Social War Room Lounge Thread #320 - Don't tell me what to do, you're not my dad. Wait, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Goldwings are basically a couch with a (big) motor. Never ridden one, although I've seen them hustled through the local hills at a surprising clip given the sheer size and weight.
BMW are their main competition (K1600). 6 cylinders and almost 400kg isn't really the sort of minimalism I'm after for a bike. Definitely designed for range and comfort though.
Adventure bikes aren't quite as big and enormous, but definitely still have all the comfort and tech thrown at them. They basically ate the sports touring class of bikes, although I rarely need the off road pretensions (hence the SUV comparison).

i want one of those but i would probably die on it.

Yeah, compared to the crotch rocket you posted above I chuckled when I thought of that Honda.

Funny you should mention BMW. The one other person I can recall knowing who had a nice bike owned a BMW. Looked a lot like this one IIRC,
BMW_R75-5_r_TCE.jpg

I sometimes go riding with one of my mates and his dad (in his 70s) who owns a bunch of classic beemers (and old Jap bikes as well).
They had a reputation as bikes for old fuddy duddies, until they started making serious sports bikes in the 2000s.
That's a legitimate classic, but there's a lot of "modern classic" motorcycles aimed at a similar market and retro aesthetic.
Of course Harley's been doing that for decades, but now there's retro models from Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Royal Enfield, Moto Guzzi and the Japanese big 4 that are more "standard" than "cruiser".

I sometimes go riding with one of my mates and his dad (in his 70s) who owns a bunch of classic beemers (and old Jap bikes as well).
They had a reputation as bikes for old fuddy duddies, until they started making serious sports bikes in the 2000s.
That's a legitimate classic, but there's a lot of "modern classic" motorcycles aimed at a similar market and retro aesthetic.
Of course Harley's been doing that for decades, but now there's retro models from Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Royal Enfield, Moto Guzzi and the Japanese big 4 that are more "standard" than "cruiser".
I never heard of Moto Guzzi before but a quick google shows me they have some pretty neat styles.

I never heard of Moto Guzzi before but a quick google shows me they have some pretty neat styles.
Italian and quirky. Riding experience is dominated by that transverse v-twin. Beautiful bikes, but just a little bit too quirky for me.

i want one of those but i would probably die on it.

There's certainly substantial risk, and everyone I know that rides has crashed at least once (especially when they are young, stupid and inexperienced).
I felt the same way before hopping on a bike, but the experience changed my risk/reward evaluation considerably. Not that everyone loves it equally of course, or has the same risks.
Almost all my close friends had bikes when we were kids, but marriage, children and other commitments certainly swings the risk/reward equation.
Quite a few have gotten back into it recently as middle aged "born again bikers", but that group actually has the worst statistics due to the drop off in their skills, the vast advances in the performance of bikes since the 70s/80s/90s and the increased frailty of older riders.

There's certainly substantial risk, and everyone I know that rides has crashed at least once (especially when they are young, stupid and inexperienced).
I felt the same way before hopping on a bike, but the experience changed my risk/reward evaluation considerably. Not that everyone loves it equally of course or has the same risks.
Almost all my close friends had bikes when we were kids, but marriage, children and other commitments certainly swings the risk/reward equation.
Quite a few have gotten back into it recently as middle aged "born again bikers", but that group actually has the worst statistics due to the drop off in their skills, the vast advances in the performance of bikes since the 70s/80s/90s and the increased frailty of older riders.

my dad fucked his leg up in a motorcycle accident. it was enough to deter me from getting on one. ive rode a dirtbike a couple times and its not so bad. i wouldnt be worried about my own riding abilities. i would be more concerned about the traffic around me. theres too many stupid drivers doing stupid things. dunno if i'd want to take my chances on a crotch rocket when i'm harder for idiot drivers to see.

my dad fucked his leg up in a motorcycle accident. it was enough to deter me from getting on one. ive rode a dirtbike a couple times and its not so bad. i wouldnt be worried about my own riding abilities. i would be more concerned about the traffic around me. theres too many stupid drivers doing stupid things. dunno if i'd want to take my chances on a crotch rocket when i'm harder for idiot drivers to see.

Yeah, I've had a few really put the effort in to try and kill me. Including a car full of teenage girls who pulled out of a lane of traffic turning right without looking and knocked me into the gutter (managed to stay on the bike), a guy who (presumably) didn't realise lane splitting is legal that chased after me and nudged me with his car, a deaf Mexican (Victorian) gun runner who cosplays as Daniel Boone that reversed into me, along with the occasional suicidal kangaroo, deer, goat and koala that required emergency evasive maneuvers.
Constantly have idiots pull out on me (including out of no right turn intersections), but I'm always anticipating the homicidal antics of other road users.

Yeah, I've had a few try to kill me. Including a car full of teenage girls who pulled out of a lane turning right without looking and knocked me into the gutter (managed to stay on the bike), a guy who (presumably) didn't realise lane splitting is legal that chased after me and nudged me with his car, a deaf Mexican (Victorian) gun runner who cosplays as Daniel Boone that reversed into me, along with the occasional suicidal kangaroo, deer, goat and koala that required emergency evasive maneuvers.
Constantly have idiots pull out on me (including out of no right turn intersections), but I'm always anticipating the homicidal antics of other road users.

gotta watch out for those suicidal kangaroos

have you ever punched one before?

gotta watch out for those suicidal kangaroos

have you ever punched one before?

No, only animal I've actually hit was a cat, which I had to pull over and go back to stomp it out of it's misery.
I've had to swerve to avoid roos jumping out of the bushes beside the road at dusk and dawn on many occasions though.
There's a few of my friends and family members that have completely written off cars by hitting roos, so I reckon you'd be lucky to survive a collision on the bike.

No, only animal I've actually hit was a cat, which I had to pull over and go back to stomp it out of it's misery.
I've had to swerve to avoid roos jumping out of the bushes beside the road at dusk and dawn on many occasions though.
There's a few of my friends and family members that have completely written off cars by hitting roos, so I reckon you'd be lucky to survive a collision on the bike.

so you ran over a cat and then you stomped its head in.

did your mother not love you as a child?

so you ran over a cat and then you stomped its head in.

did your mother not love you as a child?

Well it was either that or leave it mewing pitifully while it tried to pull itself off the road with a broken back and it's intestines hanging out of it's arsehole.

Well it was either that or leave it mewing pitifully while it tried to pull itself off the road with a broken back and it's intestines hanging out of it's arsehole.

i know a chinese guy who would have been happy to fry it up for you.

i know a chinese guy who would have been happy to fry it up for you.

Maybe under other circumstances, although I have it on good authority that cat meat is disgusting.

Maybe under other circumstances, although I have it on good authority that cat meat is disgusting.

oh come on, it'll put some hair on your chest. you just gotta tenderize the meat just a little. no need to go all out and stomp its head in next time.

i've seen a cat chasing another cat across the street and it got ran over by a car and immediately started doing some fucked up convulsion shit. theres no way that it would have survived that. i didn't look back but i definately wasnt going back there to stomp its head in.

one time i was just walking and i had either a rat or a really big mouse come running down the street at me and then it stopped right in front of me. so i booted it. i must have kicked it a good 20 feet up the road and it was all twitching around and then i stomped it. it eventually got flattened into a street pancake by other motorists.

well it appeared as if that rodent must have had a death wish as i dont know why it would come running up to a human and just decide to stand there. i'm thinking maybe it had some kind of parasite infecting its brain where the parasite uses jedi mind tricks to make the rodent run in front of predators in hopes of the predator eating the mouse so that the parasite can take over inside the predator. of course i may be completely wrong but thats just my theory. normally i would think a mouse or a rat would try to shy away from humans because they instinctively have to know by now that humans will kill them and their relatives.

oh come on, it'll put some hair on your chest. you just gotta tenderize the meat just a little. no need to go all out and stomp its head in next time.

i've seen a cat chasing another cat across the street and it got ran over by a car and immediately started doing some fucked up convulsion shit. theres no way that it would have survived that. i didn't look back but i definately wasnt going back there to stomp its head in.

one time i was just walking and i had either a rat or a really big mouse come running down the street at me and then it stopped right in front of me. so i booted it. i must have kicked it a good 20 feet up the road and it was all twitching around and then i stomped it. it eventually got flattened into a street pancake by other motorists.

well it appeared as if that rodent must have had a death wish as i dont know why it would come running up to a human and just decide to stand there. i'm thinking maybe it had some kind of parasite infecting its brain where the parasite uses jedi mind tricks to make the rodent run in front of predators in hopes of the predator eating the mouse so that the parasite can take over inside the predator. of course i may be completely wrong but thats just my theory. normally i would think a mouse or a rat would try to shy away from humans because they instinctively have to know by now that humans will kill them and their relatives.
Man, that's some sad shit. The worst I ever saw was a little dog hit by a car when I was little myself. But it was killed on impact so no stomping was required. It was very sad, actually. It was on a little residential side street and kids were playing there--a lot of us saw it happen. This tool came flying through way too fast in a massive boat of a car; what an asshole. It could have been much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back