Social War Room Lounge Thread #320 - Don't tell me what to do, you're not my dad. Wait, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first car was an 89 Camry station wagon that I bought for $2500 in the summer of 01.
Then my next car was a 99 Camry.
Then an 09 Camry.
And now a 19 Camry.
I started with a toyota 4x4. The intro to cars that last forever by our Japanese buds kept me going with those brands for years.

I started with a toyota 4x4. The intro to cars that last forever by our Japanese buds kept me going with those brands for years.
I saw a Corolla in Iraq that had over 680,000 kilometers on it and still running as a taxi.
It's a damn shame Toyota has never sold the Hilux here.

I saw a Corolla in Iraq that had over 680,000 kilometers on it and still running as a taxi.
It's a damn shame Toyota has never sold the Hilux here.
Legit never heard of it. But yeah, those cars run forever which is why I usually buy them.

PUTfUse.jpeg

After 22 years of use, abuse, more than a few trips through washing machines, and one memorable dunk in the worlds largest lake, my faithfull 2002 Hot Topic wallet may finally be at its end. The sewing is finally giving away, the snaps are broken, and the leather is tired. Im gonna miss this thing, I can even still see the remnants of the KORN emblem on the front. It may very well be the best 10 bucks I ever spent for ROI. But sadly, I think it's time to put it down and move on.

Meanwhile, my dad is still using his wallet from the fucking 60s that survived a fucking war. I want that level of durability in a wallet.
OGC.40b968d5c9eb50fb907fc21b760d03b6

Weird. I have a 5-year old Toyota with lane assist and I can turn it off. Maybe check the driver's manual?
These are rental cars so there's no checking the manual. I guess it's possible that the rental company removes the option to turn this off. A few rentals I've gotten have governors that won't let me go faster than 98mph.

These are rental cars so there's no checking the manual. I guess it's possible that the rental company removes the option to turn this off. A few rentals I've gotten have governors that won't let me go faster than 98mph.
How'd you find that out? Not by driving that fast right...right?!

How'd you find that out? Not by driving that fast right...right?!
I travel out in the middle of nowhere often and that's the only time I hit those speeds. It's normal to not see another car on the road for 40 miles. Only scares have been a pack of boars running across the road and a deer just standing in the middle of the road. Got pulled over by a county sheriff last week going 20 over and the dude didn't even give me a written warning.

My mom and dad asked me two things when I was an adult. No motor cycles and no tattoos. I've kept both but wish I had a nice cruising bike.

Can't say I asked my folks for their opinion, although my dad had bikes before he got married (when he sold his guns and bike) and I've an aunt on my mum's side that still rides in her 60s. They crammed all 5 of us on a scooter in Thailand when we were kids (no helmets either), so chances are the safety factor wasn't a big issue for them anyway.
Not really into cruisers, I've got 5 sports bikes. Although the super naked is plenty comfortable. If I get to the stage where I'm really old and decrepit I might get an Adventure bike. They are basically the SUVs of motorcycles.

a3-jpg.834682

My first car was a tank
A dark green volvo 144.
God I hated that car.

when i was young my parents used to have a volvo. the thing was a piece of shit. it ran on diesel. there was one time when the brake pads worn out or some shit they didnt have extra money to fix it for like a week or two and they still needed a car to drive, and every day on the drive to school was an adventure for me. having to run red lights or trying to stop only to stop half way through the intersection and shit. it was the next best thing to having no brakes at all.

these days i'm sure they wouldnt consider driving around with a car where the brakes arent really working, but hey they didn't seem to mind when they had 2 kids in the car. stepping into that god damn boat was taking a chance on my life. i would almost have to say a prayer every time i went inside it. even after they got the brakes fixed and shit. there was always something going wrong with that car.

and one of those days we gave one of my school buddies who lived down the street a ride and my dad told him that the car doesnt have any brakes and he thought my dad was just messing with him until we got to the first intersection where the lights were changing and we ran a red light cause there wasnt enough time or room to stop.

that was straight up child endangerment. but back in those days they could beat our ass. these days social services will come and take the kids away if the parent so much as look at the children the wrong way if they do something wrong. it wasnt like it used to be.

Last edited:
Aaron rodgers being a sandy hook truther is right on brand

I always hate these he said blah blah in private conversation tweets. Show us the texts, email, messages, play the audio, have proof, I hate he said she said accusations.

Can't say I asked my folks for their opinion, although my dad had bikes before he got married (when he sold his guns and bike) and I've an aunt on my mum's side that still rides in her 60s. They crammed all 5 of us on a scooter in Thailand when we were kids (no helmets either), so chances are the safety factor wasn't a big issue for them anyway.
Not really into cruisers, I've got 5 sports bikes. Although the super naked is plenty comfortable. If I get to the stage where I'm really old and decrepit I might get an Adventure bike. They are basically the SUVs of motorcycles.

a3-jpg.834682
When I was younger I was friends with someone who had a Honda Goldwing, circa 1980,
1988-Honda-Gold-Wing-GL1500.jpg

It looked pretty comfy. I don't know anything about bikes though I think they're cool and would drive one (a few months out of the year anyway), except the risk/reward balance is just too far off for me.

When I was younger I was friends with someone who had a Honda Goldwing, circa 1980,

It looked pretty comfy. I don't know anything about bikes though I think they're cool and would drive one (a few months out of the year anyway), except the risk/reward balance is just too far off for me.
Yeah, Goldwings are basically a couch with a (big) motor. Never ridden one, although I've seen them hustled through the local hills at a surprising clip given the sheer size and weight.
BMW are their main competition (K1600). 6 cylinders and almost 400kg isn't really the sort of minimalism I'm after for a bike. Definitely designed for range and comfort though.
Adventure bikes aren't quite as enormous, but definitely still have all the comfort and tech thrown at them. They basically ate the sports touring class of bikes, although I rarely need the off road pretensions (hence the SUV comparison).

Yeah, Goldwings are basically a couch with a (big) motor. Never ridden one, although I've seen them hustled through the local hills at a surprising clip given the sheer size and weight.
BMW are their main competition (K1600). 6 cylinders and almost 400kg isn't really the sort of minimalism I'm after for a bike. Definitely designed for range and comfort though.
Adventure bikes aren't quite as big and enormous, but definitely still have all the comfort and tech thrown at them. They basically ate the sports touring class of bikes, although I rarely need the off road pretensions (hence the SUV comparison).
Yeah, compared to the crotch rocket you posted above I chuckled when I thought of that Honda.

Funny you should mention BMW. The one other person I can recall knowing who had a nice bike owned a BMW. Looked a lot like this one IIRC,
BMW_R75-5_r_TCE.jpg

Not sure if they still make them but I remember the goldwings were super popular back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back