Valentina Shevchenko Blames Split Draw on Mexican Independence Day ‘Pressure’

It wasn't actually in Mexico, bro. It was in Vegas haha. Neither girl was the hometown hero.

I got confused as well what with all the mexico themed branding and stuff they did. If you're going to go to all that effort, why the heck would you not just do the card in actual Mexico? They flew out to mexico and set an octagon up in the middle of some mexican farm fields even.

Yeah, that seems like something Dana and co. would do lol

It wasn't actually in Mexico, bro. It was in Vegas haha. Neither girl was the hometown hero.

I got confused as well what with all the mexico themed branding and stuff they did. If you're going to go to all that effort, why the heck would you not just do the card in actual Mexico? They flew out to mexico and set an octagon up in the middle of some mexican farm fields even.

It was Mexican Independence Day

You could tell Val doesnt want it the same anymore.
Now she just cries and acts entitled.
Also her game regressed.

And when they rematch they stitch it back together???? I think that idea is crazy enough to work!

I just think they didn't want to give a Mexican-themed belt to a non-Mexican, so Mike Bell handed in a shady scorecard.

View attachment 1002196

Alexa Grasso made her first flyweight title defense against Valentina Shevchenko in the main event at Noche UFC on Saturday. “Bullet” looked to regain the title she’d lost to the Mexican in a huge upset at UFC 285 earlier this year.

Both fighters went toe-to-toe from the opening bell, with Shevchenko likely edging out the first round with some leg kicks and control time against the fence. Nevertheless, Grasso bounced back strong in the second frame, dropping Shevchenko with a huge right hand. However, the former champ managed to control incoming damage by landing an immediate takedown and spending the rest of the round in control.

Shevchenko’s grappling dominance was also the story of the third round, although Grasso displayed impressive nerves in fighting through a guillotine. The fourth frame was extremely close as “Bullet” failed to control Grasso on the ground while the Mexican unleashed a flurry of knees during a frantic exchange.

Although Shevchenko was seemingly leading in the final frame, she lost her grip during a tie-up and ended up giving her back. Grasso spent the rest of the round trying to sink in a rear-naked choke.

In the end, Alexa Grasso retained her flyweight title with the fight being scored a majority draw. While Sal D’Amato gave it to Shevchenko, Junichiro Kamijo had Grasso winning and Mike Bell scored it a draw with a 10-8 fifth round in favor of the reigning champion.

During her post-fight Octagon interview, Valentina Shevchenko declared she had done enough to regain her title and blamed the decision on the potential pressure felt by the judges due to the event being held on Mexican Independence Day.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/V...w-on-Mexican-Independence-Day-Pressure-191070

I think she might be right.

The only inexplicable thing was the 10-8 round three that Mike Bell scored.

Otherwise, Valentina would have won the title, right or wrong.

But what's way worse than Valentina getting a decision should probably didn't actually deserve is that 10-8.

There's no genuine logical explanation for it.

I honestly think Bell shat his pants and 'fixed' his scorecard, and should be fired for doing so.

Saltchenko should be happy she got the draw. I had Alexa winning rounds 2, 4 and 5 although not getting a 10-8 round in the 5th.
Thats the problem though a 48-47 is justifiable even though i gave Val the 4th, but the fact that Bell gave Val the 4th then Grasso the 10-8 5th to supply a draw is fucking nuts.

I just think they didn't want to give a Mexican-themed belt to a non-Mexican, so Mike Bell handed in a shady scorecard.
70wdwf.gif

It does look sweet though

r1224593_1296x729_16-9.jpg

I mean she’s got a point.
The UFC is moving towards sports entertainment everyday, hell they just got in bed with pro-wrestling. The UFC/WME/TKO is also owned by Disney, who is notorious for a controlling agenda. It’s naïve to think that doesn’t have any effect on ground level orgs like the UFC.
Last night they built an entire event around Mexican Independence Day, with a Mexican belt featuring their only Mexican champion, do you think the cards weren’t stacked for the champion?…optics alone you could tell who they wanted to win.

All of that already and that’s not even going into what happened in the fight.

Thats the problem though a 48-47 is justifiable even though i gave Val the 4th, but the fact that Bell gave Val the 4th then Grasso the 10-8 5th to supply a draw is fucking nuts.
I agree. Unfortunately MMA judging has always been atrocious and it always will be IMO.

Back