Waist Twisting Disk for Judo/Grappling

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What do you guys think about this exercise?

Do you guys think it's good for judo or useless for anything?

I have one of these at home and did a brief exercise with it- hoping that it benefits me for judo.

I have one of these at home and did a brief exercise with it- hoping that it benefits me for judo.

lol that video looks like a dance tutorial for old guys with no rhythm.

<36>

Too funny with the music! Rotational training is a great thing for athletes. I don't think you really need to use that tool to develop good rotational strength. These are the different things I do as GPP for my strength program..

1. Hammer swings. Hit a big old tire with a big fucking sledgehammer. Do a bunch of times and do equal reps with both left and right handed stances.

2. Woodchoppers. I do these with a band, but you basically stand in place holding a band tied to a pole at chest height. Hold it straight out with locked arms and rotate bringing the band across the front of my chest. Do this by twisting the torso.

3. Medicine ball. Do various throws and catches from awkward angles. A lot of times to do this on a decline bench. Have a partner toss the ball to me at various places around my head. And then I have to toss it back to him. Basically making me feel the burn in my core and get good rotations with my tosses.

4. Hanging knee circles. Burn out sets to near failure.

But when it comes to power development with sports like boxing and judo the truth is.. technique is 80% power. If you want good throwing strength you should definitely be squatting and deadlifting with a general strength training program. From there though, most of your power is going to come from having textbook technique with proper leverages. So yes, get in the gym a few times a week and hit the squat, deadlift, bench, rows, and various lifts. But then spend even more time drilling your throws and movements. You should practice until you're sick of practicing, then do it longer. Make sure your feet are perfect. Make sure your hip placement is perfect. Make sure grip is perfect.

A big issue that I see all the time is people substituting technique with brute strength. Don't fall for that trap. If you get stupid strong then you can start bullshitting with your technique and still accomplish the throws but then you'll wind up gassing.

Back