Visiting Tokyo

TheRNC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm visiting Tokyo for the next 10 days. I'm a black belt, just looking to do a little no gi training. I'm staying in Shinagawa, but willing to take the train around if it means some better training. English-friendly would be preferred as my Japanese doesn't extend beyond about a dozen words lol. I saw Paraestra has a couple no-gi classes, but unfortunately doesn't fit in my schedule. Thanks for the help!

R u free Noon or 4? for no gi at Pro fighter training,
Can u do MMA?
How big are you? whom is your BB under?
PM me or find me on Facebook.
I am in Shinjuku

R u free Noon or 4? for no gi at Pro fighter training,
Can u do MMA?
How big are you? whom is your BB under?
PM me or find me on Facebook.
I am in Shinjuku

This right here. If you are in the neighbourhood and DON'T take the chance to train with the Dan-Dan the Wolfman-Man, then you should leave Sherdog in disgrace.

I'm visiting Tokyo for the next 10 days. I'm a black belt, just looking to do a little no gi training. I'm staying in Shinagawa, but willing to take the train around if it means some better training. English-friendly would be preferred as my Japanese doesn't extend beyond about a dozen words lol. I saw Paraestra has a couple no-gi classes, but unfortunately doesn't fit in my schedule. Thanks for the help!

You should PM Calibur, he's the resident BJJ tourguide for Japan.

Unfortunately, over the years I've become so hermetic that I don't really keep up with the normal bjj community outside of the people I train with everyday in west WEST Tokyo.

I can't name any reliable nogi gyms right now, but the options for grappling have exploded since I've been here. Someone mentioned Carpe Diem which I've been to. A very hipster BJJ vibe. Very nice, but I don't know how popular it is for nogi.

I recommend Axis to everyone because of its central-ish location, and its English friendly environment. Again, I don't no about nogi.

If you know any specific gyms, throw them out and if I have extra information I'll try to keep you updated.

Are there gyms that I could rent/borrow a gi? I really have no clue about this stuff and trying to search on an iPhone with limited wifi access isn't the easiest thing in the world haha. I'll contact axis and see what they say.

I'm sure you could. Calling ahead is good. If you do call Axis, see if you can talk to the actual instructor (Taka Watanabe is the owner) instead of the receptionist. They'll give you a better idea what to expect and your presence won't blind side them.

I'm sure they'd love to have another black belt on the mat.

Back