Was Yves Edwards that terrifying to you back in the day?

I meant to say the 155 title getting dissolved...

After Penn/Uno 2 resulted in a draw, the UFC just got rid of the lightweight title altogether.

During that time with no belt, Edwards went on his undefeated streak in the UFC
And he lost a close one against Hansen.

JMMA LWs were just as underrated by UFC-centric fans as WEC LWs

Watching Yves Edwards fight wasn't terrifying. The prospect of having to fight him would be.

He had superb skills for that era, whereas Mas wasnt as complete as Yves at that time.

Yves was a complete fighter and also a finisher. One of my favorites of all time

Fighters are only really scared of getting KOd. Not really a risk with Usman.

He would be shaking in his boots if he had to fight Michael Venom Page, for example. MVP could KO anyone of the top 5 in the UFC ww division

One of the all time great breakaway KOs

Also tooled one of the most unbderrated fighters in Edson Berto with a nasty flying knee.
Him and Mas actually have a lot in common in their styles: crazy strikes but sometimes too patient.
Yves fought a TON of name/game journeymen and gatekeepers who were UFC caliber outside the UFC.
That Berto KO was another all time great KO. Hit they jump knee why Berto had a hold of a single leg on the other. It was innovative KOs like these that added to how scary Yves was at the time. He had that rep of being able to launch a fight-ending strike outta nowhere.

That Berto KO was another all time great KO. Hit they jump knee why Berto had a hold of a single leg on the other. It was innovative KOs like these that added to how scary Yves was at the time. He had that rep of being able to launch a fight-ending strike outta nowhere.
Berto extremely underrated too. Brother to a world title boxer, dangerous with all 4 limbs and some great submissions.

Yes. The uncrownd lw champ. His resume is very impressive, especially in his prime

true, but he was still in the ufc 5 years ago and KOed Jeremy Stephens in his prime 8 years ago.

Very good fighter but not top of da food chain type of fighter - 5 years ago.

His fight with Tony is fireworks, very dangerous striker.

They got rid of the division for a while like 15 or so years ago. Then brought it back. Coincidentally Edwards vs Hominick was one of the first fights when it returned. Edwards was a favorite to go on and win the title, but lost that fight.
I meant to say the 155 title getting dissolved...

After Penn/Uno 2 resulted in a draw, the UFC just got rid of the lightweight title altogether.

During that time with no belt, Edwards went on his undefeated streak in the UFC

I actually felt the most bad for Sherk during that time. I firmly believe he would have ruled that division during that time. He would have been like a Matt Hughes but even more physically dominant for that size. He was just there at a really bad time and really only lost to Hughes and GSP, both of who are much much larger than him.

I mean Sherk has lost to Hughes, GSP, Penn, and Frankie Edgar. Not a bad list.

I actually felt the most bad for Sherk during that time. I firmly believe he would have ruled that division during that time. He would have been like a Matt Hughes but even more physically dominant for that size. He was just there at a really bad time and really only lost to Hughes and GSP, both of who are much much larger than him.

I mean Sherk has lost to Hughes, GSP, Penn, and Frankie Edgar. Not a bad list.

Sherk was very talented and underrated. He beat Diaz in essentially a standup fight (people say Diaz got robbed, he didn't).

I did lol when both he and Franca both tested positive in their fight though.

Sherk was very talented and underrated. He beat Diaz in essentially a standup fight (people say Diaz got robbed, he didn't).

I did lol when both he and Franca both tested positive in their fight though.

For sure. And that's with like a 10 inch reach disadvantage...heh. Ya, Sherk was juiced like crazy, we could all see it based on his physique alone......but that was also back in the day when pretty much all the fighters were on something as testing was a joke.

I wasn't scared to watch, I wasn't fighting that MFer.

One of the few guys I watched that I was pretty sure was legit going to try to kill people in the octagon.<6>

I’ve always been a huge fan but the talk of him being an “uncrowned king” was a little overblown back in the days.

Same goes for fighters like Bustamante who some labeled the p4p #1 for a while.

I personally felt he beat Hansen...

Edwards/Mach would have been amazing!

Though I’ll admit, there aren’t many fights that top Mach/Hansen.
Ya it was truly a coin flip. And 2 fav's of mine. Very tactical.

Bushido 9 was a top 3 GOAT card. And IIRC, it was only $20.

Back