VERY new..any help?

OP's going to get excited when he see's his thread is over 100 deep. I just saw this thread, and when I noticed how long it was I thought for sure it was just another shitty necro.... then I saw "I'm a certified blah blah blah"... now I have butter and salt on my keyboard.

OP add me to the eat more, lift heavy camp.

I would think "effective muscle" means he has a desire to get stronger.

Yes I got stronger. I also implied that I could have/would have gotten a lot stronger had I trained smart. Also, I was not your average 16-17 year old kid. I weighed over 200 lbs my sophomore year and pulled 430. I also "squatted" 540, but it was really a half squat cause that was fine with the HS coaches, they just wanted to say they had linemen squatting 500+, not caring whether it was a real lift.

Had I known how to train properly I might have been able to squat 500+ for real and been a strong SOB by now.

lol.... do you honestly think a MAN weighing 140lbs needs an "advanced" weight lifting routine. he most likely will benefit with basic movements, excercises that teach him the proper form, helps build the muscles that stabilize and balance the weight, increases core strength and aloows him to lift without hurting himself or someone near him. it is very likely such an untrained beginner weighing 140 lbs will arch his back,pick his feet of the mat, bounce the weight off his chest, elbows shaking, wrist not supporting the weight and injure himself and pride and probably ending all desires to get bigger, thus quiting.

OP's going to get excited when he see's his thread is over 100 deep.

yeah but hes gonna be pretty disappointed when he reads it and 90% of it has nothing to do with him :)

lol.... do you honestly think a MAN weighing 140lbs needs an "advanced" weight lifting routine. he most likely will benefit with basic movements, excercises that teach him the proper form, helps build the muscles that stabilize and balance the weight, increases core strength and aloows him to lift without hurting himself or someone near him. it is very likely such an untrained beginner weighing 140 lbs will arch his back,pick his feet of the mat, bounce the weight off his chest, elbows shaking, wrist not supporting the weight and injure himself and pride and probably ending all desires to get bigger, thus quiting.

Or he could just get Starting Strength 2nd Ed. and learn how to lift properly.

Where did I say anything about an advanced weight routine. If anything, that GVT is a more advanced routine. I'm talking Starting Strength. It's a very appropriately titled book. It's very highly recommended on these boards for a reason. You tell someone to go ahead with the improper form using light weight and do 100 reps or so per training day and you are getting that improper form ingrained in them to the point where it will be very difficult to break them of those habits. It's better to get someone who wants to get strong doing heavy weights with proper form as quickly as possible.

Basic movements = squat, deadlift, bench. Not 150 reps of shoulder press. And the best way to strengthen stabilizers and the core is with heavy weight, not ENDURANCE TRAINING. By the way, you're supposed to arch your back when you bench, numbnuts.

And whether you're doing 3 reps or 150, form is going to degrade when you get tired, if you let it. Keeping good form until the end is important for everyone, and is certainly easier when you only have to focus on a few good reps.

I can't help but wonder whether Mike is allowing this thread to live because we're actually managing to remain semi-civilized and try to explain things or if he's just bored and need some good comedy.

Basic movements = squat, deadlift, bench. Not 150 reps of shoulder press. And the best way to strengthen stabilizers and the core is with heavy weight, not ENDURANCE TRAINING. By the way, you're supposed to arch your back when you bench, numbnuts.

OMG..."arching" your back is proper technique? were not talking about a power lifter in a competition.i guess bouncing the curl bar off your pelvis,ARCHING your back and swinging the weight up is proper too,huh? do you wonder why when your doing 30-45%, for example, of your max that you can lower the weight nice and slow, smooth, pause and then return to the starting position while keeping your feet planted and without having to arch your back? it has to do with core strength. it isnt until you get higher and higher in your weight that your back starts to arch and you flex your calves, lifting the heels off the floor, ever wonder why that is? many would agree that the weight is too heavy and he is trying everything to "will" the weight up.besides making it easier, how would arching a very new lifter's back benefit him? power lifting competitions are much different than a newb beginning in a gym

OMG..."arching" your back is proper technique? were not talking about a power lifter in a competition.i guess bouncing the curl bar off your pelvis,ARCHING your back and swinging the weight up is proper too,huh? do you wonder why when your doing 30-45%, for example, of your max that you can lower the weight nice and slow, smooth, pause and then return to the starting position while keeping your feet planted and without having to arch your back? it has to do with core strength. it isnt until you get higher and higher in your weight that your back starts to arch and you flex your calves, lifting the heels off the floor, ever wonder why that is? many would agree that the weight is too heavy and he is trying everything to "will" the weight up.besides making it easier, how would arching a very new lifter's back benefit him? power lifting competitions are much different than a newb beginning in a gym

Now you're back in statisticool mode. I'm too tired to argue proper form with someone like that tonight. Maybe if you haven't been banned by morning I'll get back to you on that stupid comment you just made

Now you're back in statisticool mode. I'm too tired to argue proper form with someone like that tonight. Maybe if you haven't been banned by morning I'll get back to you on that stupid comment you just made

Quitter.

to be fair, he could be honest and have good intentions, but SRSLY, and i mean SRSLY misguided.

i must be way off...but i dont know what statisticool mode is...if you mean using numbers and %s then i must not have explained it well enough,sorry... should your back arch when bench pressing, yes..to a degree that your actually hyper-flexing your lower back, no....when lifting weight that you can manage you dont create momentum to force the weight...if youre lifting more weight than you can handle, either do to being tired, wornout,or not being strong enough, you'll see people arching their backs, raising hips off the bench,raising the shoulders and leaning forward to lower the ez curl bar on a preacher curl, bounce the bar,and even wiggle it up. proper form goes right out the window either due to too much weight, or just being exhausted

i did to be honest, have a buddy in the marines, who was a power lifter. he always arched his back during his lifts. he said his coach would put a box, didnt say what kind or how big and i didnt ask, under their lower backs in practice. he said it helped expand the rib cage...thought it sounded crazy but he was putting up some serious pounds so i just went with it. i can see that in power lifting competitions that being proper or allowed but for a very new guy weighing 140 lbs looking to gain some size i would not recommend it

sigh man. seriously. do some research, read some of the books that are recommended here. read literature from actual trainers, scientists, and people who have walked the walk for decades. not a bunch of pencil pushing sissies who hide behind their degrees and certifications and think their knowledge is greater than decades of experience. are you oblivious to the fact that everyone on this board is against you? Do you know why? because you remind me of the bullshit fitness magazines and misguided information littered throughout the fitness industry that you claim that sherdoggers are. I'm going into exercise science at my college myself, and I pray that they don't teach me a bunch of bullshit. This is the very reason I decided not to get into the nutrition field because colleges are behind in the times and it would probably just piss me off listening to bullshit all day long.

same goes for OP. do some damn research and read some books

This pretty much sums it all up. This noob is great.

do some research, read some of the books that are recommended here. read literature from actual trainers, scientists, and people who have walked the walk for decades

from actual trainers...like the 24 HOUR PERSONAL TRAINING MANUAL?..or how about the INTEGRATED PROGRAM DESIGN FOR PERSONAL TRAINER book by m. clark,r. corn and l. paracino?...maybe i should look into ACSM'S HEALTH AND FITNESS CERTIFICATION REVIEW book. maybe my physiology book by the princeton review would help me, you think? it WAS written by Ph.D.s kenneth and kathleen axen. but then again, they may be "hiding behind their degress". all the books i have, read and studied are written by "actual" trainers,scientist, doctors and by people who have "walked the walk"

not a bunch of pencil pushing sissies who hide behind their degrees and certifications and think their knowledge is greater than decades of experience.

so these scientist and trainers you speak of, how did they become such scientist and trainers? i may be mistaken ,but scientist do need degrees and trainers need certifications. many many proffessional trainers of athletes have degrees and multiple certifications from accredited orgs. over 90% of the nba trainers are ACSM trained. but maybe they all got together and decided to waste time on that bogus, useless, outdated science.

I'm going into exercise science at my college myself, and I pray that they don't teach me a bunch of bullshit.

what kind of bs...like the progressive overload? that false science? checkout Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. the progressive overload piece by chris goulet. if that doesnt help you then iForce Nutrition & Sports Supplements may be helpful. both explain my entire argument...along with the need to understand the law of thermodynamics. but i can understand if this is too much to for you to grasp."gym science" is hard to break, ive been there.

This is the very reason I decided not to get into the nutrition field because colleges are behind in the times and it would probably just piss me off listening to bullshit all day long.

yes they are...it is common knowledge amongst the ones not in school that universities and colleges are way behind the times in terms of research and education. that whole, LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS is completely useless in today's world.

I can't help but wonder whether Mike is allowing this thread to live because we're actually managing to remain semi-civilized and try to explain things or if he's just bored and need some good comedy.

The latter :D

Personally, I just think it's sad. This guy seems deeply invested in his silliness, and there's no way any of us are going to change that, or stop him from continuing to propagate bad information if he feels like it.

This thread is still alive? It's a waste of resources. The smart people posting here could be put to better use doing shit other than this.

That's the first time I've ever seen bb.com AND the law of thermodynamics referenced in the same post.

Which law anyway? There are generally four, and I don't understand any of them. And I don't know how a person with a mail-order fitness badge is applying these laws at planet fatness or where it is he works.

NoSweatkennels sounds like he gets his personal training info from infomercials that are selling exercises equipment.....

Perfect Push-up gets you to be the size of Arnold!!

Go turn up your ab belt maybe you'll explode.

Back