Social War Room Lounge Thread #320 - Don't tell me what to do, you're not my dad. Wait, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First car was a 1981 buick le sabre LE 2 door, 305. Windows wide enough to swing a baseball bat.
Mine was a 79 Ford T-bird, 2 door as well with a 302, hood was half the length of an Olympic size swimming pool.
That van I had, the one I was telling you about a couple weeks ago when we were talking about camping, that was best to drive in winter.

Mine was a 79 Ford T-bird, 2 door as well with a 302, hood was half the length of an Olympic size swimming pool.
That van I had, the one I was telling you about a couple weeks ago when we were talking about camping, that was best to drive in winter.
My first car was a 1984 VH Commodore with a 173 Red motor. Drove it through the front wall of my local football club.
My second was a 1978 Toyota Corolla KE30 coupe, with a 1.2L 3K-C motor, which I believe had been used as a dog kennel and was amazingly indestructible.
After that I've only owned motorcycles.
My dream cars from my early teens were a 1974 Mazda RX3 Savanna GT coupe and a 1976 Ford Landau coupe. Be nice to try and get one now, but they are impossible to find unmodified and relatively clean examples are stupid money these days.

My first car was a 1984 VH Commodore with a 173 Red motor. Drove it through the front wall of my local football club.
My second was a 1978 Toyota Corolla KE30 coupe, with a 1.2L 3K-C motor, which I believe had been used as a dog kennel and was amazingly indestructible.
After that I've only owned motorcycles.
My dream cars from my early teens were a 1974 Mazda RX3 Savanna GT coupe and a 1976 Ford Landau coupe. Be nice to try and get one now, but they are impossible to find unmodified and relatively clean examples are stupid money these days.
I'd love to replace my 1983 honda civic 1500s hatchback that I once owned, good luck finding one. Like you said, anything 70's-80's in decent condition is waaaay up there in price.
Just curious, what year was it when you put down the car keys, would love to be able to do that but that's never happening in Canada.

I'd love to replace my 1983 honda civic 1500s hatchback that I once owned, good luck finding one. Like you said, anything 70's-80's in decent condition is waaaay up there in price.
Just curious, what year was it when you put down the car keys, would love to be able to do that but that's never happening in Canada.

Yeah, the nostalgia I have for the cars we hankered after and bought for around $5K as teenagers isn't worth $100K+ to me. Not least of all because I have a bike collection which I'm more into.

I switched to bikes when I was at Uni.
A friend left his Suzuki RGV250 in the garage for a couple of weeks, and from then on I was hooked. Bought an RZ250R YPVS from a wrecker and rebuilt it (switched the barrels and pistons to 350s to skirt our 250cc learner licencing resitrictions, along with power pipes and adjusting the jetting and oiling to suit).
Got the Corolla a year or so later because I had some complications from a crash that had me in plaster for 11 months. Would have been either '97 or '98 when I gave that to family and have barely driven at all since then.
I do borrow a car every 5 years or so (typically for moving or towing), just to make sure I can still drive. Preferably stick.
Even when I'm travelling I typically rent bikes (helps that it's usually through S E Asia).
I've never seen it snow, and there's no such thing as a "riding season" here, so aside from having heated grips and dailying a 1301cc V-Twin super naked now that I'm old, it's not really an issue.

Yeah, the nostalgia I have for the cars we hankered after and bought for around $5K as teenagers isn't worth $100K+ to me. Not least of all because I have a bike collection which I'm more into.

I switched to bikes when I was at Uni.
A friend left his Suzuki RGV250 in the garage for a couple of weeks, and from then on I was hooked. Bought an RZ250R YPVS from a wrecker and rebuilt it (switched the barrels and pistons to 350s to skirt our 250cc learner licencing resitrictions, along with power pipes and adjusting the jetting and oiling to suit).
Got the Corolla a year or so later because I had some complications from a crash that had me in plaster for 11 months. Would have been either '97 or '98 when I gave that to family and have barely driven at all since then.
I do borrow a car every 5 years or so (typically for moving or towing), just to make sure I can still drive. Preferably stick.
Even when I'm travelling I typically rent bikes (helps that it's usually through S E Asia).
I've never seen it snow, and there's no such thing as a "riding season" here, so aside from having heated grips and dailying a 1301cc V-Twin super naked now that I'm old, it's not really an issue.
My mom and dad asked me two things when I was an adult. No motor cycles and no tattoos. I've kept both but wish I had a nice cruising bike.

Came down with adult strep this weekend. Didn't even know adults got that but it sucks. Couldn't even talk for the last 2 days.

My first car was an 89 Camry station wagon that I bought for $2500 in the summer of 01.
Then my next car was a 99 Camry.
Then an 09 Camry.
And now a 19 Camry.

My first car was an 89 Camry station wagon that I bought for $2500 in the summer of 01.
Then my next car was a 99 Camry.
Then an 09 Camry.
And now a 19 Camry.
I've driven a bunch of rental Camrys for work and these new "safety features" really piss me off. The Camry in particular has a lane assist that has tried to force me to exit the highway multiple times. Maybe it's because its a rental, but I can't turn that shit off either. Given the choice I always go with a Carolla over the Camry. Not as roomy, but excellent performance without the annoying safety stuff.

I've driven a bunch of rental Camrys for work and these new "safety features" really piss me off. The Camry in particular has a lane assist that has tried to force me to exit the highway multiple times. Maybe it's because its a rental, but I can't turn that shit off either. Given the choice I always go with a Carolla over the Camry. Not as roomy, but excellent performance without the annoying safety stuff.
Mine doesn't have that.

Starting with the 2025 model all Camrys will have a stupid dual turbo 4 cylinder. So I don't know what I'm gonna do in 2029.

Starting with the 2025 model all Camrys will have a stupid dual turbo 4 cylinder. So I don't know what I'm gonna do in 2029.
I was rear ended a couple of years ago and got stuck with the Lexus version (even though I requested a cheap 4 cylinder) as a rental car for about a month. You could turn the lane assist off.

I was rear ended a couple of years ago and got stuck with the Lexus version (even though I requested a cheap 4 cylinder) as a rental car for about a month. You could turn the lane assist off.
I've driven a ton of different rentals with varying degrees of safety features. The Camry stuck out to me specifically because I couldn't turn that off. I think I could turn off the audible alert, but the fucking thing would still try to steer for me. I don't flat refuse to take a Camry if that's what they have, but I have refused the Audi sedans.

Some cars won't let you shift out of park without your seatbelt on. Had to take one car back because I couldn't open the gas door. Didn't know the key had to be in the ignition for the latch to pop. I am becoming an old fool.

After 22 years of use, abuse, more than a few trips through washing machines, and one memorable dunk in the worlds largest lake, my faithfull 2002 Hot Topic wallet may finally be at its end. The sewing is finally giving away, the snaps are broken, and the leather is tired. Im gonna miss this thing, I can even still see the remnants of the KORN emblem on the front. It may very well be the best 10 bucks I ever spent for ROI. But sadly, I think it's time to put it down and move on.

Meanwhile, my dad is still using his wallet from the fucking 60s that survived a fucking war. I want that level of durability in a wallet.

Weird. I have a 5-year old Toyota with lane assist and I can turn it off. Maybe check the driver's manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back