"USADA ruined Pettis!"

the 2nd isn't an after picture

they're both just from around the period he was more yolked

It's basically those upper abs that I don't remember seeing etched like that this weekend. Otherwise, I don't think he looks that different.

I lean to the belief that the sport was/is generally way dirtier than anyone wants to admit, and USADA certainly did change some careers, but "USADA did it!" tends to ignore the many, many variables that can cause even the greatest fighters to falter. You won't catch me saying any fighter is guaranteed clean but there were so many other reasons Pettis hit the rough patch that he did that predate USADA's arrival by years.

Crying USADA more often than not is just a convenient way for people to bash a fighter they don't like.

It's always been far too convenient an excuse, and to say that USADA caused someone to lose a fight assumes that the other fighter was clean all along, and has always been as good as they are now. That barely scratches the surface of why it's a terrible excuse, but I think you covered most of it pretty well already.

Just because he won against WB it doesn't mean he is not the inconsistent fighter he has always been, susceptible to pressure grapplers. His striking has always been very good. Let us not pretend that kind of punch is something bound to happen every fight. It is a rare thing to land.

Pettis derailing had nothing to do with USADA or confidence. It had to do with his limitations as a fighter. Those are still there.

This narrative that "he lost confidence" is just excuse making. So when he loses it is because he has no confidence, but when he wins everything is alright. That way he can't lose unless there's something wrong in advance. Convenient.

pettis-bendoHEADER.png

108900c3cdf947437c2c99259b32b85e.jpg
he's carrying more weight now but he doesn't have any of the signs of steroid use here'; traps, delts both looks like someone who hits the gym a few times a week would. No gyno or vascularity either.

It's always been far too convenient an excuse, and to say that USADA caused someone to lose a fight assumes that the other fighter was clean all along, and has always been as good as they are now. That barely scratches the surface of why it's a terrible excuse, but I think you covered most of it pretty well already.
All one has to do is ignore everything else, point, and accuse. It's basically a witch hunt. Might as well say, "I saw (fighter) with the devil!" because it makes about as much sense and is just as provable.

This narrative that "he lost confidence" is just excuse making. So when he loses it is because he has no confidence, but when he wins everything is alright. That way he can't lose unless there's something wrong in advance. Convenient.

I don't see that narrative as an excuse since a well prepared fighter ought to have confidence. However, I do find it very credible that he has some psychological stumbling blocks. If he were fighting like he did in his heyday, I'd say "Okay, he's a good fighter but there are better and he lost to them." However, when I see him looking timid and listless and not even trying to do the things we know he can do, I really think he has a problem other than his opponent.

What do you tits have to say now? He lost confidence after the RDA fight and even admitted it himself, he didn't have confidence in his strikes. He wasn't some GOAT level fighter before USADA he was a guy with good BJJ off his back and good kicks at distance. Don't give him space and he's not that dangerous. He's subbed Chiesa and Oliveira and ko'd Wonderboy post USADA. Tony, RDA and Holloway would always be really tough matchups for him. Poirier and Alvarez were winnable fights though but they fought smart and managed to beat him.
RDA ruined Pettis bad. Pettit is just now getting his confidence back.

Melendes had some good pressure on him and made the blueprint, RDA implemented that and took his soul.

Pettis cant handle pressure, but he is such a dangerous finisher from everywhere.

ITT: people who don't understand the art of sarcastic quotation

Back