War Room OT Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
His post didn't address shit from my perspective since it was not a substitute for our potential conversation.

I await your...grace.

Well that's a whole other issue with that thread sorting out who is referencing what to not take anyone out of context. I just meant his definitions of the instruments you brought up. I didn't read anything beyond that.

Well that's a whole other issue with that thread sorting out who is referencing what to not take anyone out of context. I just meant his definitions of the instruments you brought up. I didn't read anything beyond that.

Was your concern not the risk associated with purchasing an asset that represents nothing tangible?

Was your concern not the risk associated with purchasing an asset that represents nothing tangible?

My concern is the way it is being perceived and used compared to what it's suppose be and presented as. The risk conversation was a rabbit hole mike got us on because he was using the risk/growth to compare it to growth stock.

His post didn't address shit from my perspective since it was not a substitute for our potential conversation.

I await your...grace.

I always take this .gif to mean disagreement. :confused:
I meant it the other way. Here you go:

<{monica}>

My concern is the way it is being perceived and used compared to what it's suppose be and presented as. The risk conversation was a rabbit hole mike got us on because he was using the risk/growth to compare it to growth stock.

Sure. There's multiple aspects of it and if you'd rather focus on one that's cool. Hit me back in the thread. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I meant it the other way. Here you go:

<{monica}>

Right on. Used to be all the shit on Coursera was free. Seems like they've change up their model a bit. I searched by "free accounting" and that one looked good. I've got like a dozen course certificates off that thing. At $49-$69 a pop that's chump-change for my employer. They feel good picking up that tab. :cool:

That's still in my queue, don't worry. Anytime I have a post I want to ramble about, I let it sit a bit partly because I'm lazy and partly because I end up condensing my thoughts by that time. Jack's response addressed half of your reply but the other half is going to be a long rant of the issue I see with the way Bitcoin is being perceived and how that it important to factor in. Don't look forward to it, it's probably going to be a shitty incoherent post no matter how long I wait.

This was the whole post:

"Are you harping on there being no tangible asset to bitcoin?

Nothing tangible backs dollars. Or bonds. Even with stocks, that value is gonna plummet if there's bankruptcy. Not like you show up at the company and take a few desks and a conference table for your shares."

Seems to be a straight-forward case of @Cubo de Sangre not understanding the point. Bonds and stocks are income streams that you buy into, and cash isn't expected to appreciate in value. The point you made is untouched by the response. What's the other half of it?

Cubo's response to me is just more of his insane hostility that arises from my mocking of his decent into right-wing hivemindery.

I wish I knew about stocks and stuff :(

It's very overrated. If you knew the amount of money, work and expertise that goes into trying to get an increased couple of percentage points of annual returns without increased risk, you'd realize it's a complete waste of time for a regular person (though the same performance is of unfathomable value if you have a lot of money and ability to leverage). You'll get far more value out of learning about asset allocation, how to avoid overpaying, diversification, emotional control, etc.

It's very overrated. If you knew the amount of money, work and expertise that goes into trying to get an increased couple of percentage points of annual returns without increased risk, you'd realize it's a complete waste of time for a regular person (though the same performance is of unfathomable value if you have a lot of money and ability to leverage). You'll get far more value out of learning about asset allocation, how to avoid overpaying, diversification, emotional control, etc.

Exactly. My professor said the same thing. Even if you do all that research, you will be making like pennies an hour. Ya, you may have gotten a little more from research but look at the time consumed. All those hours just to get a little more info. It isn't worth it or plausible.

Websites do all the shit for you. MACD. RSI. They plot them all for you. You should learn how to read candlestick patterns and know basics like that.

I like The Teaching Company. I started with this lecture which can easily be found on torrent:

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/how-the-stock-market-works.html

Emotional control is fuckin key. We got panic wrestling in MMA and panic selling in the market.

There is a ton of stuff online. Or just watch interviews with people like Warren Buffett and Mark Cuban. They have totally different styles but it is good to hear many different views. I see many youtube videos just parroting Warren Buffett. I don't need to hear that for the 50th time. Cuban says diversification is for idiots and holding is horseshit. lol. This guy like thrives in chaos. He doesn't pay attention to the market most of the year but there will be a "world series" for a couple days and that is when he jumps in. He says keep money in cash. Don't hold it in stocks or other things. Keep cash until there is actually something good.

I loved Boardwalk Empire and Arnold Rothstein.

Atlantic City boss Nucky Thompson finds himself besieged by rival mobsters and the US district attorney’s investigators. He meets with Chicago gangster Johnny Torrio and Manhattan’s gambling kingpin Arnold Rothstein to plot his next move…

Torrio: “What are you gonna do?”

Nucky: “What would you do, John?”

Torrio: “Kill the prick,”

Nucky: “I’m under indictment. The Feds are up my ass…”

Torrio: “Then take it with you. Retire somewhere.”

Nucky: “Take what? All my money’s tied up in a land deal.”

Rothstein: “Nothing.”

Nucky: “I beg your pardon?”

Rothstein: “You have no move, Mr. Thompson. You do nothing,”

Torrio: “He’s under attack, Arnold.”

Rothstein: “All the more reason for patience. I’ve made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make 20 bets. Some days I make none. Weeks, sometimes months in fact, when I make no bets at all because there simply is no play. So I wait, plan, marshal my resources and when I finally see an opportunity and there is a bet to make, I bet it all.”

Sometimes, the best move is to do nothing. This applies to when unclear event risk rears its ugly head or in the midst of a market melt-up in which one finds himself under-invested.

and Sun Tzu:

'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.'

google this: 2017 fiscal federal deficit

:eek:

the mark of the beast.

Last edited:
Time to buy a new car -- crazy how thin dealerships profit margins are these days. They are willing to let product go for a few hundred profit. Apple needs to sell only 4 phones to equal the profit a dealership makes on a 30'000 dollar car.

Takes the fun out of negotiating.

Don't you love speculation?

Senri, please tell me what is inside of @Fawlty. He seems to think significance level is an objectively measurable property.
It's reported that Flynn is rolling over on the entire top of the food chain, including the President. If you don't think that's significant, you aren't worth talking to. Like I said in the other thread, more for you. You can have all of that. I'll pass.

It's reported that Flynn is rolling over on the entire top of the food chain, including the President. If you don't think that's significant, you aren't worth talking to. Like I said in the other thread, more for you. You can have all of that. I'll pass.
It will be significant if any of his claims are supportable by evidence. But so far we don't know his specific claims and we don't have any evidence. Therefore this does not yet rise to the level of significance.

Settle down Mr Fawlty, i want all of us to find the pinnacle of truth. The Nexus demands this of us... He simply wants to taste your musk, let him slide inside gently so that we can all masticate your poetry with phlegmatic ripples.

It's already inside, just relax as it begins to slide....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back