using DLR to Take the Back, when to disqualify?

codemonkey76

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Hoping some other qualified ref's will comment and offer their opinions on this. I had an instance on the weekend refereeing where a competitor used the position shown in the photo below to attempt to take the back.

346qhlf.png

This picture is from the rulebook under "Locks twisting the knee" as illegal for all levels.
My question is when does the deep DLR hook become illegal, is it when the leg is underhooked, is it specific to the grip in the photo. As far as I can see without a sleeve grip the guy can just give his back to relieve the pressure on his knee?

I generally consider it when the DLR hook inserted and an underdook with hand clasping the other hand. Pretty much the grip in the photo.

I'm not an IBJJF ref or anything but I have refereed several times, for reference.

Thiago has made it clear to us in a rules discussion that it is the gable grip as per the pic that makes the DQ, one armed underhook is all good

Thiago has made it clear to us in a rules discussion that it is the gable grip as per the pic that makes the DQ, one armed underhook is all good

How about if you grip your own lapel instead of your other hand? Same effect basically. DQ?

Was anyone actually using the gable grip like that in the first place? I'd never seen it before it was banned, and it does not seem very effective anyway.

Good to know, still not too sure about trying this in a local though in fear of getting DQ'd.

Was anyone actually using the gable grip like that in the first place? I'd never seen it before it was banned, and it does not seem very effective anyway.

Never have seen the gable grip used for this transition either. The standard DLR to back variations I have been taught have virtually no chance of being controversial for reaping.

Right, seems like it would prevent the back take, which is usually the goal of DLR.

Caio Terra showed this to us about a year and a half ago in Richmond as a great competition option. It was, for about another six months or so.

This is one of my most high percentage sweeps/back takes. I don't really ever use the cable grip except occasionally in no gi. To my understanding, as soon as you clasp your hands together it's a DQ.

Gui & the Miyaos most notably
Yeah, the Mendez Bros. I started a thread a long time ago asking some questions about Rafa's (I think it was Rafa) DLR to back take. He used the cable grip to push his opponent forward and then take the back.

So just to be clear, since there has been a lot of confusion over the underhook DLR guard. Is it legal for me to get the underhook DLR, thread my dlr hook to the far leg, and then procede to torque to force my opponent to expose their back so long as I don't use the gable grip?

I was under the impression, hopefully wrong, that having the position without the gable grip was legal was legal, but it was illegal to thread the dlr hook to the far hip and torque the knee in order to expose the opponent's back.

I absolutely love the underhook dlr, but I stop using it due to there being so much confusion over the legality of the mood. If it is only illegal with the gable grip this thread just made my week.

I use this all the time, it's practically my favorite DLR attack. You just sort of crank your opponent downwards ... you won't submit them, but they will fall to all fours, and then you come up to a sort of calf crusher ride. This is also pretty much the only DLR attack I use nogi.

My vague understanding of its legality is that it's legal as long as you are not hooking the far leg so that your opponent can't turn. Why that is supposed to make a difference is anyone's guess, since turning is not what relieves the pressure -- falling down is, but the IBJFF's indifference to sensible leglock rules continues. Really it's kind of a kneebar/calf crusher sweep, it's not a twisting leglock. I woudn't be surprised if you get DQ'd for a gable underhook from DLR though except where you are a top black belt competitor.

OK guys, I have had some clarification directly from the IBJJF on this matter.:

The restriction is about the torque on the knee, and not a grip related. The picture shows an example of a torsion when one of the athletes are twisting the leg to try a submission or to get a better position.

Back