Volk was too strong for Islam

Izzysexboyfriend

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He wasn’t lying about that before the fight lol. I had Volk edging it, he was more active and aggressive than Islam. Holding on to a choke for the entire 5 mins of a round should not win you a fight. Volk got the better of the scrambles and dominated Islam in the clinch. At no point was Volk ever worried about being taken down or submitted, he even initiated the grappling many times.

Volk was too weak to win the fight though.

I wouldn't say "too strong", more like strong enough, and certainly stronger than Islam expected. Islam still took him down several times though, and was able to stop all of Volks takedown attempts.

In the post fight press conference Volk was clearly upset with himself for not taking control earlier and being hesitant, he realized too late that he was stronger and way more durable (both cardio and chin) than Islam, so should have been less careful and more aggressive.

IMO he can beat Islam more than Islam can beat him … in a rematch I’d favor him.

He’s certainly a beast for his size and should remain P4P number 1 in my opinion, noone beats him at 145 for a while.

Volk would’ve won if he didn’t fuck up in round 4
Also in round 1, he was winning and got over excited last 2 minutes of the round and let Islam win the round. He needed to secure rounds early so he wouldn't be put in a position where he needed to win the last 3 rounds or get a finish.

If Volk was an inch taller or if this fight was at catch weight, Volk would’ve win, pound for pound he is the better fighter.
His lack of height helped in the wrestling department giving him such a low centre of gravity and giving Islam less space to work with.

Also in round 1, he was winning and got over excited last 2 minutes of the round and let Islam win the round. He needed to secure rounds early so he wouldn't be put in a position where he needed to win the last 3 rounds or get a finish.
I agree, a few small tactical errors cost Volk the fight, but I honestly see him winning a rematch. Islam showed his cards in this fight and I don't see much he could change in rematch, while Volk with a few small technical adjustments could walk away with the win.

Volk is an animal but he knew he lost

Cmon

He needed another round

I agree, a few small tactical errors cost Volk the fight, but I honestly see him winning a rematch. Islam showed his cards in this fight and I don't see much he could change in rematch, while Volk with a few small technical adjustments could walk away with the win.

Islam outgrappled and outstruck Volk.

Volk is losing again if he only makes "small changes".

If Volk was an inch taller or if this fight was at catch weight, Volk would’ve win, pound for pound he is the better fighter.
I hate to break it to you, but pound for pound and inch for inch are not synonymous bud.
They were the exact same weight tonight... U know... "POUND for POUND"

I see a whole lot of "if's" on Sherdog tonight.

Well, he wasn't too strong when he couldn't get out of that body lock, but his endurance definitely showed in the 5th.

Back