"We tried to be a two division champ 10 years ago, but they wanted us to relinquish the belt"

One has to remember that Aldo and the UFC constantly argued. Aldo was openly critical. Also Aldo would pull out of fights. Aldo having two belts wouldnt be the smartest move when you consider their business relationship.

Look at who they let get shots at 2 belts. People they can do good business with.

Pederneiras said he never made a real diet to cut weight to make FW. In the interview he said that in some fights, Aldo started cutting weight only in the week of the fight. This explains why he "suffered" to make weight, but he really never did it "professionally" . Dedé said that now, he's been given his diet both by his own nutritionist and the UFC's.

Complete BS, when he was champ he cut from 170

Complete BS, when he was champ he cut from 170
What I meant was, he had to cut weight, but he never did it the right way, with a proper diet. He used to do it his own way, without nutritionist or a proper diet.

What I meant was, he had to cut weight, but he never did it the right way, with a proper diet. He used to do it his own way, without nutritionist or a proper diet.

He walked around at 170. The idea that he didn't cut weight is ridiculous. This is just his coach making up a fake narrative.

https://www.espn.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/21357/aldo-easier-cut-means-no-move-up

And he definitely didn't manage his own weight cut. He trains out of the top mma gym in Brazil and was the reigning champ.

"Nova Uniao's weight-cutting practices have drawn attention this year thanks (mostly) to the Barao situation, but Pederneiras has defended the camp's methods. In an interview with Sherdog.com, Pederneiras said the camp's program has even been looked at by Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, one of the top universities in Brazil."

Whatever you heard is BS excuses.

Very sad, Aldo couldve been the first double champ but UFC is American, they only give those opporunities to English speakers? Conor, DC, BJ, Nunes, GSP, Randy..
Nunes and English-speaking are two words that I never thought I would hear/see in the same sentence. Not in this lifetime

Dana actually cared back then, or maybe the Fertittas made him care. Either way, he doesn't care now.

In hindsight though, Aldo should've done it. If Aldo beats Frankie, everyone would consider him a two-weight world champion IMO regardless of if he had to relinquish the belt first. Would've been better than losing it in t'irteen seconds to Conor McGregor after Conor clowned and berated him for months.

One has to remember that Aldo and the UFC constantly argued. Aldo was openly critical. Also Aldo would pull out of fights. Aldo having two belts wouldnt be the smartest move when you consider their business relationship.

Look at who they let get shots at 2 belts. People they can do good business with.

You mean like Conor who has never defended a belt?

This is common knowledge. Same thing happened when he tried to go up and fight Pettis. Dana and his bullshit double standards. He definitely acquiesced to the desires of anyone else who recently looked to be a double champ by letting them keep their belts.

In my mind, that first Edgar fight was basically a lightweight title fight for Aldo anyway.

For those who forgot:
View attachment 781044

... but Pettis was scheduled to go down to 145 for that fight at UFC 163. Then he got injured and Zombie filled in, before T.J. Grant lost his lightweight title shot due to injury a few weeks later, so Pettis stayed at 155 and armbarred Bendo for the lightweight belt.
Not sure if Aldo was ever going up to fight Pettis at 155, honestly.

... but Pettis was scheduled to go down to 145 for that fight at UFC 163. Then he got injured and Zombie filled in, before T.J. Grant lost his lightweight title shot due to injury a few weeks later, so Pettis stayed at 155 and armbarred Bendo for the lightweight belt.
Not sure if Aldo was ever going up to fight Pettis at 155, honestly.

Wrong. Andre and Aldo were willing to go to 155 for the fight as long as they didn't have to relinquish the 145 title.

145," Pederneiras said. "If we don't need to vacate our featherweight title to fight for the lightweight belt, we accept the fight. Aldo will be Pettis' next challenger for the lightweight title..."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/...lightweight-title-dana-white-ufc-164-mma-news

You mean like Conor who has never defended a belt?
Conor made so much money they didnt care about that. They could make money off him even when he didnt fight.

Aldo never had that kind of drawing power.

People like DC Conor and Nunes were there right when they needed em,to remove problematic champs like Miocic,Aldo,and Cyborg.

I’m hindsight it’s truly CRAZY how GSP, Anderson and Aldo never got a free shot to another title without relinquishing their belt. These were multiple defense champions who cleared out their divisions. Nowadays once a new champion comes around they’re already talking about moving weight divisions.

Aldo barely ever spoke back then, and wasn't a sell for the casuals. No way they'd put 2 straps on him.

It's bullshit but makes sense from a business stand point imo

Nunes and English-speaking are two words that I never thought I would hear/see in the same sentence. Not in this lifetime
It was an assumption on my part.. Im deaf so i dont hear the accents. I dont remember seeing Nunes post-fight with an interpreter, so yeah to me she speaks English.
Fair to say her English is better than Aldo's?

It was an assumption on my part.. Im deaf so i dont hear the accents. I dont remember seeing Nunes post-fight with an interpreter, so yeah to me she speaks English.
Fair to say her English is better than Aldo's?

Marginally.

Dana actually cared back then, or maybe the Fertittas made him care. Either way, he doesn't care now.

They way I've heard it, it was Joe Silva the matchmaker who was the one that really opposed to the idea of multidivision champs.

Yet to this day Aldo still hasn’t fought at LW.

Instead he now fights at BW for fuck sake

Back