Movies Watchmen vs. The Avengers - Which is the better film?

Which is the better film?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love both of these films. One of is the more darker superhero film, the other are more classic feel to it.

But both are wonderful.

I have to think about this one.

Watchmen - (plot summary):

"Watchmen" is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight.

When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes.

As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity... but who is watching the Watchmen?"

The Avengers - (plot summary):

Loki, the adopted brother of Thor, teams-up with the Chitauri Army and uses the Tesseract's power to travel from Asgard to Midgard to plot the invasion of Earth and become a king.

The director of the agency S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury, sets in motion project Avengers, joining Tony Stark a.k.a. the Iron Man; Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America; Bruce Banner, a.k.a. The Hulk; Thor; Natasha Romanoff, a.k.a. Black Widow; and Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye, to save the world from the powerful Loki and the alien invasion.

I prefer darker films, Watchmen is a little too slow in the 2nd act but I love the overall concept.
Avengers and MCU in general to me is meh~ I really like Infinity War though.

EDIT:
I'm like movies with interesting concept and great character building.
I dislike movies that relies heavily on CGI and entire 3rd act that is just CGI clusterfuck.

So my vote is biased.

Avengers is the better film I think or at least a lot more enjoyable.

Watchmen is pretty good though and has a nice style to it. Also a pretty good adaptation of the book.

DC/Marvel shit is for kids, i've not been a kid for decades, so all of these movies have passed me by, however, i'm still going to vote in the poll

boobs.gif

the one she's in...<{jackyeah}>

Watchman kinda underwhelming because we didn't have enough time to flesh out the lore. It would be an awesome TV series today. The movie wasn't bad at all but there is so much more story missing.

Watchmen is easily the better standalone film, cinematographically speaking.

Avengers is more more fun and enjoyable as piece of entertainment but also stand on the shoulders of prequel-like character introductions and development.

Watchmen easily. Avengers is a pretty generic superhero popcorn flick. I think the Watchmen is better at every facet. Better story, better writing, more compelling villain, better visuals, way more thought provoking. It's pretty dark compared to Avengers so I could see why that's a turn off for some people.

They are drastically different films despite both being comic book based.

Avengers was ground breaking for the lead up to it and seeing all them on screen at once.

Watchmen is much much darker in tone and theme.

I gotta give a slight edge to Watchmen despite being a big marvel fan.

I really liked both but I’ll probably never see watchmen again. It’s to depressing really. One guy borderline rapes a girl then ends up having a child with her. The whole ending was depressing.

Reminds me of requiem for a dream. Very good movie but it’s depressing as fuck.

Watchmen by remixing the koyaanisqatsi score

Avengers is the better film I think or at least a lot more enjoyable. Watchmen is pretty good though and has a nice style to it. Also, a pretty good adaptation of the book.

Watchmen easily. Avengers is a pretty generic superhero popcorn flick. I think the Watchmen is better at every facet. Better story, better writing, more compelling villain, better visuals, way more thought provoking. It's pretty dark compared to Avengers so I could see why that's a turn off for some people.
We could argue over the technical aspects, but I think they were both executed brilliantly. Watchmen did have a great noir feel, with the cinematography and costumes being top notch. The story, writing, compelling villain and thought-provoking plot are thanks to the source material and not inherent to the movie. The movie improved on the graphic novel by omitting all the black-pirate, floating islands of corpses shite that besmirched an otherwise perfect comic story. The Avengers is a new (or amalgam of existing) story using the beloved characters.
At the end of the day a movie should entertain you, these both did, but one has been rewatched repeatedly and the other was basically a one and done. So....Avengers Assemble.

Both get about 7/10, difference is Wacthmen could have been so much better and The Avengers was basically as good as you were going to get.

There is a lot to recommend The Watchmen. It's visually incredible. There are some really strong performances, and large parts of it feel true to the book. But ultimately it suffers from a lack of understanding of the core meaning of the source material. It was a profoundly human book, and they spent the whole movie trying to make these costumed heroes into super heroes.

Avengers was ambitious in it's own way, but it really had a handle on the subject matter. The ambition of the Nick Fury's effort to make these characters work together as a team is mirrored in Wheadon's ambition to make them work together in a film. It's been 10+ years since and still no one has really figured out how to pull off a "cinematic universe" since.

Watchmen, and by a wide margin.

Snyder > Wheaton, by a wide margin.

Unpopular opinion - Snyder's directing style is 10/10 for direct adaptations of comic book storylines, like 300 & Watchmen, and he unofficially directed the action scenes of Wonder Woman 2017.

For his other comic book movies, it really shows how scripts are the #1 most important aspect in the quality of a film. His directing was as great in those movies as 300 & Watchmen, but the scripts were.... not. And ironically, he as a director took most of the blame. (Although he's also producer & co-script writer for most of his projects)

Back