense. Some calories can even be shit out and never absorbed (though I have no idea what the ratio of this is or how if varies from person to person or diet to diet).

You're right, it's not always that easy to figure out because there can be a lot of genetic variables that can make large differences.

The only way to truly find maintenance level is with trial and error. Set a realistic benchmark and then monitor progress for a few weeks and then adjust up or down depending on the results. Most people need to look at averages though because most are, of course, average.

The guy who I trust the most with my nutrition said I should be eating 36 eggs a day, this is because I have to be a vegetarian (people Iam crashing with are vegetarian, and I didn't want to meat up their kitchen.).

Respek, but I hope you're not crashing long term. :eek:

Back