Weakest Champ since Ping?

I guess a better equivalent would be Oliviera.

Everyone knew he was good but it wasn't til he got near the top that he turned over a new leaf and became very very very good.

Who knows Strickland could do something along those lines. And put it all together, he also could not. Only time will tell.

Don't get me wrong. Ping was a good fighter but no one really disputes that his win was a little lucky and that it was a travesty to have him defend against an aging top 15 fighter and retired WW.

Sean is decent. Reminds of Nick Diaz without the grappling.

Does anyone really think he'd beat any of these guys when they were top 10

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

I dont even see him getting past the likes of Sonnen, Okami or Kennedy

Costa probably KOs him
Bo and Khamzat grapple fuck him

Shit I could even see MW Robbie Lawler KO him

When you look at it like that you realize Izzys reign wwas over a weaker division than the Silva era

Cringe at trying to make "Ping" a thing 6 years after the man retired. This is why we need a dislike button.

Oh I know,

Wait Nate Diaz?

Of course he'd lose, he does well when people don't fight with a consistent gamelan.

Strickland outboxes Nate easy off what he showed last night.

And I remember back when Anderson beat Sakurai, i remember him beating Newton and Stiebling, I'm talking about the period after that when he wasn't so much as mentioned unless it was talking about how good his striking was and how he had good potential if he had a better ground game.

I remember your act from long, long ago.
I'm sure you remember that a majority on here though Leben was going to win.
(I certainly did not)

I think by Nate he refered to Nate Marquardt. Sherbros love to talk about "mental issues" when they can't tell about technical issues.

Marquardt's footwork was very poor, he was prone to get outpointed in the feet, by Saffiedinne or by Okami, or by Misaki or Kampman among others when Marquardt didnt find his KO shot or couldnt take the fight to the ground. He was a very good KO artist, but a limited striker from the outside

I think by Nate he refered to Nate Marquardt. Sherbros love to talk about "mental issues" when they can't tell about technical issues.

Marquardt's footwork was very poor, he was prone to get outpointed in the feet, by Saffiedinne or by Okami, or by Misaki or Kampman among others when Marquardt didnt find his KO shot or couldnt take the fight to the ground. He was a very good KO artist, but a limited striker from the outside

Oh duh doi, I just woke up. I need coffee.
Granted one of the first things that comes to mind is the Woodley fight, he really went rose to the occasion there (where Diaz can't ever truly break into the title picture)

He also look awesome against Gouveia from the outside that Tekken-esque combo still really is memorable today.

As a whole though, Marquardt kinda had Forrest Griffin Syndrome , decent to solid at most things but wasn't amazing at any one thing.

Another thing to factor in was he was pretty deep in his career by the time he even went to the UFC.

I mean what year was he Champ in Pancrase? 2000 or something.

I do remember Genki beat him early.
But then we went on a bit of a streak til Ricardo Almeida I think (another example of facing someone with a singular strength that was a bit lopsided against Marquardts.

Then on the winning end, I think marquardts win over Maia tells the opposite story.
It was the furthest thing from a lucky shot.

But yeah, I'd give Marquardt around 7s across the board.

Strickland is a more high and low mix.

I mean his cardio is definitely a 10.
Strickland also has the right mindset to improve drastically (I mean what fighters go train with the person that just KOed them brutally)

Strickland isn't a case of a fighter where he loses and all confidence is gone and they fall off the edge of the cliff.

Enough of my rambling.
All in all, I say we just need to see Maybe two more fights to get a true read on where he's going with this.

I mean he beat the guy almost no one else I the division could beat, while doing it where the champ was at his most cpmfortable.

sean has alot of unknowns. too early to judge.

but he is already ahead of bisping imo. Dominating adesanya for 5 rounds in the standup is more impressive than 'catching' rockhold in 1. Bisping also tarnished his reign by refusing the trilogy, fighting #10 dan henderson, and then losing his belt to a WW.

Rockhold gasses most likely have Strickland favored.

Weren't they supposed to fight in 2021? The press conference alone would have been hilarious.

Jesus Christ, it’s like all the worst stereotypes of the MMA fan base is coming out to speak their mind after 293.

We have all the fair weather fans saying that Strickland is next level, despite the obvious fact that his career up until Saturday was fairly mid-level. Then we have all the neck-beard-geriatric asshats saying how the division was better before. We also have the obvious fighter bashers saying that Izzy was never that good…

We had a strong, mostly dominant, champion for several years doing more than the vast majority of champions are able to do.

I love the sport, but man, I really hate the fans.

Don't get me wrong. Ping was a good fighter but no one really disputes that his win was a little lucky and that it was a travesty to have him defend against an aging top 15 fighter and retired WW.

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

Costa probably KOs him

When you look at it like that you realize Izzys reign wwas over a weaker division than the Silva era
"Lucky"?

Let's give him a chance to prove himself. I think this is the best Sean has ever looked. Everything is coming together for him now... pressure, distance control, legkick defense. Let's see if he's a one hit wonder or he can keep it up.
I like how he's champ and rated 2nd lol, completely disrespectful. I guess fighters can't and don't improve ? Lol

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

Costa probably KOs him

Easily beats Franklin, Okami, Kennedy, Bustamante and Post USADA Vitor (not TRT Vitor). IMHO!

Nick has overrated grappling.when was the last time he submitted a prime fighter?

I've always looked at it like that.

Even Robert Whittaker, as much as everyone likes him, is basically a scrub.

Rob Whittaker is elite AT NOTHING.

When you look at fighters like Khabib, Pereira, etc. ... they literally have no peer in certain (or multiple) areas.

They also come to fight. Not run & hide, evade, move.

Anderson Silva had all the movement in the world, the technique, etc.

And Silva was a fighter, a killer.
He wanted to end the fight, whether it be by KO, or submission.
Silva took risks, and got incredible highlight reels because of his skill + desire to finish.

By contrast, Izzy would rather run and hide.
He basically only has 3 to 4 KO's on his highlight reel.

Unfortunately, he has just as many "non-highlight reels" where he is literally running from his opponent.

That is not the stuff of which legends are made.
How is Rob not Elite? His resume is absurd at middleweight.

You might be the lowest IQ poster on sherdog. Periera has a fuck ton of piers. He was double champ in kickboxing's 2 worst divisons and is imo the clear lesser fighter compared to Vakhitov

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

Costa probably KOs him

The only people who have beaten him at MW are a former MW champion and a closely contested fight against Cannonier, which could have easily been a win for Sean.

Let's give him a chance to prove himself. I think this is the best Sean has ever looked. Everything is coming together for him now... pressure, distance control, legkick defense. Let's see if he's a one hit wonder or he can keep it up.

100% agree. People are so eager to put limitations on what they think fighters might be capable of. You'd think people would learn from Sean proving a lot of people wrong, over and over again, in a lot of his fights.

Strickland took no damage in a 5 round fight with the champion who many were calling the GOAT at MW.

Strickland also beat him in 4 of 5 rounds, and out-struck the best striker in the division, even managing to drop him.

I'm sure there are far worse stylistic matchups for him than Izzy, but man you guys are rushing to hate. Give him a chance and let's see how he does.

Nobody made a Ping from the Office joke damn what's the world coming to

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

Costa probably KOs him

Big Sean would end all these bums.

Let us be honest.

Back