US tax burden by state.

This is gonna get War roomed as soon as someone points out some of the obvious here..
Is the obvious flaw that the chart doesn't say at what income bracket one pays these tax rates and is therefore semi-useless?
California sixth overall. It's high no doubt but it's amazing how people spout off how it's the worst in the country. Honestly it's only the worst if make over $400k year. Otherwise its a little bit worse than average.
Yeah, even with Prop 13, property tax rate does this metric no favors due to inherently higher property values.

Most taxes in the US are bullshit that have zero lawful reason to exist.

There was no income tax in this country until the early 1900s when cocksucker bankers engineered a financial collapse so they could swoop in to save the day with the federal reserve, which is private (not federal) and has no reserves.
(see fractional reserve banking)

If our founding fathers were here today they would murder every central bank owner and their entire bloodlines, wipe the debt to zero and start over with a new constitutional convention.

Single male in California. You can't get taxed much harder.

Make the move to NY and we can be 12% neighbors!

I pay more in taxes than the national median household income and I'm not rich...

Most taxes in the US are bullshit that have zero lawful reason to exist.

There was no income tax in this country until the early 1900s when cocksucker bankers engineered a financial collapse so they could swoop in to save the day with the federal reserve, which is private (not federal) and has no reserves.
(see fractional reserve banking)

If our founding fathers were here today they would murder every central bank owner and their entire bloodlines, wipe the debt to zero and start over with a new constitutional convention.
Just imagine what would happen if you explained to them how tectonic plates work. Point being, they're knowledge of economics and science were pretty dogshit 300 years ago.

That isn’t correct. Income tax is only one way they get you. There’s also property tax, sales tax, and some more hidden taxes on various things. So the real tax burdens for middle class people are much closer to one another as measured state by state.

Here’s a pretty good article about some of that, specifically the comparison between California and Texas. For Californians, prop 13 caps our property tax levels around 1%, which is nice. We of course pay higher income tax and gasoline tax.

Last edited:
I really dont understand the murican tax system.
Everywhere except US (and Canada): Just put how much the product costs on the shelf and advertising! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

US (and Canada): Welcome to the Labryrinth! 😈

1200px-Sales_tax_by_county.webp.png

Sales-Tax.png

7CcX.gif

Last edited:
So what tax is this. Is this just state tax that goes on every purchase of goods or services?
States have varied forms of taxation. Some have an income tax where they tax the money you make. Some have property taxes so people pay an annual amount based on the value of real estate that they own. Then there are sales taxes, vehicle taxes etc. Many have all of those.

I'm retired so I don't have any taxable income. I own a house so I pay property taxes. Most of the property tax goes to fund schools. There has never been a child that lived on this land to go to school. The first homesteader never married or had any children. A man and his sister, who was a schoolteacher, bought it in 1930. Neither of them every married or had any children. I bought my land from him after his sister died. I suppose you could say we all paid for the education we got as children instead of paying for our children's education.

Gas taxes pay for roads. The State has a sales tax and most counties also have 1/2 percent sales tax.

That isn’t correct. Income tax is only one way they get you. There’s also property tax, sales tax, and some more hidden taxes on various things. So the real tax burdens for middle class people are much closer to one another as measured state by state.

Here’s a pretty good article about some of that, specifically the comparison between California and Texas. For Californians, prop 13 caps our property tax levels around 1%, which is nice. We of course pay higher income tax and gasoline tax.

It's way off, property taxes in Texas are quite high, meanwhile Oregon has no state sales tax or state income tax yet they are represented as similar when your tax burden in Oregon is much lower.

Without more information about how the values were calculated the original chart is useless.

I really dont understand the murican tax system.
Neither does 90 percent of us. We are mainly just flying by the seat of our pants in regard to taxes. Hiring folks who we assume know what they are doing. It is insane the system we have while not teaching it more in schools.

Yep, this is how my experience went when I moved to South Carolina in 2015 for work. I worked in Charlotte, NC, but lived in SC. I chose SC because they were advertised as the lower tax state of the Carolinas. That is false advertising, or at least a bait and switch tactic. I paid more property taxes in SC than I did in California. By the time I left SC in 2019, I was convinced there is some mega grift going on in that state. SC says that the largest portion of taxes go to the schools, however the teachers are paid shit there, they require students to supply their own school items (and to bring enough for the entire class, this is required for each student in class), and they were constantly fundraising all year.

There was an article a few weeks ago, that SC recently discovered they have a bank account with 1.8 billion in there, with no clue how it got there.

CBS News:
South Carolina has collected about $1.8 billion in a bank account over the past decade — and doesn't know where the money came from or where it was supposed to go.

"It's like going into your bank and the bank president tells you we have a lot of money in our vault but we just don't know who it belongs to," said Republican Sen. Larry Grooms, who is leading a Senate panel investigating the problem.

The bank account, which is now being examined by state and private accountants, is the latest trouble with the state's books and comes after South Carolina's top accountant resigned last year. In that case, elected Republican comptroller general Richard Eckstrom stepped down after his agency started double posting money in higher education accounts, leading to a $3.5 billion error that was all on paper.

The paper error started during a decade-long transition to a new accounting system, which began in 2007, according to the South Carolina Daily Gazette.

But the $1.8 billion involves actual cash placed in a bank account. Now, lawmakers are asking why the money was parked there in first place and why officials never fixed the problem,

"This is one of the things that was swept under the rug for years," Grooms told the Daily Gazette.

Looking for answers​

Investigative accountants are still trying to untangle the mess, but it appears that every time the state's books were out of whack, money was shifted from somewhere into an account that helped balance it out, state Senate leaders have said.

"Politics really shouldn't come into play. People prefer their accountants not be crusaders," Grooms said Tuesday, just after the Senate approved putting a constitutional amendment before voters to make the comptroller general an appointed position. The proposal now goes to the House.

Grooms suggested that an amendment to make the treasurer also appointed might be next unless he can provide some satisfactory answers.

Whatever caused the bank account errors has not been rectified, and if there are records showing where the $1.8 billion came from, they have not been shared with state leaders.

"It does not inspire confidence. But the good news is no money was lost," Republican Gov. Henry McMaster said.

$200 million in interest​

Elected Republican Treasurer Curtis Loftis, whose job is to write checks for the state, has said he invested the money in the mystery account and made nearly $200 million in interest for the state, which led to questions about why he didn't let the General Assembly know money they either set aside for state agencies or that might have been in a trust fund was just sitting around.

Loftis said that wasn't the job of his office.

The comptroller general "is attempting to shift responsibility to clean up its mess to the Treasurer," Loftis wrote in a March 14 letter to Grooms that also said a timeline to answer questions in just a few weeks was impossible.

Loftis said his staff spent thousands of hours researching the account, and that the Comptroller General's Office has refused to meet with them or share information. In one Facebook comment earlier this month, he asked his followers to "pray for my staff as they are working tremendous hours due to this situation."

An audit of how the Treasurer's Office and the Comptroller General's Office communicate found they don't do it well.

The treasurer hasn't answered detailed questions from lawmakers but has posted statements on social media where he said he was being attacked politically and was having blame shifted on him by Comptroller General Brian Gaines, a well-respected career government worker who took over the office after Richard Eckstrom resigned during his sixth term.

A long history of accounting issues​

Gaines and Loftis have been called before Grooms' committee next week. Grooms said Gaines has answered every question his subcommittee has asked and that he has confidence in his work.

Grooms said he thinks Loftis' office should have found the mistake, but it was reported by the Comptroller General's Office.

South Carolina has had a long history of accounting issues.

The Treasurer's Office was created when the state's first constitution was written in 1776. Back then, the General Assembly selected the treasurer. But by the early 1800s, the state's finances were in "a state of bewildering confusion" and no one could "tell the amounts of debts or of the credit of the State," according to History of South Carolina, a book edited in 1920 by Yates Snowden and Howard Cutler.

The first comptroller general determined the state was due about $750,000, which would be worth about $20 million today considering inflation.

Meanwhile, plenty of lawmakers and others are aware there is $1.8 billion sitting around potentially unspent and not appropriated at a time when $3 billion in requests from state agencies went unfulfilled in next year's budget just passed by the South Carolina House.

Legislative leaders and the governor want to wait for some definitive report before tapping into the account.

"That's a lot of money and there is no need to hurry up and try to spend it," McMaster said.

Alaska here I come - where summers are mostly daylight and winters like your living in hell. But hey taxes are next to nothing so Win!

Yep, this is how my experience went when I moved to South Carolina in 2015 for work. I worked in Charlotte, NC, but lived in SC. I chose SC because they were advertised as the lower tax state of the Carolinas. That is false advertising, or at least a bait and switch tactic. I paid more property taxes in SC than I did in California. By the time I left SC in 2019, I was convinced there is some mega grift going on in that state. SC says that the largest portion of taxes go to the schools, however the teachers are paid shit there, they require students to supply their own school items (and to bring enough for the entire class, this is required for each student in class), and they were constantly fundraising all year.

There was an article a few weeks ago, that SC recently discovered they have a bank account with 1.8 billion in there, with no clue how it got there.

CBS News:
Oh, that is for sure some politicians skimming off the top and putting it in hay account until they decide to split it amongst themselves.

Yeah, I remember reading about taxes on food items in certain states. Like, any food you buy at all. There are all sorts of taxes a lot of states charge that aren’t really advertised, and they typically make up for any lack of income tax.

I mean, how else would you actually have a government? Are people just governing and working for all of the necessary agencies out of the goodness of their hearts?

Neither does 90 percent of us. We are mainly just flying by the seat of our pants in regard to taxes. Hiring folks who we assume know what they are doing. It is insane the system we have while not teaching it more in schools.
Most of this could solved if we eliminated tax preparation servicea and just had the IRS send an itemized bill. It's what most of the world does.

Back