Was Zhang/Rose an early stoppage?

Short answer no. If the ref let it carry on, Rose would have kept smashing her. Zhang was out.

^ anyone suggesting that it was at all early is going to need to explain why Zhang is completely motionless for a full second after the fight was stopped, & doesn’t gather the wherewithal to try to stand until a full 3 seconds after the fight was stopped.

Zhang does not pick her head off of the canvas until midway into frame 0:01, & does not try to stand until frame 0:03.

normally when a fight is stopped early, the fighter is still moving. So they immediately pop up after the ref stops it. Zhang on the other hand is completely motionless, face down, for a second after the call.

what was going on there, was she catching her breath before protesting?

It’s so obvious in this clip that she’s flash KOed, OUT OF IT, & then wakes up once she moves her head.

This isn't boxing with a standing 8 count to recover... When you get a flash knockout and your opponent follows up, you're pretty much dead in the water...

It was a good stoppage but like any fighter she thought it was bad because she was still conscious....cant hate on Welli for that...she wanted to go out on her shield just like 90% of fighters do.
She wasn’t. She only regained consciousness after the ref stopped the fight. She’s entirely motionless, face down on the canvas, until halfway into frame 0:01

Flash KOed. Not conscious.

I was rooting for Rose but it was a little early for my liking.

Nothing to complain about but I like to see the fighter go out cold
Her arm doesn’t go limp, Rose is holding her arm down so she can’t block the punches. She only gets hit twice and the ref stops it. Definitely an early stoppage especially in a title fight.
Was early, should have given her a chance to fight out of it and the fans some more blood
How do you fight out of something when you are literally not conscious? A flash KO is a KO, still.

Zhang does not move at all until a full second after the ref stops it.

If you’re asserting she wasn’t OUT, can you please clarify for me what you see going on from frame 0:00 to 0:01. She doesn’t move at all for a full second after Peterson stops it.

What was going on there, was she just catching her breath before protesting?

When a fighter isn’t out, they’re still moving the entire time & pop up IMMEDIATELY after the ref gets in the way. Zhang is motionless until frame 0:01.

I think the duration of unconsciousness is pretty irrelevant, a couple seconds or a couple minutes. You’re out.

& the only reason Zhang’s duration of unconsciousness only lasted a couple seconds is because the ref stopped it at the PERFECT moment, as soon as she went out.

Last edited:
It was a great stoppage. One shot less, and she would be mildly conscious; one shot more, and it would be too much.

Yet another video:

This is not a Lawler-Askren or Fedor-Henderson situation where a shot seems to wake up the fighter. She was flatlined, limp and asleep, FFS.

Masvidal was a knockout, this definitely wasnt. You dont immediately stand up and protest after a knockout, because you are knocked out. She was hurt bad, but she easily could have survived the gnp considering ts a 100lb female pillow fisted Rose thats punching her.

Please go back and watch Zab Judah vs. Kostya Tszyu.

You don't have to be asleep to be concussed. Zhang recovered pretty quickly but she was fucking done.

The ref should have stopped the fight the moment she was kicked in the face, planked and fell with her hands down while making no attempts to break her fall with said hands.

Then you would object to the ref's call with regard to Aspen Ladd's KO by GDR? Because Aspen didn't plank, and did break her fall with her hands.

DimAffectionateHound-max-1mb.gif
FineSandyCowrie-size_restricted.gif

She wasn’t. She only regained consciousness after the ref stopped the fight. She’s entirely motionless, face down on the canvas, until halfway into frame 0:01

Flash KOed. Not conscious.

I do not get the point....fact is she didnt realize it and thus contested the stoppage until she saw the footage...no fighter will accept defeat if they feel they can still fight. BTW I never said it was a bad stoppage...it was good, just pointed out why Welli contested it.

I do not get the point....fact is she didnt realize it and thus contested the stoppage until she saw the footage...no fighter will accept defeat if they feel they can still fight. BTW I never said it was a bad stoppage...it was good, just pointed out why Welli contested it.
Well, you said she thought it was bad bc “she was still conscious”, but she was not conscious when the ref stopped it. She came back to consciousness very quickly bc the ref stopped Rose from hitting her at the exact moment she went limp. I’m sure Zhang at the time did think she never went out

there’s about 5 frames of 0:00 in this clip if you watch it in slow motion & during all 5 of these frames Rose stands up & backs away to the monster logo. Zhang conversely is entirely motionless, face down on the canvas, for all 5 of these frames. She was literally out cold, but was afforded the luxury to wake up very quickly bc of the ref. (1.5 seconds after the ref stopped it)

The only reason her period of unconsciousness wasn’t much longer is bc of a perfect stoppage. But I get that she didn’t know & it appeared to her like she didn’t go out

Last edited:
I thought the claims immediately after the fight that it was an early stoppage were a joke of Zhang-haters that wanted to see her beaten unconcious. Or, it was a joke because Herb Dean was the ref, so everyone says 'Early Stoppage!' automatically.

There's...

*good stoppages - The ref stopping the fight when the fight needed to be stopped.
*early stoppages - the ref stopping the fight too early.
*grey-area leaning to early stoppages - questionable but leaning toward it being early.
*grey-area leaning to late stoppages - questionable but leaning toward it being late.
*Late stoppage - The ref stopping the fight clearly after the fighter had taken a few shots past the point they were no longer intelligently defending themselves.

With the Rose/Zhang fight it clearly was a good stoppage. Give Herb Dean all the criticism he deserves for when its a bad stoppage, but this was a good one.

Then you would object to the ref's call with regard to Aspen Ladd's KO by GDR? Because Aspen didn't plank, and did break her fall with her hands.

DimAffectionateHound-max-1mb.gif
FineSandyCowrie-size_restricted.gif
Not at all. The point I was making was that, in that specific case, because Zhang went down stiff as a board, she was clearly already KOed once, which is immediate grounds for a stoppage, so it wasn't an early stop like the OP was insinuating.

The stoppage was good, but not because Zhang was stumbling around when she got up like many people are saying here.

Having stanky legs means she was rocked, well duh she was rocked, thats not enough reason to stop a fight tho. It was a good stoppage because she wasn’t defending

Zhang didn't know what happened and couldn't walk properly due to being knocked out and people are asking if it was an early stoppage?

WTF?

Rose would have killed her without a ref stopping it. That was great ref work and that fight was over.

Near perfect stoppage. Maybe I would have let one or two more hammer fist hit before ending the fight, but at the same time she went down like a rock.

I don't mind the stoppage, but I can understand why any fighter would protest it. There's no doubt that she was hurt. To what extent we can only speculate. We can all say what we want behind the safety of our keyboards and screens, but the fact is that anyone that has watched this sport for a number of years has seen fighters continue after having their bell rung on that level. We all wanted to see more rounds, but I always lean towards fighter safety first. Come back and fight another day. I hope Zhang will be around for a long time, so I'm good with the stoppage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back