Wedding ring on/off while training?

Get something like a miniature karabiner on your keychain.

I have one onto which is fastened my little gym entry tag so I don't have to lug around my massive bunch of f*cking keys and remotes for the judo club, home, cars, the PO box etc... when I am training.

Makes it easy to snap on my wedding ring and take it off again after training.

I take mine off. I've trained with it on, but I'm scared I'm going to break my finger or hand and then the ring will have to be cut off. I leave it at home before I go train. Either that, or I'll leave it locked up in my car(not the best option, but sometimes I forget I have it on).

For those of you who are married, do you take off your wedding band while training? I've always left it on because I'm about 90% certain I'll somehow lose it if I take off. Anyhow, a classmate told me I should take it off, but couldn't really explain why. What do you guys do?

I take mine off. I have a simple titanium band, but fling my hand the wrong way and it could possibly cut someone. I may also lose it and have it fly off somewhere.

I leave my ring at home before going to the gym, which is 90% of the time. I only wear my ring when I am going out with no possibility of training.

Oh man, please, please, please take the ring off. I've seen the finger stripping in person and it's upsetting.

Yeah I used to always take it off but now I guess my fingers have swollen cause I can't get the thing off now. I doesn't feel to tight but I can't get it over the knukle.

Yeah I used to always take it off but now I guess my fingers have swollen cause I can't get the thing off now. I doesn't feel to tight but I can't get it over the knukle.
My knuckles have swollen also. Grappling (gi) f#cks them up.

So I find I have to be able to get it off in the first go, otherwise it is harder.

I lick the finger, then pull and twist. That usually works.

You could also go to a jeweller and ask them to bevel/round the INSIDE edge of the ring. I had this done when we purchased the ring many years ago because I knew it would have to come off and on and the jeweller gave me the excellent advice that this could be done.

I looked for it on Google images and got like 20 different pictures of exactly the same thing. So it's common enough that it probably happened from grappling, from electrical equipment, from rock climbing, from getting it caught on a garbage truck, etc, etc.

It's easy to take it off for grappling, so just take it off I say.

That just reminded me, I've heard of guys trying to disconnect car batteries and accidentally melting their wedding rings while they're wearing them. Horrible.

I have injured my knuckles and they swelled up a lot, if that happened to my ring finger while the ring was on I wouldn't be able to get it off. So I take it off first and keep it in a pocket in my gym bag that is zipped shut.

I've gotten some nasty cuts on my neck from other peoples' wedding bands. I know it might be a pain in the ass to take it off all the time but it's courteous. Didn't Budo Jake's finger swell up and had to have it cut off? The ring, not the finger.

Oh man, please, please, please take the ring off. I've seen the finger stripping in person and it's upsetting.

there it is people. and shes been on the mat more than most if not all of us.

Finding reasons to not take it off is just rationalizing a stupid decision.

If it's too small to take it off easily, you need to get it resized. Take it to the jewelry store, and they will fix it for you no problem. It's not even expensive.

Taking your ring off before you train takes like 1-2 seconds. There is no reason not to do it.

I've been in cars my whole life, and I've never been in a wreck bad enough that I would have really needed my seat belt. Still I put it on every time. Why? Because it takes like 1-2 seconds, and in the rare occasion I do need it, it is going to be worth way more than 1-2 seconds.

I've seen the thread Balto mentioned on the first page and it does not look like fun. I have one of these for my mouth guard and have it strapped on my bag. I just pop my ring into the carabiner clip too and it works like a charm. It takes next to no time.

deglovings are nasty. (gagging noises)

Also if you break your finger, it's pretty hard to get the ring off.

I used to wear it, but now take if off. There have been times when training nogi and people are gripping and have pulled my ring off. So now I just put it in my shoe on the side of the mats or leave it at home.

I take mine off. I've been cracked in the head with a wedding ring while rolling, and it didn't feel good.

deglovings are nasty. (gagging noises)

Also if you break your finger, it's pretty hard to get the ring off.

Excellent point! I've also dislocated a toe during sparring. I can imagine it's just as easy to dislocate or break a finger doing the same.

if you break/injure that finger.. they will need to cut it off..
I think it was Budo Jake that posted it some time ago as a good reason to take off your wedding ring as the swelling makes it get stuck and you need to get it cut off or you lose the finger.. your choice mate..

Took mine off. Put it somewhere so I wouldn't lose. Now I can't remember where. Wife will not be impressed!

I did this, too! I've been saying for over a year now that I just don't like the feel of rings, but I hope it pops up eventually. Knowing the wife, she found it and is waiting for me to fess up.

Hook it on your keychain. Too many reasons to take it off.

Back