Was Takada vs Coleman a work?

How much Pride did you watch? Name a significant fight that you think was a work (i.e., a fight having an actual important impact on a career, or involving/benefiting an elite and/or international fighter). The Coleman fiasco is the only fight that comes to mind. Other circus/potentially fixed fights were for a local/pro wrestler against a can.
I've watched every Pride event more than 5 times each...other than Dynamite which was never released on DVD. I have the entire library on DVD.

Sakurabas fights against Vitor and Newton were questionable, at best. Vitor acted like he was afraid to punch Saku and the Newton fight was basically an agreed upon grappling match.

Yeah there's no doubt about it this is a work.

You’re naive if u think there hasn’t been fight fixing in Pride.

Hell even ufc had a fixed fight. I believe it was oleg taktarov vs anthony macias in the early ufc. Something like it was a tournament and oleg and macias had the same agent/manager or something and they said just let oleg win so he’s fresh for the finals, so macias who is a kickboxer shot for a takedown immediately on oleg who guillotined him for a quick tap.

Coleman admitted to it being a work , same with Nathan Jones in his single Pride fight said he was paid to take a dive. It happened.

I didn't really think so, but I do recall Saku/Randleman being a bit strange: like Randleman couldn't pull the trigger or something (but he was often weird like that). I just thougth that Saku outgrappled rampage.

Rampage probably lost fair and square, but he said he was offered more money not to tap out, that’s sketchy.

Don Frye X Yoshida was a def work...

Also, one of my old coaches was a judge for Pride for their first few events. He knew monetary details of what fighters were paid to take dives. Coleman was made 50k on top of his purse to get leg locked by Takada. This is from a conversation we had back in 2002ish.

the only believable part was coleman gassing late in the fight. I think this was pretty fixed.

I don't think there are many direct works in Pride but there were definitely some questionable decisions and standups from refs that influence the outcome. There is also bracket manipulation for tournaments. I don't think they are chosen at random.

I'll give you this one: Crocop vs Randleman 2

Neither of their fights look real compared to modern mma. An elite kickboxer getting dropped and KO'd by a wrestler with no striking in the first round. An elite wrestler getting easily submitted in the first round by a kickboxer with no known submission skills.

Cro Cop has had a bizarre career. Showed an iffy chin in his prime but spend his late 30s to mid 40s on a win streak.

I've watched every Pride event more than 5 times each...other than Dynamite which was never released on DVD. I have the entire library on DVD.

Sakurabas fights against Vitor and Newton were questionable, at best. Vitor acted like he was afraid to punch Saku and the Newton fight was basically an agreed upon grappling match.

Aye, Vitor vs Saku was a weird one. Humiliating for Vitor if it was real, and even more humiliating if he took a dive and chose to pretend-fight like that (and eat Mongolian Chops from Saku).

Rampage probably lost fair and square, but he said he was offered more money not to tap out, that’s sketchy.
YEEEES I do remember hearing about that. And yes, that's definitely sketchy. I wonder if Coleman was offered more money to dramatically wave-off the sub as if he was REALLY thinking about not tapping...before tapping ;)

YEEEES I do remember hearing about that. And yes, that's definitely sketchy. I wonder if Coleman was offered more money to dramatically wave-off the sub as if he was REALLY thinking about not tapping...before tapping ;)

Wouldn’t surprise me lol the ufc also does sketchy shit too though, like TRT being allowed and having ufc doctors tell fighters to get on it, hiding Vitor drug tests, Dana actually betting with Wanderlei Silva on a ufc fight ON CAMERA

Last edited:

Vitor was dealing with a lot back then. I remember that fight. He was dealing with his sisters death. She was reported alive and then dead and then alive again.
You know these guys are not robots.

idk if it's just my internet, or this video, but the announcers are ahead of the action... like Coleman's first takedown they say "there it is, beautiful double leg..." and all that is said before the shot even happens.

I'm sure it's just the dub getting out of sync, but it definitely makes the whole thing feel extra- worked lol

To much shady shit happened in Pride to take anything that happenes in Japan too seriously.

100 % legit. Takada was the real deal of sex appeal. Royce Gracie couldn't submit him. Cro Cop couldn't beat him. Mike Bernardo couldn't beat him. He dropped Rickson Gracie with a knee strike. He lasted longer with Vovchanchyn than the likes of Enson Inoue and Gilbert Yvel.

He fought the best of the best and held his own. Obviously he could submit someone as inept at leglocks as Coleman.

It is easier to sort out than that.

Here goes:

If Takada was fighting, it was a work.

And you can go even farther.

If a fight went to.... "the judges"...... it was a work haha.

Back