Volume Punching v Pot Shots

I really wouldn't call Canelo a volume puncher. He punches extremely well in combination, but he's a methodical fighter. I definitely wouldn't call Holyfield a pot-shotter, either. Holyfield could do a lot of different things, but he was often quite aggressive, and put his punches together as well as any HW in history.
Kind of like Marquez with better defense, IMO.

Each style can beat the other, a lot of it depends on the physical attributes of the fighters.

For instance Khan will win vs a light hitting pot shot fighter but will lose to a pot shotter with big power.

And If Paul Williams had only been 5'8 he wouldn't of been so succesfull. Him being 6'2 with long ass arms added greatly to his success as a swarming volume puncher. Dude was a monster. Paul was a terrible matchup for Floyd by the way, & imo is a big reason why Floyd "retired" for a couple years after beating Hatton, biding his time until Paul moved up in weight.

Each style can beat the other, a lot of it depends on the physical attributes of the fighters.

For instance Khan will win vs a light hitting pot shot fighter but will lose to a pot shotter with big power.

And If Paul Williams had only been 5'8 he wouldn't of been so succesfull. Him being 6'2 with long ass arms added greatly to his success as a swarming volume puncher. Dude was a monster. Paul was a terrible matchup for Floyd by the way, & imo is a big reason why Floyd "retired" for a couple years after beating Hatton, biding his time until Paul moved up in weight.

Do you think Floyd ducked Khan for Maidana?

Lol depends on the fighter

Intriguing question though

I would say i generally think less of volume punchers (like say calzaghe) then a great pot shoter (like say jones)

But it also depends on the fighter. I think loma is excellent and hes more of a volume guy

Lol at floyd ducking paul williams. Seriously i am not even really a floyd fan but williams had l no concept of how to defend himself.

Floyd would likely pick him apart

Lol depends on the fighter

Intriguing question though

I would say i generally think less of volume punchers (like say calzaghe) then a great pot shoter (like say jones)

But it also depends on the fighter. I think loma is excellent and hes more of a volume guy

Would you say volume punching is more of an amateur style? Perhaps the fighters who use it couldn't or chose not to transition when moving to the pros?

Do you think pot shots are lazy as has been mentioned previously? I think that is an interesting take, almost like cherry picking shots when you're comfortable instead of driving the fight.

Thoughts?

Lol at floyd ducking paul williams. Seriously i am not even really a floyd fan but williams had l no concept of how to defend himself.

Floyd would likely pick him apart

a 6'2 guy with long ass arms who comes forward non stop throwing 80+ punches a round is a bad matchup for floyd anyway you slice it. Floyd might have won but it was a tough fight that he swerved imo.

Do you think Floyd ducked Khan for Maidana?
He clearly wanted nothing to do with Khan, i dont know if i'd say duck but he never had the desire to fight khan for whatever reason that's for sure.

a 6'2 guy with long ass arms who comes forward non stop throwing 80+ punches a round is a bad matchup for floyd anyway you slice it. Floyd might have won but it was a tough fight that he swerved imo.

Corrales (RIP) was a tall guy compared to Floyd. He wasn't 6'2 tall however. People will point to that fight for Floyd dominating a guy who has a height advantage. However, the height accompanied by the output I think would have given Floyd problems. Floyd got Corrales to chase him, picked shots when the distance was closed and was immediately off of his center line to keep the chase going. Williams would let his hands go more. I think Floyd would have lost---but that's just me speculating.

Last edited:
He clearly wanted nothing to do with Khan, i dont know if i'd say duck but he never had the desire to fight khan for whatever reason that's for sure.

Me and my friends debate this all the time. Khan is actually really good. He just has problems taking a shot on the chin. Not saying he doesn't have a chin, remember he beat Maidana and dropped him. The debate is whether Khan's movement and volume would be too much for Floyd to calculate the entire fight. Also, does Floyd have the power to stop Khan.

Me and my friends debate this all the time. Khan is actually really good. He just has problems taking a shot on the chin. Not saying he doesn't have a chin, remember he beat Maidana and dropped him. The debate is whether Khan's movement and volume would be too much for Floyd to calculate the entire fight. Also, does Floyd have the power to stop Khan.
I think Khan is too predictable. Yes his combos are lightening but as people lesser than Floyd have found you can time him either mid combo or as he finishes and catch him because his defence isn't there. Canelo did a brilliant example of timing him to throw the right and KO him brutally. Floyd would take most of Khans shots on his gloves and then counter him. I don't know if he could KO Khan but it is a possibility.

Do you think lara is better then floyd? I know lara lost quite possibly the worse decision of the last 20 yrs to williams but didnt he basically just pot shot him?

Also didn’t carlos quintana do the same?
Is quintana a better pot shotter than floyd?

Kind of like Marquez with better defense, IMO.

Yeah, I've made the Marquez comparison for years. They're not carbon copies (Marquez has better feet, better stamina, and more power relative to weight, I think), but there are real similarities.

Do you think lara is better then floyd? I know lara lost quite possibly the worse decision of the last 20 yrs to williams but didnt he basically just pot shot him?

Also didn’t carlos quintana do the same?
Is quintana a better pot shotter than floyd?

Lara's not better than Floyd but he isn't a natural 130 pounder like Floyd either. The Quintana fight was a bad performance but look what Paul did in the rematch.

Yeah, I've made the Marquez comparison for years. They're not carbon copies (Marquez has better feet, better stamina, and more power relative to weight, I think), but there are real similarities.
The way they counter in combination .

The problem I have always had with volume punchers is that they generally sacrifice defense to throw a bunch of meaningless shots. Bad judges like volume punchers, IMO. Obviously there are exceptions.

Would you count Ruben Olivares as a volume puncher? He wasn't like a Juan Diaz but he still threw a shitload of punches in a continuous barrage.

When I think of pot-shotters, three guys that come to mind are Floyd when he went up in weight, Roy Jones Jr., and an old Hopkins. I think of pot-shotters as fighters who like to mitigate danger and exploit an opponent's over-eagerness with well-placed single shots. All three men could fight in a variety of different ways (Floyd could fight extremely well behind an active jab and could throw great combinations when he wanted to; Roy could do pretty much whatever he wanted to in his prime, but tended to fall back on using his athleticism and staying on the outside while pot-shotting against his most dangerous opponents; towards the very end of his MW reign and throughout his LHW run, Hopkins' style became very defensive and goading his opponents into over-commiting, landing a well-timed right hand, and then smothering any work coming back), but when they wanted to fight safe, pot-shotting from the outside while taking minimal risk tended to be what they'd fall back on. I'd say that someone like Adonis Stevenson could probably be classed a pot-shotter, as well.

When I think volume puncher, guys like Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito, Joe Calzaghe, and, to name a current fighter, Jarret Hurd, come to mind (Calzaghe was more skilled than the rest, but he was still very much reliant on volume). Volume puncher is a pretty broad category which can encapsulate several different kinds of styles. Some guys are high-volume from the outside (guys like Khan, Usyk, or Santa Cruz would be good examples even though all three have distinct styles), whereas some guys are volume punchers who like to get inside (think guys like Armstrong, Qawi, Duran, or Frazier).
I found it interesting how calzaghe became more of a volume puncher as his career progressed.

Right now, I like Usyk and Loma as the best volume punchers.

Depends - if you're volume punching without much thought and there's no real point scoring shots then not only does it waste energy but it's totally pointless . Volume punching sensibly can completely wear an opponent down

Pot shotting is great again if every shot is a worthwhile shot

Both styles need to be used properly

I found it interesting how calzaghe became more of a volume puncher as his career progressed.
That was probably as much do with his damaged hands. He just couldn't land with the same type of power that he used to have. People tend to forget that he dropped Chris Eubank early in his career and that takes some serious power. He always had great stamina so he just upped his volume and turned down the power a notch. He still busted people up with his slapping punches though.

Back