Usman legendary title reign ?

When one fighter accounts for half of your title wins, that doesn't make your reign "superb" no matter how good the guy is (and Max is pretty darn good). It may be a good reign. It may be an impressive reign. But "superb" should be reserved for only the best reigns, and Volkanovski's simply isn't among them.
I've already stated that his reign is the second best of the last decade are you disagreeing?

Is Beating Masvidal x2 , Covington x2 and Gilbert Burns a legendary title reign? Dana has recently praised Usman and mentioned he started beating guys twice …..I feel it says more about the state of the Ww division…..Not like he had 10 title defense…..especially when 2 are Masvidal and 2 are criminally overrated Covington……what am I missing ?
USMAN is not done yet, is he?

I can't blame Usman for the shit of his title reign, the Masvidal fight was atrocious to begin with but the rematch was a pathetic booking. I don't think Usman booked the fight, he just showed up and dominated a journeyman twice, that was his job.

Really though unless he (5 defenses, 6-2 in title fights) had matched # of defenses of someone like a Hughes (who I think defended 8 times), or GSP (9 defenses, 2 time champ at 170, and 185 champ, 13-1 in title fights) there is no point comparing them.

Comparing strength of schedule is more for peers, people who have defended near the same amount, that's when it gets really interesting. Usman isn't a peer to GSP if you're talking about legendary status.

USMAN is not done yet, is he?
I mean he's lost twice in a row to the champ and badly so in the last fight, so I'm not really expecting a giant resurgence from a guy with horrible knees who is about to be 37 and on a 3 fight and working toward a 3 year losing streak.

Beast of a WW in his prime

His wins aren’t aging well but that’s who he faced. Would have beaten anybody they put in front of him during that time

Dan Hardy was a better win than Jorge twice.
100% right on that.

Dan might be a soft win in retrospect, but at least he was on a 7 fight win streak, was 9-1 in 10 fights, was 4-0 in the UFC, and fought an official "title eliminator" fight against a surging 9-1 (in the UFC) Mike Swick at the time to earn it.

Masvidal came in off a few highlights for sure, but he won 3 fights in a row, had lost 2 in a row before that, was 6-4 over 10 fights, hadn't won 4 fights in a row since 2008, had already lost 13 times, and really never accomplished anything, ever, aside from winning the BMF title.

For his first title shot vs Usman, Masvidal absolutely came in and saved the day. Complete props to him no matter how shitty of a contender he was. He was however a worse defense than Hardy, and to do it twice was a total waste of time and lowers the strength of schedule for Usman at the top significantly.

Dan Hardy was a better win than Jorge twice.
100% right on that.

Dan might be a soft win in retrospect, but at least he was on a 7 fight win streak, was 9-1 in 10 fights, was 4-0 in the UFC, and fought an official "title eliminator" fight against a surging 9-1 (in the UFC) Mike Swick at the time to earn it.

Masvidal came in off a few highlights for sure, but he won 3 fights in a row, had lost 2 in a row before that, was 6-4 over 10 fights, hadn't won 4 fights in a row since 2008, had already lost 13 times, and really never accomplished anything, ever, aside from winning the BMF title.

For his first title shot vs Usman, Masvidal absolutely came in and saved the day. Complete props to him no matter how shitty of a contender he was. He was however a worse defense than Hardy, and to do it twice was a total waste of time and lowers the strength of schedule for Usman at the top significantly.

> Up to 4 different fighters got a UFC tittle shot off a win over Masvidal, apart from a competitive tittle fight with prime Melendez in Strikeforce. Not a single fighter ever got a tittle shot off a win over Hardy

> Hardy's best wins to get the tittle shot were a SD with Marcus Davis and a decision over Swick. Masvidal got wins over higher ranked fighters without judges involved.

> Masvidal is a more skilled striker, grappler and just all-around a better fighter than Hardy was for any fight fan with functional brain and eyes. Absolutely nobody in the MMA community would dispute that except maybe Colby Covington.

Keep parroting shertard clichés, or better than, get another hobby.

It wasnt a legendary title reign but his overall resume (winning the title, wins before he was champ etc etc) is an ATG one.

If you have to ask,the answer is no.

People give Usman shit then compare it to GSP or Hughes, as if they are better but skip over the differences.
GSP got a title shot his 3rd fight in the UFC, the same year he joined.
Hughes was in/out of the UFC before sticking with them, but went 2-1 between fighting for other orgs, and got a title immediately when he committed to joining UFC.

Usman had to beat 2 guys in the Ultimate fighter and also had to win 9 fights inside the UFC, including the TUF finale. Then you had GSP fighting 3x 1st year, 4x the next one. The UFC or fighters don't seem to get to do that as often. Even Matt Hughes fought nearly 4x his first year in the UFC.

It's insane to me he had to beat Edwards, Maia, Strickland, and RDA, plus a few lesser names to earn his title shot.

If we count TUF, Usman got his title his 12th fight for the UFC.

GSP's 12th fight, he lost the title to Hughes, won it from Hughes, and got revenge on Serra. He defended the WW title 9x after that and won a MW title. Keep in mind how young GSP was when he joined UFC, but even still he lost to Serra/Hughes before his 12th fight.

Hughes' 12th UFC fight, he lost the title to BJ and lost the next title shot to GSP already. Hughes lost to Hallman and BJ before his 12th fight.

Usman is 36 and lost 3x in a row to Khamzat and Edwards. I think there is an argument that he actually is on their levels, but just never got the same chances.
There is no argument and if he had the same chances, he'd have more losses

I can't blame Usman for the shit of his title reign, the Masvidal fight was atrocious to begin with but the rematch was a pathetic booking. I don't think Usman booked the fight, he just showed up and dominated a journeyman twice, that was his job.

Really though unless he (5 defenses, 6-2 in title fights) had matched # of defenses of someone like a Hughes (who I think defended 8 times), or GSP (9 defenses, 2 time champ at 170, and 185 champ, 13-1 in title fights) there is no point comparing them.

Comparing strength of schedule is more for peers, people who have defended near the same amount, that's when it gets really interesting. Usman isn't a peer to GSP if you're talking about legendary status.
Yes we can blame him because he asked for and wanted that fight.

Is Beating Masvidal x2 , Covington x2 and Gilbert Burns a legendary title reign? Dana has recently praised Usman and mentioned he started beating guys twice …..I feel it says more about the state of the Ww division…..Not like he had 10 title defense…..especially when 2 are Masvidal and 2 are criminally overrated Covington……what am I missing ?
colby was legit great in his heyday. just because he's a keyboard warrior now doesn't delegitmize his prime. also usman had some great pre-title wins (strickland, woodley, maia, RDA, and leon the first time). there was something mystical about the woodley through usman era, even though the cast of fighters in WW are top tier across the board, it just misses that flare that it once had. it is maybe because shavkat, leon and belaal lack charisma as the "faces" of the division.

i'd definetely put usman above hughes. games evolved so much since his time. also hughes was victim to one of the biggest upsets in mma history.

i'd definetely put usman above hughes. games evolved so much since his time. also hughes was victim to one of the biggest upsets in mma history.
And more important, UFC was not the #1 org in the world when Hughes was champ, unlike in Usman's era

he’s definitely a Legend no doubt about it I thought he won the Edward’s rematch and he just whooped Khamzat on like a week notice

Usman is the former UFC Welterweight World Champion (with 5 title defences). In my opinion, Usman is an assassin that's underrated.

Covington captured the INTERIM UFC Welterweight Championship. In my opinion, Covington is an assassin that's underrated.

When Masvidal was inside the UFC, he captured the UFC BMF Championship. When he was outside the UFC, he captured the AFC Welterweight Championship. In my opinion, Masvidal is an assassin that's underrated.

When Dan Hardy was still having MMA fights, he had a chance to capture the UFC Welterweight World Championship. In my opinion, Dan Hardy is an assassin that's underrated.

Usman is 1-0 against Woodley.

Woodley is the former UFC Welterweight World Champion (with 4 title defences). All of Woodley's title defences occurred before Usman's era.

Edwards is currently the UFC Welterweight World Champion (with 2 title defences). It seems to me that folks are forgetting that Usman's era wasn't that long ago.

Edwards is 2-1 against Usman. If any regular person asked Edwards (and the regular person said that everything is off the record) about his series of MMA fights against Usman, I'm rather certain that Edwards would say that he had extremely competitive MMA fights against Usman.

At this point, I have to think that Edwards knows how amazing Usman is.

Reactions: Gio
Back