Volkan Oezdemir shrunken head

Johnnny

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Oezdemir has an oddly-shaped head. Especially for MMA, where most fighters have big noggins, ranging from slightly above average all the way to Tito Ortiz-sized melonheads.

The lower half of most people's head is as wide or wider than their necks. The lower half of Oezdemir's head is significantly narrower than his neck, making that part of his head appear shrunken.

Having a big head seems to be an advantage in MMA, in that it allows the force of head strikes to be cushioned and absorbed by a larger surface area.

But could there be advantages to having a small head, too? Most one-punch KO's are the result of catching the chin with a torquing punch that the opponent is not expecting. Oezdemir has a very small chin, much more precision is required to hit a small target.

Having a jawbone that is significantly narrower than your neck would make it difficult to fall victim to a choke. But Kelly Anundson solved this problem by submitting Oezdemir which a neck crank instead of a RNC when he took his back.

volkan-oezdemir-300x232.png

561_Volkan_Oezdemir_vs_Jimi_Manuwa.0.jpg

20140403073413_5D3_7244.JPG

UFC-214-3.png

I think his head is perfect. But man, what a huge body

He needs to get on the Ngannou diet to get that Barry Bonds head

I think his neck is long which makes his head look smaller.

That massive body does not fit his skull type that's for sure. Based on Anthony Johnson saying he took his hard shots very well in sparring(I don't know if Volkan has shown a good chin in his fights) it would appear that he's an extreme outlier. We had a thread recently where it was discussed that fighters with good chins overwhelmingly have that neanderthal-like skull type.

By all accounts he has a great chin, too, which contradicts things previously thought to be indicators of a good chin.

It makes him look quite a bit taller than 6'1 lol.

20140403073413_5D3_7244.JPG

Wow that looks like a tall dude!

Back