Washington D.C. has the highest concentration of psychopaths in the USA

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This wasn't my thread. I was in the middle of creating the below reply to a thread in the Mayberry which the TS suddenly deleted without explanation. There's no reason to undelete that thread, but there's also no reason we can't discuss this. It's better suited for the War Room, IMO, since it will invariably turn political despite that politicizing this is silly.

This was the article that TS cited.
More Psychopaths Live in This Part of the United States than Anywhere Else, New Study Shows

****************************************************************************************************************

I Googled to find the actual study, and I noticed Uproxx was the only other outlet carrying it (*Edit* this is wrong, btw, but it and the Newsweek article were the only ones that showed up with the particular search query I used).
https://uproxx.com/life/psychopathic-state-rankings-new-study/

I love the following. This is the opening paragraph to the Uproxx author's article. His name is Dan Seitz:
It’s the perfect little bit of scientific viral goodness: A new study looks at the traits of psychopaths and you can totally guess which city is number one in America! The red states get to make jokes, the blue states get to make jokes, and we all get to make fun of Connecticut, which came in second only to grand champion of psychopathy: DC.
Actually, since this is going to turn political no matter what, it's almost entirely the red states who get to make jokes if you travel to the bottom of the article containing the Top 10:
  1. Connecticut
  2. California
  3. New Jersey
  4. New York
  5. Wyoming
  6. Maine
  7. Wisconsin
  8. Nevada
  9. Illinois
  10. Virginia

BTW:
  • Washington D.C.

I'm sure this observation is purely unrelated to the fact that our Uproxx contributor suddenly stops reporting on this academic's study, and immediately launches into a diatribe attempting to refute the study as if he were an intellectual in this field himself:
One teeeeensy problem, though: The study doesn’t hold up. Let’s start with the findings as they were published. Conducted by Ryan Murphy, a research assistant professor at Southern Methodist University’s O’Neil Center for Global Markets and Freedom, the study is an attempt to look at “geographical psychology.”
His bio says only that he is a "grad student" who lives in Boston. His apparent Twitter says, "filmmaker, Internet comedy writer, advice columnist, juggler, tech nerd, begrudging Ubuntu user."

This guy likes to dabble.

To remind us all to maintain perspective, one should remember this is what the red/blue breakdown looks like if you zoom in just the tiniest bit:

Gastner_map_purple_byarea_bycounty.png

Here is the link to the abstract:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3185182

Not surprising since it's the power centrum of USA. Guess what psychopaths like? That's right, ice cream.

You need to be a psychopath to want to live in DC. If you're not really well-off then the part of DC you’ll be living in will be a shithole.

Also, woot, Virginia respresent.

I lived right outside of DC for a few short years. No psycho stories to report. Got catfished on Myspace once, but that's about it.

You need to be a psychopath to want to live in DC. If you're not really well-off then the part of DC you’ll be living in will be a shithole.

Also, woot, Virginia respresent.

I know one of very few non-psychopaths who are upper-middle and live in DC, he works for a liquor store chain in their corporate office. Job as a coping mechanism with that shit pit lol

I encountered way more psychopathic persons living in Bmore to be honest.

Nevada isn't even a firm red state. Yikes.

I'd be curious what the correlation between urban environments and psychopathy are, and if that's the story here. Having lived downtown in several metropolises, I can say that dealing with city life every day can drive you mad. And when you're constantly surrounded by so many people, you stop viewing your neighbors as neighbors. Everyone just becomes an impediment to you getting where you want to go. People are just pieces of meat that sit in cars and ruin your commute. They crowd the bars you like to go to. Their dogs shit on the sidewalks you walk on. And it's the same problems people deal with everywhere, but they're more concentrated. People don't have an infinite capacity to forgive, and that capacity is hit really quickly when you live in a dense urban area.

Living in the city can be dehumanizing. I didn't realize it until I got out of the city.

Murphy told Newsweek that he suspected a number of factors played a role in the variety of psychopathy we see in the results. “My own speculations would be that the urban/rural distinctions drive a lot of the variation, and the historical distribution of cultures within the United States have a lot to do with it as well,” he said.

I thought I read somewhere that psychopaths make the best military leaders, political leaders, CEOs etc.

Nevada isn't even a firm red state. Yikes.

I'd be curious what the correlation between urban environments and psychopathy are, and if that's the story here. Having lived downtown in several metropolises, I can say that dealing with city life every day can drive you mad. And when you're constantly surrounded by so many people, you stop viewing your neighbors as neighbors. Everyone just becomes an impediment to you getting where you want to go. People are just pieces of meat that sit in cars and ruin your commute. They crowd the bars you like to go to. Their dogs shit on the sidewalks you walk on. And it's the same problems people deal with everywhere, but they're more concentrated. People don't have an infinite capacity to forgive, and that capacity is hit really quickly when you live in a dense urban area.

Living in the city can be dehumanizing. I didn't realize it until I got out of the city.

kind of related news, Nordic countries have the highest concentration of cucks. Source: The real world.

Is this related to the fact that Washington DC also has the highest murder rate out of any state?

I for one am shocked. Who would have thought that psychopaths would be attracted to power and it's benefits.

Back