[VIDEO] My first purple belt tournament

beeran1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Got my purple a few months ago and competed in the BJJ Super Cup tourney in Colorado Springs this past weekend. The divisions were pretty small, so I only had two matches in no gi (both against my own teammate...my first opponent in the division didn't show up) and two in gi. Suppose that's what I get for doing the master's division, although adult wasn't much bigger. Here are the gi matches, critiques welcome.

1st match:

2nd match:

Despite winning my matches, I felt a little floaty out there. I blame the gnarly pre-comp butterflies.

Side note - I would highly recommend this tournament to anyone in the area. Very well-run. They should have combined some of the divisions, but that's my only complaint.

Good stuff man. I also just competed in my first tourney as a purple, also in the masters division, and had a very similar experience as far as small brackets and the like. One thing I will say was that I felt like I won both of my matches on technique. I don't know if people just stop being so damn nuts at purple belt or if it was the bump up to the masters division but it was the best comp experience I have had yet.

I didn't know black-eyes and bruises all over my legs were not pre-reqs for grappling comps until now...

Wish I had made it, seems like there were a lot of good matches.

Good stuff!

Good stuff man. I also just competed in my first tourney as a purple, also in the masters division, and had a very similar experience as far as small brackets and the like. One thing I will say was that I felt like I won both of my matches on technique. I don't know if people just stop being so damn nuts at purple belt or if it was the bump up to the masters division but it was the best comp experience I have had yet.

I didn't know black-eyes and bruises all over my legs were not pre-reqs for grappling comps until now...

My matches were decidedly less violent than those of my blue/white belt career. No injuries whatsoever.

That ankle pick at the beginning of your second vid was slick.

Well done man! Wasn't sure if that triangle was locked in or not and then your foot came off, good perseverance.

Well done man! Wasn't sure if that triangle was locked in or not and then your foot came off, good perseverance.

Yeah, the guy was pretty broad and I couldn't quite get it locked over my shin (as opposed to my foot). Guess it was tight enough though. If anyone has any critiques, I would love to hear them. The matches definitely weren't perfect.

Back