Volk talked nonstop about a rematch with Top at the post fight conference...(Never seen a fighter more adamant)

Give him a tune up fight. Or give him a fight for a top contender spot -- if he can't win that, he and the ufc should know he's probably not touching the belt again

man. tough situation. had that ominous feeling all week and especially during walk-outs that the countdown to volk getting ko'ed was on. and he got completely slept. tough to say he deserves a rematch off the MATCH, but off his LEGACY and track record, you can justify it i believe. but i dont think he gets the belt back unfort

Might deserve that as his next fight but not necessarily as Ilia's next fight. Volk should take 6 months off & maybe towards the end of the year the rematch will make sense.
Yeah I don't want to see him fight sooner tbh especially after coming back from getting KO'ed 2 times, turning 36 and having fought 4 times in the last year.

Toward the end of the year or early next year is fine.

Where are all of the Volk fans saying he was drinking again and only took 10 days to train for the fight seriously? Alex Ferguson-Volkanovski losing 3 of his last 4 is done. He absolutely gets no more shots at The LW strap until he beats a couple of top 5's which he can't . As far as a rematchs goes he looked so bad I think I have changed my mind about never wanting to see Max fight him again.

I’d like to see volk vs maybe Dan ige or josh Emmett before getting a rematch with ilia tuporia.

I think Volk should take some time off and maybe take another fight in the to see where he's at. If his chin really has been cracked by Islam and now Topuria, he'd know. Someone just outside the top 5 maybe.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s a competitive guy. But he should take a little time off first. I don’t know if Topuria needs to sit on the shelf for that long though.

If you can't survive 2 rounds you don't deserve a rematch.

He should take some time off and fight some easier opponents. Guy was strutting around the octagon calling himself the GOAT after finishing Zombie of all people. It was embarrassing. He needed a reality check badly, and he got one courtesy of the Spanish King.

Let him fight Evlolev or someone like that who won't scramble his eggs so easily.

If you can't survive 2 rounds you don't deserve a rematch.

He should take some time off and fight some easier opponents. Guy was strutting around the octagon calling himself the GOAT after finishing Zombie of all people. It was embarrassing. He needed a reality check badly, and he got one courtesy of the Spanish King.

Let him fight Evlolev or someone like that who won't scramble his eggs so easily.
Flash KOs and flukes happen. Dude literally was just knocked out 2 months ago. He wasn’t calling himself the goat just because he beat Zombie

He looked very fit and sharp for however long the fight latest, so that is a positive takeaway. That being said, Volk has never had an iron chin and he’s never fought a boxer-puncher like Topuria. No version of Volk beats Topuria, especially not this version coming off of 2 brutal KOs. If the rematch does happen He will get brutally KOd again. It’s just a bad stylistic match up for Volk. He should take some time off and let the division unfold a bit before making his next move.

His reign plus activity as champ inarguably cements him as someone who deserves an instant rematch in principle, but given the devastating nature of the loss, Volk should prob hang out for a bit which means Ilia would prob defend vs someone else, and basically all the top guys are fresh matchups for Ilia. Volk’s attitude as champ was different than the way Ilia’s been sounding, but hopefully he’s not a diva.

In the last week Ilia’s said: he wants to clean up the division and move it on, it’s time for the new generation to take over, I’ll fight who the UFC gives me, and also I don’t wanna give Max, Ortega, Yair, Evloev title shots, give me Conor McGregor.

Not sure how you can clean up the division while calling out Conor in 2024, so we’ll have to see what kind of champ he ends up being

Imagine him making the wrong decision by rushing for a rematch and losing again

Considering how dominant he was at 145lb and that he done the UFC a favor by stepping up on short notice to fight Islam, I think a rematch is fair. Not like there is anyone in the division who is the clear cut #1 contender anyway, Yair hasn't fought since losing to Volk, Holloway is fighting at LW who knows what happens after that fight, Ortega is always MIA, Josh Emmett probably has the best case and he's 1-2 and also just recently lost to the current title holder. Volk probably needs the time off though, he's been brutally finished twice in 6 months.

He has too. It means he would jump right back in the money fight with a chance to become champ again and make champ dough.

He's old and need to capitalize

Reactions: JSF
All these rematches are making these fights anticlimactic. Knowing there is literally no way volk could lose without getting a rematch going into this fight imo cheapens Ilia's win and makes these title defenses less meaningful. And what if volk wins the rematch, then they have an obligatory best out of three?
Might as well just make a champions clause. 'If a champ has 3 consecutive title defenses in their weight class, a new contender has to beat the champ twice in a row in order to face a new contender'.

Back