Was Yves Edwards that terrifying to you back in the day?

BluntForceTrama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm asking this because Mas has come out and said that his fight with Yves was the one time he was actually scared beforehand

which brings me to the upcoming fight island fight

he seems so ready to fight Usman it's almost psychopath stuff 6 days notice against a Beast and you'd never know it

Well, he was a very complete fighter for the early days.

He lacked aggression in some fights though and he should've stayed in Pride.

This was pretty scary.

1omys2_medium.gif

You're being a mark, TS. Masvidal is getting on a plane to cash a big cheque. I'm sure he wants to win badly but he still comes out well if he doesn't. why would he be scared?

The idea of Yves Lavigne referring a fight was terrifying at one point in time.

This was pretty scary.

1omys2_medium.gif
One of the all time great breakaway KOs

Also tooled one of the most unbderrated fighters in Edson Berto with a nasty flying knee.
Him and Mas actually have a lot in common in their styles: crazy strikes but sometimes too patient.
Yves fought a TON of name/game journeymen and gatekeepers who were UFC caliber outside the UFC.

Last edited:
Back in the day yes he was a top fighter. But thats like 15 years ago.

Back in the day yes he was a top fighter. But thats like 15 years ago.
So was the Masvidal v Yves fight ;)

But you’re right. He wasn’t a top 5 LW anymore. Still, fighting him a few years after he was is still like fighting RDA today. He may not be the best anymore, but you don’t sleep in him.

Last edited:
Well he was a pretty complete fighter with some pretty legit kos over good guys. Hes a way better fighter than he is given credit for, especially back in the day.
Mas knew there was a danger fighting him, and rightly so.

He was one of the best...

If it weren’t for 155 getting dissolved, I’m sure he would have held the gold at some point.

I was really surprised he was able to ko Stephens late in his UFC career. I remember telling everyone before he was going to get knocked out again lol. Solid fighter and career.

Yeah Yves was pretty dangerous and well rounded at his best. KOd Jeremy Stephen's and Josh Thomson as well as a close fight with Tony Ferguson. Slowly faded after the Masvidal loss, chin deteriorated and wasn't as slick as he was prior. Prime Yves would be a solid staple in the 145 division

What do you mean dissolved? You mean evolved?

They got rid of the division for a while like 15 or so years ago. Then brought it back. Coincidentally Edwards vs Hominick was one of the first fights when it returned. Edwards was a favorite to go on and win the title, but lost that fight.

When Yves lost that fight I was fucking enraged that some no-name bitch beat him. Luckily Masvidal went on to great success. Masvidal got robbed against Daley.

What do you mean dissolved? You mean evolved?

I meant to say the 155 title getting dissolved...

After Penn/Uno 2 resulted in a draw, the UFC just got rid of the lightweight title altogether.

During that time with no belt, Edwards went on his undefeated streak in the UFC

His head kicks were the best in that weight division back in the day.

Back