Very happy to see the Heavyweight division moving forward (congrats Stipe)

1stRoundMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Contrary to the narrative that the HW division is going backwards instead of forwards according to people on Sherdog. Stipe proved last night that you can't become the HW champ without being well rounded, and if you do, you won't be defending for long. That was one of the most one sided performances ever at HW by Stipe. It takes a real mixed martial arts background to be competitive at the highest level of HW. The older more experienced guys will continue to flourish in this division grace to their fighting experience, well rounded abilities and fight IQ. You saw a professor take the student to town last night. MMA isn't just about raw power, there are many levels to this game.

Stipe outstruck Francis 200-33! And out struck him in the 4th 82 strikes to 0. That is outrageous. Not only that, Stipe had an amazing gameplan, and easily took Ngannou down at will, even landed 2 TDs in round 1. Not sure why people think this fight was boring, you just witnessed a real mixed martial artist shutdown a very green fighter in Francis Ngannou.

The gameplan to beat Francis was already laid out since his very first fight with Luis Henrique where he got taken down and looked helpless until the ref stood them up. I thought he would have improved his ground game a bit, but there wasn't ever enough time for him to improve from the bottom in preparation for Stipe. Also interesting to note that Stipe lit Francis up standing with nice crisp boxing, and Stipes head movement was incredible the entire fight.

Congratulations Stipe. As for Ngannou, I think he should maybe switch up his camp and bring in some people who can help him with his TDD and bottom game. I think he can still be successful at HW, and with the right people surrounding him can perhaps make another run at a title down the line, but for right now the Cain, Werdum and Stipe types will continue to maul him until he rounds out his skills.

I hope the UFC hype machine gets behind Stipe before his fight with Cain, can't wait to see it. It is going to be epic.

Francis Ngannou fighting for the championship with an extremely underdeveloped skillset does in fact prove that the HW division is moving backwards.

Just sayin'

Rampage vs Ngnaau next. Book it

Stipe fought a good fight but it was such a hyped up Ngannou.
Dude was done after the 1st round. Even when he caught Stipe, it just takedown and control.
HW Division feels super shallow when a dude with a super limited headhunting skillset gets a shot at the title.

Heavyweight division is filled with gatekeepers

Francis Ngannou fighting for the championship with an extremely underdeveloped skillset does in fact prove that the HW division is moving backwards.

Just sayin'
Not at all. He earned that title shot by beating a shot Arlovski, and KOing Reem who came out with a terrible gameplan. Ngannou only fought 2 top 10 guys (might of even been 1, not sure Blaydes or Arlovski were even in the top 10 when they fought him) on his way to the title shot. Stipe (relativity new to the division) put a beating on him, and everyone else in the top 10. If Ngannou fought Hunt, Cain, JDS, Lewis, Werdum or Volkov I don't think you would have seen him fighting for the title so soon. If Reem fought to his abilities and actually came in with a well thought out gameplan, you wouldnt have seen that fight last night. Ngannou earned his shot, but he wasn't the real #1 contender.

I’m glad that Stipe also fights regularly, when Cain was champion we were lucky if he fought once every other year.

Not at all. He earned that title shot by beating a shot Arlovski, and KOing Reem
Arlovski and Overeem have been knocked out a combined 21 times between them.
They've been knocked out more times than Stipe has total fights.

Stipe is by far the baddest man on the planet

If I were incharge of Francis I would show him a treadmill and say fuck weights this is the only equipment you will use in this gym all year

Contrary to the narrative that the HW division is going backwards instead of forwards according to people on Sherdog. Stipe proved last night that you can't become the HW champ without being well rounded, and if you do, you won't be defending for long. That was one of the most one sided performances ever at HW by Stipe. It takes a real mixed martial arts background to be competitive at the highest level of HW. The older more experienced guys will continue to flourish in this division grace to their fighting experience, well rounded abilities and fight IQ. You saw a professor take the student to town last night. MMA isn't just about raw power, there are many levels to this game.

Stipe outstruck Francis 200-33! And out struck him in the 4th 82 strikes to 0. That is outrageous. Not only that, Stipe had an amazing gameplan, and easily took Ngannou down at will, even landed 2 TDs in round 1. Not sure why people think this fight was boring, you just witnessed a real mixed martial artist shutdown a very green fighter in Francis Ngannou.

The gameplan to beat Francis was already laid out since his very first fight with Luis Henrique where he got taken down and looked helpless until the ref stood them up. I thought he would have improved his ground game a bit, but there wasn't ever enough time for him to improve from the bottom in preparation for Stipe. Also interesting to note that Stipe lit Francis up standing with nice crisp boxing, and Stipes head movement was incredible the entire fight.

Congratulations Stipe. As for Ngannou, I think he should maybe switch up his camp and bring in some people who can help him with his TDD and bottom game. I think he can still be successful at HW, and with the right people surrounding him can perhaps make another run at a title down the line, but for right now the Cain, Werdum and Stipe types will continue to maul him until he rounds out his skills.

I hope the UFC hype machine gets behind Stipe before his fight with Cain, can't wait to see it. It is going to be epic.
I don't think that fight was as one sided as you think. In terms of skill set everyone already knew the fact wasn't interesting in that fact. Stipe was hurt a lot in that fight. i am glad the champ didn't get hit with those follow up shots.

I think once stipe watches the fight he'll mostly inprove his head movement a lot more.

If I were incharge of Francis I would show him a treadmill and say fuck weights this is the only equipment you will use in this gym all year
then he would lose every fight. he can fight the way he like just go to the body mix in leg and body kicks and for the love of god at least get some white belt ground skills.

I don't think that fight was as one sided as you think. In terms of skill set everyone already knew the fact wasn't interesting in that fact. Stipe was hurt a lot in that fight. i am glad the champ didn't get hit with those follow up shots.

I think once stipe watches the fight he'll mostly inprove his head movement a lot more.
Haha what? Not as one sided as TS thinks? It was one of the most one sided fights I have ever seen in my 15+ years of watching MMA. Stipe outstruck ngannou 80+ strikes to zero in rd 4. I just burst out laughing at your post. How do you post something so unbelievably stupid and try to act serious? Lmao

Haha what? Not as one sided as TS thinks? It was one of the most one sided fights I have ever seen in my 15+ years of watching MMA. Stipe outstruck ngannou 80+ strikes to zero in rd 4. I just burst out laughing at your post. How do you post something so unbelievably stupid and try to act serious? Lmao
Well in the 4th one fighter was completely exhausted and the other wasn't

Well in the 4th one fighter was completely exhausted and the other wasn't
Great observation LOL...

Now youre agreeing it was one sided. Fights usually end up one sided because the other person is tired, or less skilled. Just stop man. I know you fell for the Ngannou hype train but just take the loss like a regular person.

"Not as one sided as you think" LOL

"Its cause he was tired "

Yeah thats why fights end up being so one sided.

Back