Weakest paths to a title or reign?

It doesn't matter that you think Robbie lost to Condit, officially Robbie retained his title. Besides, Woodley has a win over Condit.
Official doesn’t matter, condit won on points

And woodley ‘beating’ condit doesn’t matter becuase it wasn’t for the title which is the point of interest in this discussion, and it was a fluke leg tko injury on the leg that woodley didn’t even kick

So in other words what you said is completely irrelevant

Leon’s path to the belt was the easiest.

He beat a bunch of lightweights, sat out two years, beat another lightweight, and got a welterweight title show.

Lol, this thread is something else. Guys mentioning Khabib as an easy path to title. The dude was on a 9 fight win streak with wins over RDA, Barboza and MJ. He then went to defend his title against 3 fighters who were all ranked in top15 p4p at the time and finished them all. His run was spectacular and one of the best in UFC history.

How about Aldo? No one is talking about him. He was just given the UFC title. Then got another title shot at a different weight class, while on a 2 fight losing streak. Even Conor’s title shots were more earned.

Path to a title is probably Anderson Silva…

For reign, I would say Dillashaw’s first title reign or Liddell’s title reign…

techinically speaking and people are not going to like this but anderson silva. he got a title shot after one fight, not saying he didn't deserve it but literally nobody gets sling shotted that quickly to the belt.

Path to a title is probably Anderson Silva…

For reign, I would say Dillashaw’s first title reign or Liddell’s title reign…

Matt Serra had way less credentials when he got to fight for the tittle than Silva, who had beat several UFC tittle contenders in Sakurai, Newton or Horn, apart from dispatching Leben.

And if you want to overlook legit wins out of UFC, then why not just say Sakurai. Or Dan Henderson. Or many others.

From any standpoint, to pick Silva here just doesnt make any sense

Matt Serra had way less credentials when he got to fight for the tittle than Silva, who had beat several UFC tittle contenders in Sakurai, Newton or Horn, apart from dispatching Leben.

And if you want to overlook legit wins out of UFC, then why not just say Sakurai. Or Dan Henderson. Or many others.

From any standpoint, to pick Silva here just doesnt make any sense

Sakurai or Henderson didn’t win their title matches…

If it was just based on that, I would’ve said that Soto guy Dillashaw fought.

The pajama cuddlers were obsessed with Busta back in the day. His UFC/Pride record vs non-Japanese cans was 2-6 - (Nakamura was the only Japanese guy he fought I consider not a can and Busta lost to him). Lindland was the only guy worth a shit that he ever beat.

And yet the butt floppers were convinced he was Jesus.

I wasnt in sherdog back then, but It was the MMA community, including fellow fighters, who were giving Bustamante high praise

The fact he took the way bigger Rampage and Liddel to controversial decisions, or the 100lbs heavier Tom Eriksson to a draw, should give you some clue about why

But if you are a textbook shertard who just look for the most recognizable name in the win column of fight finder or wikipedia to rate a given fighter, then you dont understand shit. Is normal

I wasnt in sherdog back then, but It was the MMA community, including fellow fighters, who were giving Bustamante high praise

The fact he took the way bigger Rampage and Liddel to controversial decisions, or the 100lbs heavier Tom Eriksson to a draw, should give you some clue about why

But if you are a textbook shertard who just look for the most recognizable name in the win column of fight finder or wikipedia to rate a given fighter, then you dont understand shit. Is normal

Nah, I understand Busta was pretty good, he just had a cultish following of ball lickers that would rival any in MMA history in their weird devotion to him. Judging by your reaction to my post, you sound like one of them.

I didn't say he was a bum. The worshipping just didn't align with his actual record.

Its the same as Charles weight miss against Justin. The UFC could not call him the champion but they booked Charles for a title fight against Islam in his next fight. I suspect they would not be contractually obligated to pay Charles PPV points as he was not a champion defending against Islam but they likely did honor his contract as if he were champion or risk him not fighting and muddying the LW title lineage he had just established.

If Iaquinta had won the Khabib fight he would have fought for the "Vacant" title but the UFC would have called him champion. It would have been interesting to see if they would have brought in a belt had he won??? I wonder if they could just declare him the Interim Champion with that victory???
Jose Aldo
Dominic Cruz &
Ronda Rousey

All brought UFC belts with them into their UFC debuts as well as the press conferences prior to their UFC debuts.

The "rules" are taken as little more than a suggestion by UFC. They do what they think will make more money.

Lol, this thread is something else. Guys mentioning Khabib as an easy path to title. The dude was on a 9 fight win streak with wins over RDA, Barboza and MJ. He then went to defend his title against 3 fighters who were all ranked in top15 p4p at the time and finished them all. His run was spectacular and one of the best in UFC history.

How about Aldo? No one is talking about him. He was just given the UFC title. Then got another title shot at a different weight class, while on a 2 fight losing streak. Even Conor’s title shots were more earned.

Aldo?? His situation isn't related to the topic because Aldo was the champion in another organization the UFC absorbed. Come on...you know this.

Jose Aldo
Dominic Cruz &
Ronda Rousey
All three won their UFC debut title defenses. I wonder if they had lost their fights if they would have still had a belt to keep? You are right at the end of the day the belts are literally a "Promotional Tool" or something along those lines in the UFC contract iirc. I think it was something I read in Alvarez' contract when it became public in the Bellator right to match dispute.

In light of the bald goofs recent comment,
“You become a f—king world champion in the UFC, you went through death f—king row of the baddest motherf—kers in the sport in your division that you can possibly fight,” he continued.

I was thinking:

Who had the easiest runs to a title and title reigns? We all know guys like Merab, Belal, and Tony could go on double digit win streaks and still get passed over for guys like Chito and Colby, so who are the guys that were seemingly gifted title shots, never having gone through “death f—ing row” to get or remain there?

I think Usman is a prime example, fighting Colby x2, Masvidal x2, and Giblert Burns in his reign.
Jon Jones is another, having only one fight at HW against Gane to become Champ.

What are some others?
Cain literally beat only JDS and BigFoot during his reign... after winning the title from a Post-Diverticulitis Lesnar

All three won their UFC debut title defenses. I wonder if they had lost their fights if they would have still had a belt to keep? You are right at the end of the day the belts are literally a "Promotional Tool" or something along those lines in the UFC contract iirc. I think it was something I read in Alvarez' contract when it became public in the Bellator right to match dispute.
They would have had a belt.
It would have been the paper-est of paper championships though.
That was back in the era where you get a new belt for every title fight win.

They were "promoted to undisputed champion" upon UFC acquisition of WEC and Strikeforce and their first wins all considered "title defenses"

It would have been AWESOME if one of them had lost though, just to really spotlight the stupidity of that whole thing.

The part about it that rubs me the wrong way is that Cruz and Aldo got UFC belts for being the last WEC champs but Pettis didn't even get a title shot (until he earned one 2-3 years later) nor did any of the other champs above 155 iirc.

Ronda got to walk into the UFC with a belt but no other Strikeforce champs did, even though several of them would go on to beat the UFC champs and win legit titles.

The UFC title is still a tremendous achievement, but the reality is that all ufc belts are not equal and fighters with beneficial circumstances, such as prior fame, or coming from a desirable demographic the UFC is keen to cash in on can put a fighter on the fast track...

meanwhile other fighters can be on double digit unbeaten streaks and not even be included in THREE offered opponents, none of which coming off a win in the division they would get a title shot in.

They would have had a belt.
It would have been the paper-est of paper championships though.
That was back in the era where you get a new belt for every title fight win.

They were "promoted to undisputed champion" upon UFC acquisition of WEC and Strikeforce and their first wins all considered "title defenses"

It would have been AWESOME if one of them had lost though, just to really spotlight the stupidity of that whole thing.

The part about it that rubs me the wrong way is that Cruz and Aldo got UFC belts for being the last WEC champs but Pettis didn't even get a title shot (until he earned one 2-3 years later) nor did any of the other champs above 155 iirc.

Ronda got to walk into the UFC with a belt but no other Strikeforce champs did, even though several of them would go on to beat the UFC champs and win legit titles.

The UFC title is still a tremendous achievement, but the reality is that all ufc belts are not equal and fighters with beneficial circumstances, such as prior fame, or coming from a desirable demographic the UFC is keen to cash in on can put a fighter on the fast track...

meanwhile other fighters can be on double digit unbeaten streaks and not even be included in THREE offered opponents, none of which coming off a win in the division they would get a title shot in.
The situation with Rhonda, Aldo & Cruz getting UFC belts would be acceptable being that there was no UFC division and the entire WEC roster and Strikeforce WBW roster were coming along in those acquisitions.

Pettis unfortunately came along when Frankie and Maynard ended in a draw. There was no way the UFC could not have that 3rd fight and its a good thing they did. Pettis took a fight with Clay Guida instead of sitting out and waiting and unfortunately lost.

With Strikeforce it was varied Reem vacated HW July 2011, Dan Henderson vacated Sept 2011 and both joined the UFC roster.

At MW Luke's title was vacated when Strikeforce was dissolved Jan 12, 2013.
At WW Nick Diaz vacated and joined the UFC June 2011.
A new WW champ was crowned when Marquardt beat Woodley and Saffiedine took it from him to be the last SF WW champ. It was vacated when SF was dissolved.

The SF LW title was "Unified" when Benson fought "Giblert".

When Pride was bought LHW & MW (MW & WW) were unified with Dan fighting Anderson and Rampage. Gomi never unified as he left for WVR and had a loss to Sergey Golyaev. He also lost to Nick Diaz but that was overturned.

There certainly is no hard and fast rule.

Usman only had an easy reign becuase welterweight was kind of shit when he became champion, atleast in terms of who was right there for a title shot (no one really), so they just gave it to whoever was making noise despite not deserving it. He didn’t really duck anyone

McGregor at lightweight obviously, didn’t earn the shot

Chito, like you said. O malley also (one ranked robbery win)

Islam, jamahal hill, poatan, stipe when he fights jones, colby and masvidal as previously mentioned, although the colby one is more esoteric to me cause I don’t think he beat rda

Woodley beat a guy who wasn’t champion for the belt (Robbie), draw against wonderboy so fair enough they run it back, wonderboy shits the bed and loses a close fight even though he probably could have won if he tried a bit more , maia shooting takedowns with no setup for 25 minutes, till who arguably didn’t win his title eliminator, making his best win a rapidly declining cerrone. He got off pretty easy

All these early 2000s guys who came in with no ufc wins and got a title shot
Usman only had an easy reign becuase welterweight was kind of shit when he became champion, atleast in terms of who was right there for a title shot (no one really), so they just gave it to whoever was making noise despite not deserving it. He didn’t really duck anyone

McGregor at lightweight obviously, didn’t earn the shot

Chito, like you said. O malley also (one ranked robbery win)

Islam, jamahal hill, poatan, stipe when he fights jones, colby and masvidal as previously mentioned, although the colby one is more esoteric to me cause I don’t think he beat rda

Woodley beat a guy who wasn’t champion for the belt (Robbie), draw against wonderboy so fair enough they run it back, wonderboy shits the bed and loses a close fight even though he probably could have won if he tried a bit more , maia shooting takedowns with no setup for 25 minutes, till who arguably didn’t win his title eliminator, making his best win a rapidly declining cerrone. He got off pretty easy

All these early 2000s guys who came in with no ufc wins and got a title shot
Although I do agree with Islam, that’s a tough one, because he can beat the top 5 on paper. Him getting the title does make sense, but he didn’t beat those big name guys. I don’t know if I would say gifted though. Did he get his title shot after the Bobby Green win?

Back