[video] Craig Jones vs Tim Spriggs from this weekend

The calf slicer as your opponent turns and clears the knee actually happened in the UFC previously.

Ita not a move I've ever drilled, but I've been able to hit it a few times in sparring opportunistically

Anyone know what the exchange was about at the 3:00 mark after Spriggs escaped the Kimora attempt? Right at 3:20, Jones makes a hands gesture like “calm down” where he put both his palms facing down and almost motions it up and down. Then he gives a thumbs up to someone to his left.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I figured out what I was doing wrong with my first question. For me personally, I can't push their hand into their stomach as you and Giles suggest. It was still a struggle for me to get the sweep. I was also still getting armbarred as people were still able to stand up to clear enough space for their legs to get thru for the armbar.

I have to really exaggerate putting the hand I have kimura'd into their far side pocket. I'm basically doing an arm drag with the kimura grip, with their arm forming a diagonal across their body from their shoulder at one end and their hand on their opposite hip. I'll keep playing it.

2. Could I perhaps trouble you to provide video of what you're talking about - both Craig Jones' set up and your knee slice counter?

The step over toehold/hugging calf slicer is an OG counter to someone trying to escape a leg entanglement by the running man (ie, turning and standing or standing and turning). You can even skip the whole 'escape counter' part and just go strait into it from the OG ashigarami reversal (ie, reaping the leg over while kicking the other out to knock them down).

You can see an example here by Felipe Pena at ACB 9

(0:40)

The step over toehold/hugging calf slicer is an OG counter to someone trying to escape a leg entanglement by the running man (ie, turning and standing or standing and turning). You can even skip the whole 'escape counter' part and just go strait into it from the OG ashigarami reversal (ie, reaping the leg over while kicking the other out to knock them down).

You can see an example here by Felipe Pena at ACB 9

(0:40)

thanks for this.

Man. Spriggs left his leg out for a quick second and got it snagged. Jones is a straight submission hunter. I admire his style.

Back